50 greatest shows of all time

Drtooth

Reaction score
I used to feel the same way. Have you watched a few Buffys in sequential order? The writing is sharp. It is intended to be campy and often makes fun of itself.
Ehhh... to me, it was a show geeky people watched because they thought Sarah Michelle Gellar was hot. :rolleyes: (kidding... kidding...well, maybe just a little) I don't know why, but I never liked her. Had I known she played April in the new TMNT movie, I wouldn't have seen it (and coming from a green blooded TMNT fan, that is something). Not that she didn't do a great job, though. Don't know why I tolerated her in both Scooby Doo movies... of course, the woman playing Velma was hot....

I did like the Puppet show episode of Angel, though. But again, it's not my type of thing.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Um...that's not why any Buffy fan I've met likes the program

Ehhh... to me, it was a show geeky people watched because they thought Sarah Michelle Gellar was hot. :rolleyes: (kidding... kidding...well, maybe just a little) I don't know why, but I never liked her. Had I known she played April in the new TMNT movie, I wouldn't have seen it (and coming from a green blooded TMNT fan, that is something). Not that she didn't do a great job, though. Don't know why I tolerated her in both Scooby Doo movies... of course, the woman playing Velma was hot....

I did like the Puppet show episode of Angel, though. But again, it's not my type of thing.
I would admit it if true, but I'm unfortunately not that geeky a guy (except when it comes to Muppets). Odd, but not geeky per say - and my libido swings the other way so Gellar's hotness factor doesn't phase me. She's okay, I guess. Depends upon the lighting. Anyway, I find that reasoning presumptuous and contrary to my taste for the show. I've met fans of all types in my daily life. If I watched a science fiction television program for hotness value I’d still be tuning into Smallville or Supernatural, but those programs don’t have the qualities I admire from Joss Whedon’s work.

It was Buffy’s clever writing that got me. I must admit that I was initially dismissive of the show and passed it off as a guilty pleasure until seeing enough episodes to note how well crafted it was in many respects. That's what kept people coming back, not the star-power or hotness factor. It really didn't have much of either. However, if you'd watched a few full episodes Buffy you'd realize that title aside it was very much an ensemble show.

I didn't like Gellar's work in the Scooby Doo movies, but hers’ was not the worst performance. Her husband, Freddy Prinze Jr. (who I probably should find hot, but don't) made for a horrible Fred!

My love of film (well, maybe I'm film geeky) would not prevent me from seeing a picture due to the inclusion of any particular actor. If that were true I would have missed every Kevin Costner movie (and there are a few good ones). I don't understand that logic. I didn’t agree with casting Gellar for April in the latest TMNT movie. She wasn’t horrible, but didn’t bring anything to the table either. It could have been anyone. :rolleyes:

Somebody should coin a new phrase for this like “Chipmunked” (after the recent motion picture) for pointless voice casting of trendy actors that serves no purpose except promotion.

Recap of Buffy attributes: Clever writing, story archs, character relationships, modern mythology, campy, witty with a sense of humor about itself.

I can still see why some wouldn't give it a chance and why others, even given a chance, still may not find it their thing. No judgements either way. :attitude:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I didn't like Gellar's work in the Scooby Doo movies, but hers’ was not the worst performance. Her husband, Freddy Prinze Jr. (who I probably should find hot, but don't) made for a horrible Fred!
Fred's Fred made him come off way too stupid, instead of the straight headed leader of the group. I blame the script too.

I didn’t agree with casting Gellar for April in the latest TMNT movie. She wasn’t horrible, but didn’t bring anything to the table either. It could have been anyone. :rolleyes:
Funny thing about that. The studio wanted big names to appear in the film, and the Mirage group (the creators of TMNT) didn't want that. So they let them appear in the film, but you didn't know it was them until the end credits. It wasn't untli 2 weeks when the film was out did they actually do any advertising about what celebrities were in the film.

I exaggerate, though. i would have seen it anyway. Though, I heard that Grey Delise (Voice actress, current voice of Daphne in Scooby Doo, as well as Mandy in Billy and Mandy to name a few) was supposed to be in the film. Maybe she was penciled in to play April. Or at least did her voice in the scratch track.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Fred's Fred made him come off way too stupid, instead of the straight headed leader of the group. I blame the script too.
And don't for get the distracting and problematic blonde hair he has in those pictures. He seemed more like a club-kid's costume party Fred.

I'm showing my age here, but I remember when Tiffany (even then a pop-star past her prime) replaced the regular performer for Judy Jetson in their theatrical film. It was odd and unfortunate.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I'm showing my age here, but I remember when Tiffany (even then a pop-star past her prime) replaced the regular performer for Judy Jetson in their theatrical film. It was odd and unfortunate.
I felt the same way to at first, too.