1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

60 Years of Muppets...

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by beaker, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Shortflint

Shortflint New Member

Wow...60 years! That's so awesome. :)

Hmm...my wishes? A Disney California Muppet expansion would obviously be good for the franchise but, it wouldn't do me any good. I can't get all the way to California. :(

Normally, I would be all for a new TV special but, then I recently saw the Lady Gaga one and I've become a little more cautious. :sigh:

I think overall I want them to have a TV show again...though I wouldn't mind a Muppet video game...and more plushies. I love plushies.;)

2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

The Muppet Show and Muppet Babies on Netflix. that is my wish!

minor muppetz likes this.
  3. MUPPETFAN1976

MUPPETFAN1976 Active Member

Yes! A Muppet Video Game. There hasn't been one since 2002 or 2003. I would definitely buy it.

If I had to make the video game, the situation would go like this:

Kermit is frognapped. Piggy, Gonzo, and the gang have to save him from going to different years from The Muppets history. If you complete the level, you get a video clip (or more than one) from that year. Then, you can look at them later in your archive. For example, let's say the year is 1982. There would be a clip from The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show. Another example. The year is 1989. There would be a Jim Henson Hour clip.

minor muppetz and panmanthe2nd like this.
  4. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Wow- I had no idea the "Muppet Treasure Island" soundtrack went for such expensive prices...the CD is going for like $30 at the cheapest on Amazon.com and other places... I guess it's good I managed to pick up this CD some years ago at a thrift store somewhere...I'd suggest checking local thrift store and used music stores- you never what may pop up someplace. But if there's a burn-on-demand option for $17 or so- that's good to know- but still seems rather expensive to me.

5. MUPPETFAN1976

Everything's expensive these days.

6. GonzoLeaper

I don't know if anyone has ever suggested this before, but I was thinking it would be really awesome for the Muppets' 60th. anniversary if Disney would release The Muppet Show Season 4 and Season 5 on DVD.:smirk:;):crazy:

7. MUPPETFAN1976

I don't think anyone thought of that. However, that would be awesome!

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  8. GonzoLeaper

Yeah- it seemed crazy to me that no one's suggested that yet- like, ever. That's probably why Disney hasn't released it yet...Now we can get the ball rolling...:D:news::search::p:(:wisdom:

9. MUPPETFAN1976

However, we all want The Muppet Show Seasons 4 & 5 to be released on DVD.

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  10. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I wonder if such a game would include every year, or just select years. I don't think Disney owns any Muppet productions from before 1968 (which is when Hey Cinderella was produced). It'd be great if they could clear the rights to one Sam and Friends clip (I don't know if any episodes from 1955 exists, but I think I'd just list a 1955 level and include any clip anyway). Or maybe they could skip several years, though I'd like to include clips from all five seasons of The Muppet Show. Some eras would have more years that can be used than others.

And maybe Disney could clear the rights to certain Muppet clips owned by other companies. Muppet Race Mania (which was made before Disney bought the Muppets) has clips from all of the movies that were made at the time, regardless of whether they were owned by Henson, Disney, or Sony (which makes the PlayStation systems so it might not have been a problem to include clips from MTM and MFS).

As for gameplay itself, it would be cool if various Muppet villains (and characters close enough to be villains) would team up. Including Constantine, The Moopets, the Gorilla Television crew, MTI pirates, Blind Pew, Taminella, The Old Gypsy Lady, and the bad guys from The Muppet Musicians of Bremen.

Another option: In Epic Mickey style, Sam from Sam and Friends (Disney owns those characters but still needs permission from Henson) could kidnap Kermit out of jealousy over him becoming a star while Sam faded into obscurity. Or Kermit could get kidnapped by a new character who started out in show business when Kermit did but didn't make it. Or maybe Doc Hopper could kidnap Kermit.

11. MUPPETFAN1976

Yes! Doc Hopper would frognap Kermit! (Chaos at the carnival reference. Instead of pignapped used in the game, it would be frognapped)

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  12. panmanthe2nd

panmanthe2nd Active Member

I personally think it's unlikely to happen any time soon (but I'd be so happy to be wrong!), but Nicholas Stoller says...

http://collider.com/new-muppets-tv-show-news/

13. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

For that video game that was suggested, here's some clips I would include for each year (including some that Disney doesn't have the rights to):
    1955 - "That Old Black Magic" or "Visual Thinking" (even though The Muppets: A Celebration of 30 Years gives those clips later dates)
    1962- "Asparagus" (Purina Dog Chow)
    1968 - Kermit Meets Fairy Godmother (Hey Cinderella)
    1971 - "Frogs" (The Frog Prince)
    1974 - Koozebanian Galley-O-Hoop-Hoop (Muppets' Valentine)
    1975 - Aggression Sketch (Sex and Violence)
    - Journey to Beneath the Planet of the Pigs
    - Introducing Everybody (the first Muppet Meeting Film)
    1976 (all Muppet Show season one clips)
    - "Mahna Mahna"
    - Good Grief, The Comedian's a Bear!
    - At the Dance (let's say the one from the Rita Moreno episode)
    - Gorilla Detector
    1977 (all Muppet Show Season Two clips)
    - The Captain's Controls
    - "Don't Blame the Dynamite"
    - Cow in Vets Hospital
    - Gonzo Catches a Cannonball
    1978 (all TMS season three)
    - Chickee in the Baskee
    - Wig Racing
    - Octopuses Garden
    1979 (TMS season 4)
    - "Feelings"
    - "I've Got Rhythm"
    - Banana Sharpener
    - Dirth Nadir
    (The Muppet Movie clips)
    - Kermit's Bike Ride
    - Kermit and Fozzie's Dance Routine
    - Animal Eats a Seat Cushion
    1980 (TMS season 5)
    - "In the Navy"
    - Foo-Foo's Act
    - "Danny Boy"
    - Cheese News
    1981 (GMC clips)
    - Ninth Class
    - Developing Pictures
    - Rosenthall
    (Muppets Go to the Movies clips)
    - The Three Muskateers
    - Nephew of Frankenstein
    - A Tribute to Casablanca
    1982 - "The Lu-owl" (Fantastic Miss Piggy Show)
    1984 - (MTM clips)
    - Muppets Lockers
    - Rats Cook Breakfast
    1985 - Gonzo's Home (Muppet Weird Stuff)
    - "A Saxophone and a Bomb" (Muppet Moments)
    1987 - "Jingle Bell Rock" (MFC)
    1988 - Monster Jokes (Hey, You're as Funny as Fozzie Bear)
    1989 (Jim Henson Hour clips)
    - Leon Introduces the Show
    - Beanbo
    - Kermit and Vicki Talk About Ratings
    - Sweet Vacation
    - Miss Piggy's Hollywood Star
    1990 - "Cute is His Middle Name" (Muppets at Walt Disney World)
    - Disney World Tacos
    - Muppets Meet Mickey
    1991 - The Spirit of 3D (Muppet Vision 3D)
    - Sweetums' 3D Paddleball
    1992 - Geek Olympics (Good Morning America)
    - "Light the Lam Not The Rat!" (MCC)
    1993 - Wipe Out
    1994 - "Gotta Get That Name" (MCT)
    1996 (MTI clips)
    - Roll Call
    - "Just Play the Gig"
    - Gonzo and Rizzo Get Tortured
    (Muppets Tonight season one clips)
    - "TBA Means To Be Announced"
    - Miss Piggy's Infomercial
    - Elephino
    - Seinfeld Babies
    1997 (Muppets Tonight season two clips)
    - Johnny's Pasta Playhouse
    - Real World Muppets (Clifford's Privacy)
    1999 - "The Frog's Just Gotta Be Funky" (Muppetism)
    - "Too Much Coffee" (Muppetism)
    - "Door in a Jar" (MFS)
    2002 - "Gifts of the Magi" (It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie)
    2005 - The Witch is In the House (Muppets Wizard of Oz)
    - footage from America's Next Muppet
    2006 - clips from "From the Balcony"
    2007 - some of "Pepe's Elevator Videos" from Muppets.com
    2008 - Stars and Stripes Forever
    - Carrier Pigeons (Letters to Santa)
    2009 - Muppet Bohemian Rhapsody
    2010 (The Muppets Kitchen clips)
    - Snuggie parody
    - Frankfurter Stein
    - Rowlf at the Olympics
    2011 (The Muppets clips)
    - "The Third Greatest Gift"
    - Gonzo's Bowling Practice (deleted scene)
    - Rehearsals
    2014 (Muppets Most Wanted clips)
    - "Looks Like They Ordered a Sequel"
    - Kermit's Escapes
    - Constantine's Stage Freight

Regarding that video game idea, aside from collecting video clip, maybe there could be a "gallery" section, with character information (they could repeat some info from The Muppets Character Encyclopedia, correct some of the mistakes, and maybe add characters not in the book) and info on various Muppet props.

It'd also be cool if there was a CGI remake of The Muppet Show Theme. They could include characters (like Timmy) that would need to be rebuilt.

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  14. GonzoLeaper

If we're going to include non-Disney owned clips on the video game idea, could we sneak in some footage of the Fraggles in "Muppet Family Christmas" and some of the Sesame Street gang while we're at it? (Maybe the "Open Sesame" gag from the Marty Feldman episode of "The Muppet Show".) Also, it'd be nice to see Kermit's original performance of "Bein' Green" on "Sesame Street" somewhere.

panmanthe2nd likes this.
  15. MUPPETFAN1976

Yep.

GonzoLeaper likes this.
  16. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

If we're talking a new video game, I'd suggest a rerelease/re-tweaking of Muppet Racemania.

First off, we'd have to drop the Doozer playable character/racer and the levels that take place in the Fraggle Rock realm.
    Second, keep the four tracks devoted to each of the cinematically-released movies, but then we'd have to add four more tracks for The Muppets and another four for Muppets Most Wanted. I'd think that this can be accomplished best by taking the tracks that were already included in the original game based/taking place in the Muppet theater as the ones for The Muppets with Uncle Deadly as the movie-based boss racer for those courses. Then, for Muppets Most Wanted, we could have a track for all of the main locations: Germany, Spain, Ireland & England, and finally Russia. The tracks could also be based on the main locations such as the Hole in the Wall theater or the Big House Gulag. And of course, Constantine would be the movie-based boss racer.

panmanthe2nd likes this.
  17. MUPPETFAN1976

He would be the final boss.

Anyways, off of video game topics, if they are going to do an anniversary special, can't they have it like they did in 1986? Like a retrospective. All hosted by who else, Kermit the Frog.

GonzoLeaper and panmanthe2nd like this.
  18. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

I'm with you all the way on that!

19. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Oh I agree 100%. There needs to be an expansion to Muppet Vision 3d. Even if its just a small Swedish Chef food cart or whatever. If only they had made a Muppet ride.

And ugh, I hated every single second of the Lady Gaga special. However I loved the 2 hour Muppets takeover QVC shopping channel special.

We do deserve a good new Muppet game, not just cheap apps. Can't someone make a fun adventurous indie muppet game for phones/tablets at the very least?

20. MUPPETFAN1976

I counted 8 hours of the QVC Muppet Takeover and I watched every minute of it.