70`s Sesame Street Questions...

pkcckp

Reaction score
I have an episode where "Mah na na na" is performed by 3 muppets.
Not sure which episode# it is. In fact, I just watched it yeaterday with a buddy of mine.
The recording itself is available on a CD of hard to find instrumentals. It`s not by the Muppets but still an interesting number recorded in the 60`s I believe.

Xerus

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
If you happen to watch the video or DVD of "Learning the Alphabet" you will notice that the first muppet of Baby Bear was much more furry and also had a lower and gruffer voice.

And I just saw a very early version of Harry Monster, and did you know the early version of Harry had a hairy nose? LOL! :smile:
I remember Baby Bear making an appearance when Guy Smiley was taking 39 studio audience members to lunch. Baby Bear seemed to be number 35, right in front of the Martians. Shortly after this skit, he would be officially called Baby Bear.

pkcckp

Reaction score
How come when Mr. Hooper died, they didn`t do the episode of his death until 1983?? I read he died in 1982.

I was in high school around this time so I no longer watched the show regularly by this time.

pkcckp

Reaction score
More questions

another question for this thread:

Can someone please explain to an older generation fan like myself as to how the charachter of Elmo emerged into the Sesame Street series?

I understand he was an unnamed charachter when he started on the show in the 90`s.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Elmo's older than that. I think he started in the 70s as an anonymous monster and was performed by Brian Muehl and Richard Hunt. It was when Kevin Clash started performing him that he was known as 'Elmo.' I remember seeing that Elmo when I watched the show as a kid. It was sometime in the 80s. He was still Elmo, but not quite as popular as he is now.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
pkcckp said:
another question for this thread:

Can someone please explain to an older generation fan like myself as to how the charachter of Elmo emerged into the Sesame Street series?

I understand he was an unnamed charachter when he started on the show in the 90`s.
According to Caroll Spinney, the Elmo puppet first appeared in either season 2 or 3, where he was performed by Caroll Spinney and was known as baby Monster, who was part of a Monster Family who eventually stopped appearing on the show for some reason. This seems to be such an obscure fact that nobody on these boards have any memory of Elmo being around in the early seasons, and Caroll Spinney has been the only official source to mention this information (in his autobiography and at the Henson Film Festival from last November, and possibly during his book signings).

After the monster family stopped appearing (I don't know who the other members or performers were, but theres probably a father and mother monster, at least, and I suspect that Jim henson, Frank Oz, and/ or jerry nelson performed other members), the Elmo puppet was put into storage for a long time (instead of, say, being used in the backgorund of a scene), untill somebody came up with an idea for the Elmo character. It was decided to just use an existing puppet, instead of using a new design.

Elmo debuted in 1979 and was performed by Brian Meehle. Elmo started out as a minor character (although I guess he was important enough to have a proper name back then). Brian Meehle left the Muppets for a writing career (what has he written? the Internet Movie Database doesn't list any writing credits for him) in 1984, and most of his characters were given new performers. Richard Hunt performed Elmo (although in the Muppet Recasts section of Tough Pigs it says that Richard took over the role in 1981, but I think that is a mistake). However, Richard did not feel comfortable performing him, so he asked newcomer Kevin Clash to take over the role (Most sources say that Kevin Clash first performed Elmo in 1984, but I think 1985 might be more accurate).

When Kevin Clash started performing Elmo, Elmo started to become more of a main character. He wasn't really the star of the show yet, but he did have a major presence on the show. I believe that he was just as major as Herry Monster, Prarie Dawn, Hoots The Owl, Biff, Sully, and other supporting characters. Starting in the early 1990s, Elmo started to star in some of his own videos, including Elmos Sing-Along Guessing Game and The best of Elmo. Toys of Elmo were also starting to be produced. Elmo even started to star in some specials, including Elmo Saves Christmas.

Then, in 1996, a new Elmo toy, Tickle me Elmo, became a really hot item during the christmas season. Millions have sold. A few follow-ups have been produced. Other characters also got the tickle me treatment.

Soon, Elmo was starting to become more and more like the star, even more than Big Bird had been. In 1998, Elmo got his own 15 minute segment at the end of every episode, called Elmos World. He got his own movie, The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland. He even staretd to be in every special, video release, and even video and CD cover.

And I guess the rest is history.

Xerus

Reaction score
pkcckp said:
It would be really cool to see his first episode.
Elmo's first appearance was in a musical skit called, "We are all Monsters." It featured a blue monster with horns, a green monster, a gray monster with a tall head, and Elmo, who had no name and a completely different voice. They looked at each other and realized they were all different but they're the same because they're all monsters. Later on, they dubbed Kevin's voice into that classic skit.

You'll find this skit on the SS video, Monster Hits.

pkcckp

Reaction score
David

How did David leave the show? The actor who played him died around 1990.