70`s Sesame Street Questions...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Xerus said:
Elmo's first appearance was in a musical skit called, "We are all Monsters." It featured a blue monster with horns, a green monster, a gray monster with a tall head, and Elmo, who had no name and a completely different voice. They looked at each other and realized they were all different but they're the same because they're all monsters. Later on, they dubbed Kevin's voice into that classic skit.

You'll find this skit on the SS video, Monster Hits.
I thought that Elmos first appearance (well, besides when he was called Baby Monster) was in the background of Me Lost Me Cookie At The Disco.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Mabye Me Lost Me Cookie in the Disco was Elmo's first appearance, but in the song Wer'e All Monsters was his first appearance with a speaking role.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
pkcckp said:
How come when Mr. Hooper died, they didn`t do the episode of his death until 1983?? I read he died in 1982.

I was in high school around this time so I no longer watched the show regularly by this time.
there might of been some remaining episodes that aired with him after his passing depending on when they started taping each season but I also understand they had to discuss how best to do such as episode about the topic of death.

Rosewood

Reaction score
Mr. Hooper's death

pkcckp said:
How come when Mr. Hooper died, they didn`t do the episode of his death until 1983?? I read he died in 1982.
From what I understand and have read, when Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) passed away it was unexpected. They probably still had alot of episodes with Mr. Hooper still in them that hadn't been shown yet, and now they had the controversial issue over weather to actually "tell" the T.V. audiences that he had really died, or simply to let his character "fade out" between seasons. When they finally decided to realy let kids know he died, it took a LOT of preparation to make sure they did it right, because, back then, taking on such a deep, dark subject as death on a highly watched Kids show (such as SS) was basically unheard of, and it meant taking some great risks on the shows part. As a result, by taking the time they did to prepare, they ended up creating one of the most highly rated episodes in the history of SS.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
We'll come back to David, but I want to add more to this Elmo discussion.

If Elmo had been around for so long it's funny, how in the "Street We Live On" the intention was for Grover to take Elmo to see the events that happen before he was born. However, most of the events took place after he was already on the show. In fact the only one he probably wouldn't have seen was Mr. Hooper and even then, the Brian Muehl Elmo was around.

A better idea would have been to take Elmo further back where he could have seen Matt Robinson, the orange Oscar, the original Baby Monster, etc. I know somebody once wrote a fan fiction like this, I'm not sure if that thread is still on this board or not.

Anyway, back to David. Northern Calloway who played him passed away in the early 90s, so his character had to be written out of the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Daffyfan2003 said:
If Elmo had been around for so long it's funny, how in the "Street We Live On" the intention was for Grover to take Elmo to see the events that happen before he was born. However, most of the events took place after he was already on the show. In fact the only one he probably wouldn't have seen was Mr. Hooper and even then, the Brian Muehl Elmo was around.
I don't know what year that Mr. Hooper clip was from, but if you look closely in the clip of maria and Luis' wedding, you can actually see elmo in the background. He was the ringberer at their wedding, so he is stadning close to Maria and Luis.

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
Yes. I've noticed that. I also read in the lyrics archive about Elmo being the ringbearer. They really should have made a reference there.

He should have said: "There's Elmo in that picture! Now, Elmo remember! He was the ringbearer!"