79th Annual Academy Awards on ABC

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
travellingpat said:
I have the Last Waltz...but havent watched it yet...is it worth watching?
Oh, definitely! Especially if you have the DVD...great sound! This was the Band's final performance as a group, Thanksgiving 1976. Robbie Robertson personally chose Scorsese to capture it on film. The Band also invited many famous faces to join them: Ronnie Hawkins (most of the members started as his backup group, the Hawks), Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Emmylou Harris, Dr. John, Neil Diamond, Ron Wood, Paul Butterfield, and of course Bob Dylan, whom the group backed and played with just before starting their own independent career. In between the concert scenes, Scorsese interviews the group about their history. If you have the DVD, it has an excellent commentary with Scorsese and Robertson (who would later provide music to several Scorsese films).

Back to the Oscars:

The only nominated film I've seen so far was The Departed, but the others look interesting, especially Letters From Iwo Jima.

Nice to hear Coppola, Lucas and Spielberg presented the award to Scorsese.

I was rooting for Forest Whitaker. He's done so much great work in the past (including his amazing Charlie Parker in Clint Eastwood's Bird), his Oscar was richly deserved.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I think that Little Miss Sunshine was a really good movie and how Steve Carell didn't get nominated is beyond me, but his performance was great. I agree though with the guy who won Best Supporting Actor in the fact that with all the people who were child actors, the way that most of em turn out, he was hoping that she didn't win. Which she didn't, but I see where he was coming from.

Daniel

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I liked the show, but I missed the part I most wanted to see--Jennifer Hudson winning her award! We've had bad weather here, and the cable was going off and on. It seemed fine, and my Tivo was about 20 minutes behind live TV when it went out again--so I didn't know until 20 minutes had gone by! I switched to the antenna, but I had already missed it.

Oh well, that's what YouTube is for... I'm disappointed that Superman didn't win for best visual effects, but the effects in Pirates were pretty darn cool. I just liked Superman better as a movie.

Overall I thought the show was really fun. I'm not a giant fan of Ellen Degeneres--nothing against her, really, but I haven't heard enough of her stand-up material to have a real opinion. I thought she did a really nice job with the show, though. Low-key and amiable, and the jokes were smart without being mean. Nice job.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Can anyone email me the mp3 of the song will ferrell jack black and john mcwhatever sang...it was hilarious!!

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
that was awsome!!! I love the part where he threatened to beat Peter O'Tool (Spelling?) with his Nickelodeon award. Good stuff!!!:smile:

IgorPonweed

Reaction score
That, is, the, best, so, far, on, YOUTUBE!!!!!!! I watched it repeatedly 27 times!

travellingpat

Reaction score
Yeah its hilarious!! Thanks but If anyone can make an MP3 from that...i would love it on my iPod