1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

A Heart of Gold

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by TogetherAgain, Dec 19, 2006.

1. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

Wow....still so much pain there, but methinks this is good for Kermit to finally be around his family. Really touching scene with him and his father and I also really enjoyed the scene with Maggie. Great stuff Lisa, please keep going!
  2. TogetherAgain

TogetherAgain Well-Known Member

Well aren't you folks lucky!

Yes, yes you are, very lucky, my dear friends.

You see, one of the beautiful/annoying things about writing through torment lines is that you lose track of just how long a scene is.

The next two chapters are one scene each. The second scene heavily depends on an exact memory of the last line of the first scene. (Which was quite unfortunate for Leyla, who was completely discombobulated by the end of the first scene...) Therefore, I'm posting both chapters today.

Lucky, lucky vous.
  3. TogetherAgain

Chapter Twenty-One

She was young and energetic. Her eyes flashed as she pushed her hair back and grinned at the camera. "And now we'd like to welcome to the show a very widely admired celebrity. She's just done it all, I swear. I know I, for one, am a huge fan of hers- I mean really, if I don't faint, it's a miracle. I'm sweating all ready- oh gosh, I shouldn't have said that! Um- You all know her, and as I'm sure everyone has heard, her frog has been serving overseas for over ten months now. We sure appreciate that, don’t we? So let's give a great big round of applause for the one and only, absolutely fantastic, incredible, amazing, inspiring, intelligent, beautiful, wonderful... talented... um... I'm out of adjectives, but- Ladies and gentlemen, MISS PIGGY!"

The audience cheered as she came out.

"Oh thank vous! Thank vous all! Hello, there! Kissy kissy!" Miss Piggy happily settled into the chair across from the other woman.

"Welcome to the show, Miss Piggy," the woman said.

"Oh thank vous, Lila!"

"Um, it's Leyla."

"Whatever."

"Did you like your introduction, Miss Piggy?" Leyla grabbed her seat and held tight, hoping she wouldn't bounce.

"Yes, Lola, it was a very accurate introduction."

"Um- Leyla, and yes, I think so too!"

"Oh, sorry Lily."

"Leyla."

"Right."

"So how have you been doing, Miss Piggy?" Leyla asked.

"Oh, just wonderful!" Miss Piggy trilled.

"Now how is Kermit doing, overseas? Have you heard from him lately?"

"Mm-hm! Moi have! And I have news, too."

"Yes, you mentioned that!" Leyla sat up more, if that was possible. "What sort of news?"

Miss Piggy proudly straightened up. "Well!" she said. "Are you ready?"

"Yes. We're ready."

Miss Piggy cleared her throat. "Because it's big."

"We are ready, Miss Piggy."

"If vous insist, Linda!"

"Leyla."

"Lena. Be quiet."

"Sorry," Leyla said. "What's the news?"

"The news!" Miss Piggy carefully articulated her words. "The news is that Kermie has come home."

The audience murmured.

"He's home?" Leyla said, clearly surprised and thrilled.

"He's home," Miss Piggy said.

"Oh! Well um- well with all due respect, why?" Leyla asked.

"Well, he- he was injured," Miss Piggy said.

There was a second, more concerned round of murmurs.

"Injured?" Leyla echoed the audience's concern. "What happened? Is he all right?"

"Thankfully, he is all right," Miss Piggy assured. "He was shot in the shoulder, and he needs a sling for a while, but he's healing very well."

"Oh, thank goodness!" Leyla put her hand over her heart. "He's doing well, then?"

"Yes. Kermie's doing fine," Miss Piggy assured.

"Well I'm glad to hear it," Leyla smiled. "So he's home now! Is he-"

"They gave Kermie an honorable discharge," Miss Piggy said proudly. "And he was awarded a Purple Heart."

Leyla nodded appreciatively. "You must be very proud of him, Miss Piggy."

"Yes, moi am just- just overflowing with pride for my Kermie, Lisa."

"Leyla."

"Who?"

"My name is Leyla," Leyla said gently, with something of a sheepish smile.

Miss Piggy hesitated. "Oh! Oh, I'm sorry, um... Leslie."

Leyla sighed and shrugged it off. "So is Kermit at the Boarding House now? How long has he been home?"

"Well Lacey, he came home ten days ago," Miss Piggy said. "He stayed with us at our house- you know we all live in one house, all the- weirdoes and crazies and everyone- he was with us for a week, and now he's visiting the swamp for a little bit. And then he's coming back. Here."

Leyla nodded. "Here," she said.

"Not to the show, though," Miss Piggy clarified. "To the house. And to the theater."

"No, not to- not to this show," Leyla agreed. "To the house and theater."

"Yes, the house and theater," Miss Piggy repeated.

"Well I mean, but he's welcome on the show!" Leyla said. "I mean, I'd love to have him on-"

"Well yes, of-" Miss Piggy suddenly stopped and gave Leyla a suspicious glare.

"Um- if you come too!" Leyla said quickly.

"Moi would be happy to," Miss Piggy said elegantly. Then she added, growling under her breath, "Nice save."

Leyla blushed. "Um- So you said, uh, you said he's coming back to the theater, too, you made a point of that," she said, stumbling slightly on her words. "Um, are there are, are there plans with the theater now? All ready? I mean he just got back, um-"

"Are you done mumbling yet?" Miss Piggy asked calmly.

"Yes! Yes, I'm done now." Leyla sat attentively.

"Good," Miss Piggy said. "Because, Lucy, as vous will see... that is moi's other news."

"Oh there's more news?" Leyla said. "Oh what is it?"

"It's about the theater," Miss Piggy said, reclining luxuriously.

"Uh- yes, I- I sort of thought it might be," Leyla said, nervous with excitement.

"Naturally," Miss Piggy said. She crossed her legs. "Vous see, Lindsey, my Kermie is never one to sit idle."

"No, of course not," Leyla said. Her face was suddenly puzzled as she mouthed to herself, Lindsey?

"And he's very eager to um... to adjust, you see," Miss Piggy smiled. "To civilian life again."

"Mm-hm," Leyla said. "And?"

"And," Miss Piggy said. "We will be starting our usual weekly show again one week after the Fourth of July."

"Oh!" Leyla said. "Oh, that's just a month away, isn't it?"

"Oui, and thank goodness," Miss Piggy sighed. "Moi have missed the stage so..."

"And we've missed seeing you there," Leyla said firmly. She turned to the audience. "Haven’t we?"

The audience obediently cheered and applauded.

"Well." Miss Piggy smugly tossed her hair. "Naturally," she said. "Moi have missed moi's fans, too."
  4. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

more please i'll give a cookie for more :D
  5. TogetherAgain

Ooh, goody! Great to see you, Aaron! And I'll post some more!
  6. TogetherAgain

Chapter Twenty-Two

"She sure has," Kermit observed.

He was sitting at the counter at Jerry's Pizza Place, watching the show with another frog his age.

"You noticed that, huh?" the other frog said. "In only a week?"

"Well actually it only took me a day to figure it out," Kermit said.

"Hey!" A flyswatter swatted near their faces. "You guys aren't much help, you know!"

"We're distracted," Kermit said, not even taking his eyes off of the screen.

The flyswatter-wielding teenage girl raised her dark eyebrows over her bright blue eyes. "Clearly," she said, folding her arms. She brushed her apron off. It read, simply, "The."

"He’s distracted," the other frog said.

The girl rolled her eyes and jerked her head towards the television. "Clearly."

"I'm distracted, I'm not deaf," Kermit reminded them absent-mindedly.

The other frog and the girl looked at each other. "Clearly," they both said.

"Knock it off," Kermit said. He didn't seem to be paying much mind to them, however.

The girl sighed. "I thought you two were going to help with these flies while you were here," she said, swatting at a fly that got a little too close to her face.

"I'm trying," the other frog grumbled. "You know most customers just have to pay, not work."

"Yeah but y'know what, Croaker?" the girl smiled. "Most customers don't order the pests as a side dish."

"And most employees actually work!" A washcloth whipped into the girl's face.

She grinned as she peeled it off and wadded it into a ball. "Then why don't you, oh sweetheart?" She threw it back in the direction it had come.

"Sweetheart?" Croaker echoed. "What are you two up to today?"

"Apparently we're engaged," the girl grinned teasingly.

"What?" Kermit turned his head slightly.

"Oh I'm not believing it until I see a ring," the girl said, her grinning growing more broad. "Which is why SOMEONE HAD BETTER BE WORKING!"

"Speak for yourself, Ms. Lisa," a British accent reprimanded from the other end of the counter.

"Bitter, bitter Bo." The voice that had thrown the washcloth came up to the counter. He was a brown-haired teen with an apron that read, "Cook."

"Very bitter," Lisa agreed.

The British boy turned around. "I should not have to wear something that says kiss!" he said.

Sure enough, his apron read, "Kiss."

Lisa and the other boy laughed. "Oh come on, Bo," Lisa said. "You know I can't wear that- the customers actually try to kiss me."

"So they get a few bruises," Bo said. "At least you still get your pride."

"Can't say the same for them," Lisa said smugly.

"Serves them right, trying to kiss my fiancé," the other boy teased, leaning across the counter to her.

"Maybe you should try it some time, darling," she said as she pushed him away.

"Ryan! Lisa!" Bo groaned. "I thought putting a counter between you would be enough- do I have to separate you more?"

"ARE YOU THREE GOOFING OFF OUT THERE?" a voice called from the kitchen.

"Yes Jerry!" all three of them said in cheery unison.

The voice in the kitchen chuckled. "What do I pay you for, anyway?"

They hesitated.

"...Pulling pranks on the customers, right?" Bo asked.

"Left," Ryan and Lisa decided.

"Sounds good enough," the voice in the kitchen said. "Carry on..."

The three teens laughed as they resumed whatever semblance of work they had been doing.

"And you two, quit squabbling," Bo scolded with a grin. "You're supposed to be engaged, not an old married couple."

"Oh, as if you didn't start it!" Lisa grinned as she cleared some abandoned plates off of the counter.

"I did not start it! It was all you two!" Bo protested. He filled some half-empty water glasses and gave a quick smile to the customers.

"Oh you did so," Lisa said.

"Who's squabbling now?" Ryan wiped another table down.

"Squabble!" Lisa repeated. "Squabble squabble. That's a fun word."

"You and your fun words." Croaker flicked his tongue at a fly.

"It's a fun word!" Lisa argued. "Say it! It's kinda like scribble, but it's squabble. It's fun! Squabble-squabble."

"Squabble." Ryan thought about it. "Yeah, that is kinda... squabble."

"Squabble," Bo said. He looked at Ryan expectantly. "Squabble squabble?"

“Squabble," Ryan agreed. "Squabble squabble squabble squabble."

"Squabble!" Lisa declared.

"Squabble squabble," Beau added.

"Squaaaaaaaaabble," Ryan said, drawing the word out and over-articulating every letter.

They laughed, and proceeded to have an entire conversation using only the word 'squabble.'

Croaker shook his head. "It's impossible to have a quiet meal here," he muttered to Kermit.

Kermit lazily tore his eyes away from the screen. "Croaker," he said. "If we wanted a quiet meal, we wouldn't have come here."
  7. Leyla

Leyla Member

<cough>

<bluuuush>

<cough>

Um... well! Lisa, I have to point out that you forgot that classic disclaimer... Any similarity to Piggy fangirls living or dead is entirely coincidental.

<Veerrrrry shifty eyes>

Anyway... yes... discombobulated...entirely so, and I'm not yet recovered.

Why THANK you! <preens> Young and energetic....<giggles> Boy, don't I come off great in this.

Ah! There it is! Proof that the names are entirely coincidental. Look at her, falling all over herself like some sort of crazed fangirl. I assure you, I would NEVER let that happen.

I... would faint.

I would faint after spouting a whole bunch of gushy gibberish that would probably irritate, yet flatter, the life out of PIggy.

That doesn't make me a fangirl however. <shifty eyes> It probably does make me a raving looney however. Now! Where did I put my Piggy drawing book and fanfic notebook? I need to gush...er...write about her in a completely cool and logical way...yes.

That high pitched squeal everyone heard some weeks ago... nothing to worry about...and... certainly unrelated to me laying eyes on this for the first time. <shifty eyes>

Ah, good to know she's looking after her dignity... and mine. ;)

I'm pretty sure I changed my name at this point... I'm not even sure what it is anymore. Ah well, it was boring anyway.

Yes, ma'am.

<giggles> That's a rather dramatic gesture...you know me far too well, Lisa!

Oh, me too, Miss Piggy... also overflowing with sorrow and delight and gushiness and fear and um... impatience.

Hey, she's trying, Leyla! Give a diva a break! Wait... am I yelling at... me?

I DO know you live in a house with weirdoes and crazies... I think it's marvellous!

Why THANK you, Miss Piggy! Looks like that survival instinct kicked in after all.

Piggy's on a talk show with me telling me news.... eeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
    (Sorry... had to come out at least once)

L is a great way to start off a name, I must say. There sure are a lot of ways to end an L name.

Oh, is that what they're calling it nowadays?

We sure have, Leyla!!! <is confused>

That's right, do my bidding, minions!

Aww... she missed me! YAY!!!! <waves arms around>

Yeesh... I sound even crazier that normal. And what's with the socks? I should stop having cold medicine for breakfast. Oh, please, may no muppet person ever stumble on to this post.
  8. redBoobergurl

TWO fantastically wonderfully Muppety chapters with some MC craziness thrown in! You get TWO big hugs for that! (HUG) (HUG) I loved Miss Piggy and Leyla and getting her name wrong, you must have thought of a ton of L names for that! And then you and Bo and Ryan at Jerry's Pizza Place, just comic and totally how you guys are and I loved it! I could just sit here and gush and gush and gush, but instead I'm simply going to ask for more. Come on, two chapters in one day? Not enough, let's go for three!
  9. The Count

The Count Moderator Staff Member

LOL! This last chapter, #22, is the perfect embodiment of MC goings-on.

I instantly knew who those three at the pizza shop were before you even told us their names.
    But Jerry? He's still alive? Thought you took over the pizzeria after he passed away. For all of you reading this, go read A Hidden Jull as it connects with the new kitchen staff's origins.
    As for that conversation, that's another perfect MC encapsulation... The Happy 30th of December thread, or go read through Lisa's review of the latest chapter in Don't Trip The Driver and pay close attention to the quotes she uses to refer to the writer of that other yarn.

So much to laugh about as you captured yourselves so perfectly it's no joke.
    More please!
  10. TogetherAgain

Well, I felt it presumptuous for us to have full control of the place, but it didn't quite feel right for us to SEE Jerry, so I left him in the kitchen.
  11. theprawncracker

theprawncracker Well-Known Member

SQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQAUBLLE!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!! HAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!! I LOVE it! But you already knew that, and Leyla and Piggy were amazing together, fantastically amazing! Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Way to go half!! (((HUGS)))
  12. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

great chapter keep it coming please and i'll keep coming
  13. TogetherAgain

The good news- new chapter coming with LOTS OF HAPPY STUFF!

The bad news- Teddy bear alert for the beginning of the second scene.

That is all.
  14. TogetherAgain

Chapter Twenty-Three

The Frog Scouts were to be picked up from the park at 4:00.

That's 16:00, Kermit prompted himself. He had been home for three weeks now, but he was still very much accustomed to military time.

He walked to the park and decided that he would never tire of seeing so much greenery. He had never been one to take plants and trees for granted, but everything meant more these days.

Ah, yes, there were the Frog Scouts. He knew all of them well, and could recognize them from a considerable distance.

"Kermit?" a voice from behind him said.

He recognized that, too. That was Spencer's dad. He turned and smiled. "Hi-ho."

"I guess you really are back, then," the frog said. "I didn't believe the rumors at first. Welcome home."

"Thanks, Tim," Kermit said.

"I heard about your shoulder," Tim said. "Did they get the bullet out? Or is it still in there?"

"Oh they got it out," Kermit said. "They tried to send it home with me in a little jar, but I wasn't interested."

"Well that's good," Tim said. "That would've been a pain to go through metal detectors with a bullet inside of you."

"That's for sure," Kermit said. "Although metal detectors are mostly just in airports, really, and I don't intend to do much traveling anytime soon-"

"Kermit!" a third voice called.

That would be Seth's mom, Connie.

"Hi-ho!" Kermit called as he turned to smile at her.

"Hey Connie!" Tim said. "Look who's here! Alive and well in the real flesh and blood, too!"

"I'm glad you're home, Kermit," Connie said as she approached. "It's good to see you again!"

"It's good to see you, too-"

"Kermit?" Yet another frog approached.

This was Brett's dad, Carl.

"Hi-ho," Kermit smiled at him.

Connie and Tim moved on towards the troop. They weren't very fond of Carl, which was a pity. While it was true that he could be incredibly obnoxious most of the time, he did have some interesting things to say. ...Sometimes. ...Occasionally. ...Maybe.

Carl put his hand on Kermit's good shoulder and awkwardly shifted his weight. "Kermit," he said, "I wanted... I wanted to thank you," he said.

Kermit tilted his head. "Pardon?"

"I- I want you to know, that I- I appreciate it," Carl said. "I mean- what you did- for the country." He squirmed slightly. "My dad was in World War II," he explained. "He never talked about it much, but- I know it's rough being a soldier, and… I wanted to thank you."

Kermit stared at him for a moment, wondering how to react. What was he supposed to do? ...He put his hand on Carl's shoulder. "That means a lot to me," he said quietly.

Carl nodded. There was understanding there. That was enough.

Kermit tilted his head towards the Frog Scouts. "The kids are waiting," he said.

"Yeah, they are," Carl said.

They walked towards the troop, each collected their respective Frog Scout, and they went on with their lives.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~​

Sunlight streamed into the room. Kermit pushed the blanket down to his waist.

It was morning. It started like every morning had the past month and a half or so, and like he guessed every morning would for the rest of his life.

The morning started with The Eyes. The Eyes were as clear and as real to him as the collar around his neck, and The Eyes were with him just as constantly.

The Eyes were big and brown and blank. He was learning to push The Eyes away from his mind first thing in the morning, before The Eyes could finish changing.

Changing was the worst thing about The Eyes.

First The Eyes were filled with fear. Then the fear in The Eyes would slowly crystallize into a basic, dreaded understanding.

He had learned to push The Eyes away before the understanding could fully crystallize.

If The Eyes were not pushed away, the crystals of understanding would drop away, one by one, until The Eyes held nothing, and The Eyes were dead, and The Dead Eyes followed him the entire day.

But Kermit had learned to push The Eyes away. He had been home for over a month now, and the early morning was among his favorite times of the day. In fact, it was almost as good as the late morning, afternoon, evening, and night.

He gazed out the window at the morning sunlight, listening to the soft plink, plink of Rowlf's piano. That was the first good thing of the morning. Every day started with music.

After a few moments, Kermit stood up. He shifted the irritating neck strap of the annoying sling as he walked into the hall. He opened the door next to his and peered into the room.

Robin was still asleep. He stirred slightly. He would wake up soon. Kermit smiled at the young frog and closed the door.

He went back to his own room and touched the soft fabric that was waiting for him on a chair. Red, white, and blue. With his good arm, he pressed it against his chest, and he went downstairs.

"Morning, Rowlf!" he said with a smile as his flipper met the bottom step.

"Morning, Kermit," Rowlf grinned from the piano bench.

Kermit went outside and walked straight to the flagpole. He attached his flag to it and pulled, watching in silence as it rose to the top of the pole.

This was a nice part of the morning, too, but it was more... routine. It was just a part of waking up, sort of like getting out of bed. He supposed some people drank coffee for the same reason.

Raising the flag wasn't really just waking up, though. It was a little bit of extra quiet time, which was a scarce commodity in this house. It was also a chance to smile and nod at a couple neighbors, particularly the guy who ran past every morning and the little old lady who walked her dog in the opposite direction. He sometimes guessed that they liked to see something vaguely normal happening at this house.

Kermit went inside and sat in the family room for his second favorite part of every morning.

He slowly, carefully, took the sling off. He rubbed where the neck strap itched his collar and carefully stretched his arm and shoulder.

"Looks like you're getting a little more flexible," Rowlf observed, still at the piano.

Kermit smiled at him. "Two more weeks of this," he said. He gently rubbed his shoulder.

"Bet you're counting the days," Rowlf said.

"Have you seen the paper chain Robin made me?" Kermit asked.

Rowlf tilted his head at his friend. "Kermit," he said, "Has anyone in this house not seen it?"

Kermit grinned. "Point taken," he said.

"Did you take off today's link yet?" Rowlf asked.

"Not yet," Kermit said. "After breakfast."

Rowlf nodded.

“Groo shfeer, de huulney!” The Swedish Chef greeted as he came downstairs to start making breakfast.

"Yeah, woof woof!" Rowlf replied.

"Morning, Chef," Kermit smiled. He grinned as Chef and Rowlf 'conversed' back and forth in languages completely unintelligible to anyone else, and to each other.

This ritual meant one thing to Kermit- it was time for him to sit back, watch each of his friends come downstairs, and appreciate his absolute favorite part of the morning.

The best part of the morning was the simple nature of it. Morning meant that he had the entire day ahead of him. He had an entire day, just waiting for him. An entire day to pass the time however he pleased. An entire day to spend with each and every one of his friends. An entire day to get a little bit closer to putting on the show. An entire day to work towards making millions of people happy.

Maybe later in the day, he would complain. Maybe later in the day, he would tease about how much time or money or energy had been wasted by this explosion or that distraction or this invention or that burst of drums. But he would only tease, because to him, none of it was a waste of anything. It was annoying, yes, but it sure wasn't a waste.

And yes, there were nagging feelings in the back of his mind about other things he didn't always acknowledge or couldn't always identify. And yes, he knew there would be times when stress would get the better of him. But right now, it was morning, and the entire day lay ahead for him to enjoy.

That was the best part of every morning.

But this morning was a little different, because this day was a little different.

This day would not be spent at the theater, preparing for the show, as so many days had been spent.

This morning would be spent preparing for this afternoon and evening.

This afternoon would be spent watching the parade.

This evening would be spent having a barbecue in the backyard, presuming they could find some sort of food to barbecue that didn't also happen to be a resident of the house.

And the later part of this evening would be spent in the park, on a mass of large blankets, looking up at the fireworks in the sky.

This day was the Fourth of July- Independence Day.
  15. Leyla

Leyla Member

For the record, I loved the last chapter with Prawnie, Lisa and Beau and Kermit and Croaker. Loved the teasing, the in-jokes and Kermit's distraction.
    And goodness knows Lisa knows that I got a kick out of the squabbling!

I love how Kermit's seeing everything in a whole new light... just... the way he's appreciating everything around him. The military time was a great detail to put in there. Very realistic... and sort of... poignant.

The frog scout parents were very sweet. I liked the line about metal detectors... Kermit's gotta travel sometime... too big a celebrity to stay in one place so it's very good he doesn't have to worry about that.

I like that Kermit didn't want to keep the bullet too... this feels like something he'd want to forget.

It was nice to see the respect from Carl, too and Kermit's uncertainty about how to react.

And the waking... wow wow wow... every morning for the rest of my life... well... it breaks my heart to see Kermit so burdened and I do hope... eventually... he'll be free from those Eyes.

The rest of his morning routine was very nice... balancing nicely with all that pain. There are good things... so many good things here, and I'm glad Kermit can see that too.

Beautiful, Lisa.
  16. theprawncracker

AIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! FOURTH OF JULY!!! EYES!!! AHHHHHHHH!!! WOOOOOOOOOO!!! CARL!!!! Loved it!!! Whooo!! Go other half!! Can't wait for more! But now, I have to go write Trip, ((((HUGS))))!
  17. redBoobergurl

Wonderful chapter Lisa. Poor Kermit and those Eyes that are plaguing him. Nice with raising the flag though and I like that it's the Fourth of July. Cute stuff with the other frog parents. Great stuff, can't wait to read more.
  18. Aaron

Aaron Active Member

so very sweet
  19. TogetherAgain

Chapter Twenty-Four

Kermit grinned at the huge mass of Muppets that lined the curb along the main street of the town, watching the parade. "Gee," he said to Fozzie, "There's so many of us, you'd think we'd be in the parade!"

"Hey, we're crazy enough," Fozzie said. "We'd fit right in!"

"Yeah, sure," Kermit said. "Right between the Girl Scouts and the bowling club."

"I was more thinking between the marching bands," Rowlf said.

"As long as we can keep Animal away from the drum lines," Floyd said, gripping Animal's chain. "It's hard enough from the sidelines!"

"We'll just go behind the cheerleaders," Scooter suggested. "At least that way, he'll keep moving forward."

"I whouldn't mind dat, hokay?" Pepe piped up. "But den we whould only see some of de ladies. I like to see all de ladies!"

"Oh, don't be so sure!" Rizzo grinned at him. "T'ink about it, Pepe- an entire parade behind da cheerleaders..."

The majority of the boys sat back and considered such a situation.

"Yeah," Clifford grinned, "That would be pretty nice!"

"Unless you've got a girl," Kermit mumbled to himself.

"Good answer," a familiar voice growled just behind and beside his head.

He smiled.

"Uncle Kermit?" Robin looked up to him. "If we were in the parade, would we still get the candy?"

Kermit thought about it. "Probably not," he said.

"Oh." Robin turned back to the parade. "Then I'm glad we're not."

There was a small group of old war veterans marching next, with an American flag held proudly in front of them.

The spectators stood respectfully.

Kermit gazed at the veterans with a certain understanding that he had never felt before. He slowly, instinctively, saluted the flag.

One of the old men noticed him and, recognizing the look on the frog's face as one he had once worn himself, gave him a soft smile, a small wink, and a subtle nod.

Kermit returned the nod and held his salute until the veterans had passed.

"Shmooken de høøpshie nüüdle!" The Swedish Chef flipped a whole slew of hot dogs on the grill.

Rowlf watched at his side. "You know some people just turn 'em," he said.

Chef looked at him, snitched up a few hot dogs on a skewer, and bonked Rowlf over the head with them.

Rowlf rubbed his head. "Point taken," he said. He looked at the hot dogs that were still on the grill. "Hi guys," the dog said.

Miss Piggy glared at the grill and started to storm towards it.

Kermit slung his arm around her waist. He tucked his head up on her shoulder. "Veggie dogs," he grinned at her.

She smiled and wrapped her arms around him. "Well then," she murmured, "I suppose I'll have to find some other way to use that energy, hm?"

He gave her a squeeze. "Play nice, Piggy," he growled under his breath. "The sun's still up."

"Not for long," she whispered. She kissed his cheek and slipped away.

Pepe relaxed in the Jacuzzi. "Dis es America, hokay?" he sighed happily. "A nice day, a barbecue with friends, a sexy prawn, and a Jacuzzi. All dat's missing is de sexy ladies, hokay?"

"Yup, 'dis is America," Rizzo agreed as he snuck off with Pepe's plate of food. "Especially with da Spanish accent."

"Yeah, immigration built the country!" Gonzo said. "Just ask the Chef!"

They turned and looked at their self-proclaimed culinary expert.

He was singing. "Ashmundica! Ashmundica! Yahg shfer der hüngred Smair!"

Rowlf grinned and joined the song. "And crown thy good, with brotherhood..."

"Froom shmoonder shmeer dig shmeer!"

Impressive, Kermit thought to himself. Usually we need twenty blankets to fit all of us- this year we've only got fifteen, and all of us are here!

And yet, there was still some room to spare... at least, on this blanket, there was.

Fozzie and Robin were on this blanket, sitting side by side. Kermit had been sitting next to them, staring up at the bright, colorful display in the sky, but he had lain down, and they had since scooted forward.

And now, right here on his chest, somehow tucked between his collar and his sling, there was a beautiful head of blonde curls, and there was a silky purple glove holding onto his right hand.

His hand was happily resting on her shoulder. It was hard to see the fireworks like this, but... well, who really cared about the fireworks. The people were the part that mattered, and he was very aware of the people.

He knew, for example, every time that Fozzie and Robin agreed on the beauty of the fireworks. He knew when Clifford mumbled his approval. He knew when Scooter pointed out that this or that design had shown up upside down. He knew when Gonzo was whispering to Camilla, and when Floyd murmured something, and when The Swedish Chef yawned, and when Crazy Harry sighed under his breath that he wished he could do something like this.

This is what America REALLY is, he thought quietly. It's the people. We the people... He took his hand from Miss Piggy's shoulder and pushed himself up, just slightly. The people. Not just the boarding house, but all the people... everyone in the park, in the state, in the country... All the people... And they were all... free.

Miss Piggy was very much aware of his shift. "Kermie," she whispered. "What are you thinking about?"

After a moment, he whispered, "What I'm looking at."

She smiled faintly. "What are you looking at?" she whispered sweetly.

He hesitated for a long moment, deep in thought. Finally he whispered, "What I fought for."

She sat up and looked around. The park was full of people. People were stretched out on blankets, snuggled up together, staring up at the sky, staring at each other, falling asleep in spite of the steady booming of the fireworks.

She slowly turned and looked at Kermit, who was gazing out, not at the fireworks, but at the people.

She wrapped her arms around him and gave him a soft, tender kiss, persuading him to slowly lie down once more. "Kermie," she whispered, settling her head on his chest again, this time overlapping his collar. "I'm so proud of you."

He slid his good arm around her, thinking. "Sometimes..." But then he stopped.

She nudged closer. "What is it?" she whispered.

He gave her a quick, soft squeeze. "I'll tell you later," he mumbled.

She shifted and held him more firmly. "Tell me!" she whispered.

"Later, Piggy," he murmured. "Fireworks now."

"So?" She kissed his cheek.

He smiled and tilted his head to whisper into her ear. "Sometimes," he said, "I need to know for sure that you're the only one who can hear what I'm saying, and this isn't the place to know that."

She slowly grinned and pulled him close to her. "Now that, Kermie," she whispered, "Is a very acceptable answer."

He snuggled up to her. "Thank you," he murmured. "Now can we 'ooh' and 'ah' with everyone else for a while?"

"Do we have to?" she sighed.

"Wow! Hey Uncle Kermit, did you see that one?"

Kermit grinned. "Yes."
  20. theprawncracker

THEY WERE ALL FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! WHOOOOOOOO!!! Wowowowowowow!!! PEPE!!! GONZO!!! RIZZO!!! CHEF!! CHEERLEADERS!! ROBIN!!! FIREWORKS!! HEY UNCLE KERMIT DID YOU SEE THAT ONE?!?!?! ZOOOOOOOW!!! I LOVED IT!! SO great!! MORE PLEASE!!