A Heart of Gold

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Eight

There was another slight adjustment that Kermit noticed. This one was to their routine.

Dinner was just wrapping up- or walking off the table- when the phone rang.

Rowlf checked the clock. "Right on time," he said.

Robin was suddenly a dark green streak for the phone, which Scooter was all ready answering. "Muppet Boarding House!" he said.

Robin bounced at his side. "Don't tell him yet!" he said excitedly.

Scooter grinned at him. "You sure can," he said to the phone. "Here he is." He handed the phone to Robin. "Guess who," he said, and he returned to his seat.

Robin's excitement clearly couldn't be contained, since he continued to hop as he held the phone. "HI DAD!"

Fozzie leaned over to whisper to Kermit. "He calls every night now," he said.

"Oh good," Kermit said thoughtfully. He listened to Robin's end of the conversation, but was a little wary of turning around to look.

"It was good," Robin was saying. "You know. Did the usual stuff. Nothing too different... Yup. Pretty much. Normal day. School, home, dinner... Yup. Yup. Uh-huh."

Rowlf grinned at the young frog's trick. "Good thing he's just on the phone," he observed. "He doesn't have much of a poker face yet."

Kermit poked at the food on his plate. "Let's keep it that way for a while," he whispered.

Robin was oblivious to the table. "Um... Oh there was one thing... I don't remember...."

Rowlf chuckled.

"Oh! Oh wait, Dad, I remembered!" Robin said excitedly. "Uncle Kermit came home."

The entire table could hear the responding, "WHAT?"

Robin laughed. "...I don't know, he was here when I got home from school!" He suddenly got a little quieter. "Well- I think he's okay," he said. "He's got a sling on his arm, but- okay."

Kermit tensed.

"Uncle Kermit? Dad wants to talk to you!"

Kermit took a deep breath and stood up. He dreaded each step closer to the phone. When he got there, he reached down to take it from Robin. "Thanks," he said quietly. When he felt the receiver in his hand, he raised it to his head, and finally forced himself to look.

Robin had all ready gone back to his seat. He knew his uncle needed time... Or maybe he was the one who needed time... well, somebody needed time.

Kermit kicked himself, took a deep breath, and turned his attention to the phone. "Hi Jimmy."

"KERMIT!" the excited voice said. "Welcome home, big brother!"

"Thanks-"

"Boy, is it GREAT to hear your voice again! How's it feel to be home?"

"Well-"

"I bet it feels TERRIFFIC, doesn't it? Oh boy, have we missed you!"

"I-"

"Hey don't tell her I told you, but Maggie's been worried sick about you!"

"Uh-"

"Oh, she's gonna be THRILLED to know you're home safe. Mom too!"

"Yeah-"

"Robin said you got a bullet in the shoulder?"

"Yeah-"

"Boy, close call, huh?"

"Um-"

"So when are you gonna come visit the swamp? We'd all LOVE to see ya, you know!"

Kermit held his breath, hoping his brother would move on.

Silence.

Dang it. That was the question he'd been dreading.

"Um... Not yet-"

"Well that's understandable, I mean you just got back, you probably wanna get settled first. Wanna get caught up with Robin and everybody there first, right?"

"Um-"

"But you'll come soon, won't ya?"

"I- I'll try-"

"Great! I'll tell 'em you're coming next week?"

"No." Kermit spoke with a firmness that he hadn't heard in his voice since... He brushed it away.

"No?"

"Well- don't tell them a specific time yet," he said. "I don't know how much time I'll need. And- and you know how upset Maggie will be if she thinks I'm blowing you guys off."

"...Yeah that makes sense. Good thinking, Kermit. I wouldn't'a thought of that."

"Uh-"

"Okay, well, I'll call again tomorrow! That's the routine now, y'know. Just lemme know when you're ready to come on and see the swamp again!"

"I will," Kermit said. "Do you want me to put Robin back on?"

A dial tone was his only answer.

"...I guess not," he said, and he hung up.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
This blows me away every time I come in to find a new chapter.

So much anx in that phone call.
Clever of Kermit to not give Jimmy a specific date as to when he'll visit the swamp... If he ever gets enough courage to visit the swamp in the first place.
But the best/worst... Kermit still can't face Robin, and Robin kind of knows it but kind of doesn't at the same time.

Oh man... Anybody have that heart that says courage? Kermit needs to find his heart again.
But in the mean time... Lisa... More please!!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Poor Kermit, he's just gotta be so overwhelmed. It's great that Jimmy is calling Robin every day, but man, Kermit gets on the phone with him and can barely say a word and Jimmy just has no clue! Oy! There is just so much going on with this story, it's just so incredible, which I know I've already said about ten or twelve times, so I will just leave it at this...MORE PLEASE!

theprawncracker

Reaction score
WHAT?! My half is back?! Why wasn't I informed? Oh Lisa! I have so much to tell you! But first, why not a detailed review, eh?

The Half to Halve all Halfs said:
They laughed on the way to the table.
Well of course they did! Kermit's home! How can you not help but laugh! See, look! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! *ahem* Back to the story...

Robber of Roomies said:
Clifford managed to walk next to Kermit for a brief moment. "Bet you really missed the food here, huh Kerm?" he teased.

"Does it still explode?" Kermit asked vaguely.
Okay, first of all, CLIFFORD!! Second of all, does it still explode? Are you still green frog? Is Piggy still madly in love with you? Are Gonzo's stunts still covered by his H.M.O.? All these questions and more will be answered tonight on 60 Minutes, Muppet Edition.

Ushy Gushy Girly Wirly said:
"Then it talks," Miss Piggy chirped, still happily attached to Kermit's hip.
*blink* So wait...Are Kermit and Piggy conjoined at the hip now...? Hmm, I know the feeling. :stick_out_tongue:

Da Queen! said:
Not even his chair.
NOT EVEN HIS CHAIR!! WHA HA HA!!! Oh that is SO awesome! And SUCH an AWESOME image!

The Pied Piper of Prawnland said:
It was still standing proudly at the head of the table, lily pads painted on the backrest, untouched. It was just one of those fixtures in their lives that somehow managed to never come to any physical harm.
*squeals!!!* WHOOPIE!!!!!!! HOO HOO HOO!!

Head Honcho of I.M.L.A.(Invaders of Muppet Lives Anonymous) said:
Nothing about the kitchen, or the way they ate their food, or their manners- er, lack of them- had changed.

But, although the food was as inedible as ever, there had been some certain slight adjustments to the menu.
Haha! Lack of manners! Love it! But *eyebrow raise* to the menu thing...

Prime Minister of Mock Sweden said:
"De rey gauvem shwar de boom boom foogen shmurgle," the Chef explained.
Oh, right, that explains everything...*rolls eyes*

Have I quoted you as Lisa yet? Hmm said:
"Oh," Kermit said. "...Rations?"
RATIONS?! WHAT?! Oh dear oh dear oh dear...

You can borrow my roomies anytime... said:
"For the war," Gonzo said. "Lots of stuff is being rationed now. That's why my acts no longer include fruits, vegetables, rubber, coal, oil, solar energy, or any form of metal."
Okay, that's hillarious, but still...Rations...Wow...

Happy Prawn Maker! said:
"Hm?" Gonzo said. "Oh. Well- mostly just me."

"Si, and no audiences, hokay!" Pepe said.

Gonzo made a face. "For your information, king prawn, I've had more audiences in the past month than you have."

"Si, but jou haven't got as much monies as me, hokay? Or de ladies."
HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!!! My two favorite characters Lisa!! *glomp!* LOVE IT!

The Greatest Other Half any Other Half could ask for said:
"You wish!" Rizzo said.

"I don't have to wish, hokay! I just do!"
Heh, I'll believe that when I see it.

Confused Prawn Maker said:
"Yeah right," Rizzo said. "Fozzie has gotten more girls this month than you have!"
...WHAT?!

Matchmaker said:
"Oh, don't bring me into this!" Fozzie objected, hiding behind his hat.

"Hey, but that's true!" Gonzo said. "Kermit, did Fozzie mention that to you?"

"Oh, brother..." Fozzie buried his face in his scarf.
WHA HA HA!! Oh that is aaaaaaaaaawesome Fozzie!! Way to go!!

Oh captain said:
Kermit smiled at him softly and pointed to his heart. "Two envelopes down," he said quietly. "Or at least it was there. They're all in my pocket now."

Fozzie smiled. "All of them?" he said. "Must be pretty big pockets."

"You'd be surprised," Kermit said.
Wait...You can't leave us there! Fozzie's got a girl and you leave us there?! How dare you half?! How dare you?! We neeeeeed more!! And I neeeed to talk to you! So get yourself on MSN asap, and get some more of this AMAZING story posted! Please! Grathius! ((((((((HUGS))))))))

EDIT: Wait a minute! There are TWO chapters!! WHEEE!!!

Poster of Two! Two chapters! Ah ah ah! said:
Dinner was just wrapping up- or walking off the table- when the phone rang.
Ha! Of course! But...*shudder* Phone...

*thunder lightning* said:
Robin was suddenly a dark green streak for the phone, which Scooter was all ready answering. "Muppet Boarding House!" he said.

Robin bounced at his side. "Don't tell him yet!" he said excitedly.
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Robin is the CUTEST Muppet EVER!

*headslap blink* said:
Robin's excitement clearly couldn't be contained, since he continued to hop as he held the phone. "HI DAD!"
AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! OH THAT IS SO AWESOME!! IT'S JIMMY!!!

Sorry to steal your thunder Ed. Wocka! Wocka! said:
"It was good," Robin was saying. "You know. Did the usual stuff. Nothing too different... Yup. Pretty much. Normal day. School, home, dinner... Yup. Yup. Uh-huh."
So so so CUTE!!!

Rowlf's Roommate said:
Rowlf grinned at the young frog's trick. "Good thing he's just on the phone," he observed. "He doesn't have much of a poker face yet."

Kermit poked at the food on his plate. "Let's keep it that way for a while," he whispered.
HAHA! As soon as I heard Rowlf say that I KNEW that next line was coming from Kermie! Oh I love it!

Totally Robin's Roomie said:
"Oh! Oh wait, Dad, I remembered!" Robin said excitedly. "Uncle Kermit came home."

The entire table could hear the responding, "WHAT?"
*laughs* Aww, poor Jimmy!

I've run out of quote names...Ooh! I know! I'll sing! said:
"Uncle Kermit? Dad wants to talk to you!"

Kermit took a deep breath and stood up. He dreaded each step closer to the phone. When he got there, he reached down to take it from Robin. "Thanks," he said quietly. When he felt the receiver in his hand, he raised it to his head, and finally forced himself to look.
*gulp* Oh Kermit, it'll be okay. You can do it. It's just your brother, you love your borther, and your nephew. You can do it.

I can jump so far said:
Robin had all ready gone back to his seat. He knew his uncle needed time... Or maybe he was the one who needed time... well, somebody needed time.
Awww!! Robin!! That poor thing! So worried about his uncle and at the same time so confused!

[quote=That's something I always could do...]"Thanks-"

"Boy, is it GREAT to hear your voice again! How's it feel to be home?"

"Well-"

"I bet it feels TERRIFFIC, doesn't it? Oh boy, have we missed you!"

"I-"

"Hey don't tell her I told you, but Maggie's been worried sick about you!"

"Uh-"

"Oh, she's gonna be THRILLED to know you're home safe. Mom too!"

"Yeah-"

"Robin said you got a bullet in the shoulder?"

"Yeah-"

"Boy, close call, huh?"

"Um-"

"So when are you gonna come visit the swamp? We'd all LOVE to see ya, you know!"
[/quote]
I don't think I have EVER heard Jimmy say that much in my entire fan-fic reding career...I mean, he's always jus tbeen quiet Jimmy...Hmm, maybe I'm speculating about nothing but...Hmmm...

I can hop said:
Dang it. That was the question he'd been dreading.
Never heard Kermit say/think "Dang it" either...Hmmm...:stick_out_tongue:

[quote=I can dive so deep, where the old catfish sleep, I can dance on the lily pad too...]"Well that's understandable, I mean you just got back, you probably wanna get settled first. Wanna get caught up with Robin and everybody there first, right?"[/quote]
Ooh, I don't care where you're from, that's got to hurt.

[quote=But when I look around, and you're not to be found, I know I can't get along without you...]"Great! I'll tell 'em you're coming next week?"

"No." Kermit spoke with a firmness that he hadn't heard in his voice since... He brushed it away.

"No?"[/quote]
NO?!

[quote=I can't get alooooong, I'm no good alone, something's wrong, when you're not at home. I still go through the motions, that's all I can do. But I can't get along without you...]"Okay, well, I'll call again tomorrow! That's the routine now, y'know. Just lemme know when you're ready to come on and see the swamp again!"

"I will," Kermit said. "Do you want me to put Robin back on?"

A dial tone was his only answer.

"...I guess not," he said, and he hung up.[/quote]
Eep...Wow...I am so confused...Jimmy didn't want Kermit to put Robin back on...Kermit doesn't want to go to the swamp...Wow wow wow...I think this war may have changed this frog more than killing him did...Wow...More please...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
OTHER HALF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <<<<<<<<<<GLOMP!>>>>>>>>>> It's SO good to see/read you again! It just makes me wanna sing! Toooooooooogether again! Gee, it's good to be together again!... Now the confusing thing about that song is I feel like I'm singing about myself.

Anyway. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<HUGS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> to my favorite Prawn, and let's see what's on the docket for today...

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Nine

The night flew on, and the excitement wore down. The house slowly grew quiet. And still, Kermit could not bring himself to look at Robin without wincing, flinching, or otherwise making it clear that he wasn't his usual self, and he could never look for long.

At some point, he realized it had been a while since he had last seen the young frog. He looked at the middle step of the stairs, but Robin wasn't there. He looked at the clock and, with a terrible guilt, he knew exactly where Robin was.

In bed.

He had so looked forward to tucking his nephew in again, and here he hadn't even said good night.

He excused himself and went upstairs.

Robin's door was closed. He gently eased it open and peered inside. It was dark. With the light seeping in from the barely open door, he could make out a small blob on the bed, and that was his nephew.

It wasn't fair, he thought to himself. All he wanted was...

Something clicked in his mind. He quickly memorized the exact way that Robin was lying, the distance to the bed, the obstacles... Oh. There were no obstacles.

He slid inside and closed the door. Now there was no light at all. He could no longer see his nephew.

So maybe it wouldn't hurt.

He crossed the room and sat down on the bed.

"Hi Uncle Kermit," a drowsy voice said quietly.

Kermit was a little surprised. "Hi-ho," he said softly.

They were quiet.

"I saw you come in," Robin explained.

"Oh," Kermit said quietly. He dragged his hand along the blanket until he found the blob that was his nephew's stomach. He let his hand rest there. "Robin?"

He didn't answer right away. "Uncle Kermit, why do you get upset when you see me?" he asked.

Kermit took a deep breath and sighed. He thought for a moment, wondering how to say this. "...I've seen a lot of bad things, Robin," he said in a hushed voice. "Lots of very bad things. And sometimes... sometimes the farther you get from something bad... the more it- it seems to follow you around."

Robin was quiet at first. "So... I remind you of the bad things?" he asked.

"Oh Robin," Kermit sighed. "You're the farthest I can get from the bad things."

Robin thought about this, sat up, and curled into his uncle's arms.

Kermit hugged him tight and kissed the top of his head. "I love you," he said quietly.

"I love you too," Robin whispered. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

"I got scared sometimes," Robin said. "When you didn't write for a while."

Kermit hugged him tighter. "You know something, Robin?" he said quietly. "I got scared then, too."

Robin snuggled more firmly into Kermit's lap, slightly miffed with his uncle's sling for inhibiting proper hugs and cuddles.

It was not until then that Kermit felt a stiff piece of paper in his nephew's hand. "What's this?" he asked, touching it.

"It's the picture," Robin said. "The one of us reading. I sleep with it every night."

Kermit smiled. "I've got a copy of that," he said.

"And you kept it with you all the time?" Robin tilted his head up to his uncle, forgetting that it was too dark to see.

"Of course," Kermit said. "Just like I promised. In fact-" he reluctantly pried his arm away from the young frog, reached into his pocket, pulled out a similar stiff piece of paper, and held it where Robin could feel it. "It's right here."

Robin settled his head against Kermit's chest. "Thanks," he whispered.

"Thank you," Kermit said, holding his nephew as best he could. "It made me feel better, every time I looked at it."

"It did?" Robin asked, his voice growing drowsy.

"It sure did," Kermit said.

Robin was quiet for a moment. "Uncle Kermit?" he mumbled. "Were there any good things there?"

"Mm-hm," Kermit said. "There were good things."

"Like what?"

"Pretty things," Kermit murmured. "Every sunrise and sunset was just... just beautiful. And there were stars, Robin. So many stars..." He thought. "And friends."

"Like here?" Robin mumbled.

"Like here," Kermit said.

Robin hesitated. "Are the friends still there?" he mumbled.

Kermit took a deep breath and sighed. "Yeah," he said sadly. "The friends are still there."

"...But you’re home," Robin mumbled.

Kermit kissed the top of Robin's head. "Yes," he whispered. "I'm home."

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahem... If you hexcuse me for a moment.
*Shocks Prawny with thunder and lightning.
No, that's not for using it in your review earlier... It's for calling the frog "Kermie", you know that's Piggy's line and she'll do worse to you if she hears you doing it again.

Now then, about this chapter...
Awwwwwwwwwwww... It rully hits you where it counts.
And that last line... Makes it all the more believable.
Yes, Kermit's rully home now.

Like always... More please.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
OH ROBIN HE'S HOME!!!! HE IS SO HOME!!!!!! OH ROBIN I LOVE YA YOU DREADFULLY CUTE LITTLE THING!!!

Lisa it's just awesome! Just how I hoped the reunion would be! So heartfelt and lovely, and Kermit finally let Robin know how that he wasn't really mad at him. I mean c'mon, how can you be mad at that face??

MORE PLEASE!

redBoobergurl

Reaction score
Ohhh Robin.....gosh I love that little frog. And I love his Uncle too. And I love the heartwarming moments you write for the two of them to share. It was a simply beautiful scene. I'm glad he finally talked to him. *contented sigh* Can't wait to read more.

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Chapter Ten

After a long, long while, the door slowly opened and the light shined in.

Kermit winced at the brightness, which then diminished, but did not vanish, and now Miss Piggy was in the room.

She smiled at him in the dim light. "We were starting to wonder where you were," she said as she sat beside him. Her smile made it perfectly clear that she was not at all upset with where he was. It would have taken a fool not to notice that something was off between the two frogs, and if there was one thing Miss Piggy wasn't...

Kermit nodded to his now sleeping nephew. "I don't want to let go," he explained.

She smiled and happily sighed. "Then don't," she said simply. She kissed his cheek and stood up. "Good night, Kermie." She strolled to the door.

"Piggy?" he said, stopping her. He looked at Robin and gulped. "I'm scared," he confessed. "I'm scared that he won't wake up."

She flew to his side. "Oh Kermie..." She wrapped her arms around him and kissed his cheek three times. "He will," she assured him, "He will..."

"Well- I know," he said quietly. "But I... I don't believe it." He tightened his grip on the young frog. "I don't... believe that... something this good..." His voice dropped to a whisper. "Can be right here."

She stroked his cheek. "You used to," she whispered.

He shook his head. "I used to be fascinated by it," he said. "Now I feel like it'll go away. ...I feel like-" He stopped and shook his head.

She tilted her head down, letting her hair sweep towards his face.

He looked up to her. "Piggy?" he said miserably. "Promise me he'll never hold a gun?"

"Oh Kermie..." She sank her head down, guiding his head to her shoulder, trying to surround him.

"I need to know that, Piggy," he persisted. "I need to know-" His voice broke off, and he let his chin rest on her shoulder as he gathered himself together. After a moment, he pressed on. "I can't ever let him do what I've done."

She suddenly found herself robbed of all means of communication but one, and so she snatched his face to hers and kissed him soundly on the lips.

He pulled away and pressed his cheek against hers. "Not yet, Piggy," he whispered. "Please- not yet..."

She straightened and mournfully looked into his eyes. "When?" she whispered.

He looked at the small, dark green frog in his lap. "When I can look my nephew straight in the eyes," he whispered sadly. He lifted his eyes to her again. "I love him more than anything, you know?"

"I know," she whispered. "I'll wait." She softly brushed her fingers against his cheek. "But then?..."

"Then," he said firmly. "Right then. I promise." He stretched up to her. "Because I love you too," he whispered, and he nuzzled the tip of his face against her soft cheek.

Her breath caught in her throat and a warmth spread over her. In all the e-mails, all the letters, all the words they had ever exchanged, he had never, never said... Her arms draped around him as she sank in close. "Oh Kermie," her voice trembled.

He firmly pressed his cheek against hers. He felt her sliding kisses onto his neck and shoulder, and he nuzzled closer.

"Oh Kermie..."

He nudged her away with his face, sneaking one small kiss onto her cheek. "Piggy," he mumbled longingly.

She reluctantly pulled away enough to look into his eyes.

"It's late," he whispered. "You should get to bed, Piggy..."

"I should," she whispered. She cupped her hands at the back of his head and pulled him to another kiss.

He ducked away. "Then, Piggy," he reminded her, but he tucked a small kiss on her cheek.

"Yes," she said, cupping his chin in her hand. "Then." She gazed into his eyes. "But until then-" She swooped in, kissed his lips twice, and moved across his cheek and neck.

"Piggy," he tried to scold as he pressed against her. "Not until then..."

"I know!" Her arms wrapped around him and she set her head on his shoulder. "I know, Kermie, but I can't help it! You're home, you're finally home, and you love me, and…" She looked up at him longingly. "Just one real kiss? Please?"

He shook himself out of her grip, tilted his head, and stared at her. "But then I wouldn't be able to stop," he said.

"Is that a problem?" she leaned forward hopefully.

He pressed his cheek against hers. "Good night, Piggy," he said firmly.

She sighed. "Good night, Kermie," she said. She kissed his cheek twice more and held his face in her hands. "I'll see you tomorrow," she said happily.

He felt his heart leap as it suddenly struck him that, yes, he could see her, this magnificent creature, he could see her again tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after, and every day for the rest of his life! "Absolutely," he said.

She set one last kiss on his lips, stood up, and flounced away, stopping halfway through the room to spin around and look at him, and stopping again to whirl to face him at the door. "You really mean it, Kermie?" she asked ecstatically. "You really love me?"

He smiled the biggest smile he had smiled all year. "Would I lie?" he said.

She giggled and giddily blew him a kiss.

He couldn't remember the last time his grin had been as big as it was now- in fact, he wasn't exactly sure it ever had been. "Sleep well, Piggy," he said.

She giggled her way out the door, then turned around and shoved her head back in. "You expect me to sleep?" she teasingly demanded, her eyes absolutely shining.

"Well, you could try," he shrugged.

"Why on earth should I bother?" she smiled.

A snarkiness seeped into his eyes. "So you'll be well rested for whenever then comes," he growled.

She sighed deeply and relaxed against the door jam.

"Go to sleep, Piggy," he said quietly.

She sighed again. "As you wish, Mon Capitan," she whispered. She blew him one last kiss and trailed away, closing the door behind her.

When his eyes readjusted to the darkness, Kermit caught his breath and felt the fact that he had a huge smile on his face. "Wow," he whispered.

He turned his head down towards the little frog in his arms and leaned to get a little closer to that precious, tiny life, until he could feel the soft, gentle breath between his eyes.

"Wow," he whispered, and he stayed there all night.