A little Mirrormask news

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I just thought I would share this little snippet of info on the progress of "Mirrormask" that I read in Neil Gaiman's blog:

Let's see -- Mirrormask wise, as far as I can tell everything is going fine. Whenever I talk to Dave McKean and actually ask him how it's going he makes that despairing noise that Lurch made in the Addams Family TV show, and then tells me about the Render Farm that was delayed in customs (this is a computer and not actually a small farm of any kind) or the need to transfer from Unix to Linux in order to stop some high end animation program from crashing on them and why each animator now has to have a PC and a Mac box on his or desk, the usual day to day hellish woes of a small animation studio I suspect, but the actual film seems to be taking shape rather wonderfully. The last call from him was to tell me that I had to write some lyrics for the song to go over the end titles please.

Is anyone else looking forward to seeing this?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this, but I've heard so little about it. I'm very intrigued, though...

trekkie1701E

Reaction score
I've heard very little about it, but will definately be seeing it when it's released.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
OK, I was wrong. They haven't shot this yet. Neil Gaiman posted in his blog today that the JHC is in the process of arranging financing:

The Neverwhere movie project seems to have got new life recently -- the last thing I heard from Lisa Henson was that they had a financier and were working out some details. I'll make an announcement or link to a press release as soon as something's a bit more solid.

So there you have it, the mystery of Mirrormask's status solved. I'm looking forward to it!

Reaction score
Neeiiiiiillllllll!!

Augh!!! I loooooooove Neil Gaiman & Dave Mckean- i'm unbearably excited for Mirrormask to come out! isn't it going straight to video though?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I'm not sure. I don't think there is a definate plan, but probably. They wanted to do it because of the success of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD. I'm a big fan of Neil's too - I actually haven't read much of his work other than his first children's book but I read his blog religiously.

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I'm not sure. I don't think there is a definate plan, but probably. They wanted to do it because of the success of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal on DVD. I'm a big fan of Neil's too - I actually haven't read much of his work other than his first children's book but I read his blog religiously.
oh you really should check out his writing- its phenomenal! Its so full of amazing history, mythology, and folklore story lines! I think its awesome that he's working on Mirrormask- he and Mckean are a great team!

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I know, Neil does tons of research on his books. I just don't tend to read much fiction. If I did I'd probably be reading a lot of Neil's stuff.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Another nugget of Mirrormask news from Neil's blog....I'm confused. Have they started production or not? :confused:

Anyways, here's the latest straight from Neil's mouth, er pen...uh, keyboard...you know what I mean:

Today I've watched a prototype of Mirrormask all the way through twice: the first time just watching it, the second making notes to give to Dave. It's very strange: you can start to see what it is, now. Bits of the animation are in place -- it's not just blue-screen any longer. Most of the animated character voices are still just Dave McKean doing place-holder vocals, but then there's Stephen Fry as the Librarian, and the amazing Andy Hamilton (as a sort of little hedgehoggy character known in the script as Small Hairy) which move it to a whole different level.​