A Prologue to The Muppets 2011

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
Very nice, I'm so close to tears after every chapter I read; definitely heart-wrenching. Very sweet song too.

outerelf

Reaction score
Thank you both. Hopefully the next chapters remain just as interesting.

outerelf

Reaction score
A Quiet Interlude:

Grandma hummed happily as she entered into the room, glancing around- there were signs of Robin’s little rampage, including a few extra touches that had gone noticeably untouched upon by Robin.

After all, the phone had been pulled out of its socket and tossed into the garbage can. She smiled as she lifted the phone out of the trashcan and plugged it back in. The answering machine beeped softly, it’s robotic tone saying, “You have One New Message.”

One froggy eyebrow, inasmuch as frogs had eyebrows, rose. “A new message?”

She pressed play, and the machine went silent for a moment, before Robin’s tiny voice spoke up. “-ello? This is the Frog Residence.”

Robin must have gotten to the phone at the last second, in time for the machine to begin recording. “Robin! This is your uncle Kermit-“

“I hate you.” The reply blasted over Kermit’s fumbling greeting, aiming straight for the heart. “I hate you uncle Kermit. You’re the most selfish, stupidest uncle in the world. You always-“

“Wait, what- Robin? Robin, would you please listen to me for a few moments? I want to tell you something-“

“NO! I won-“ The message cut off there in perhaps the greatest of all letdowns. Grandma stared at her crappy answering machine in disgust- it only held a certain amount of time, but couldn’t it telll that this was a conversation of a lifetime?

“You are a horrible answering machine.”

“Hey, don’t blame me- I’m just doing my job. Besides, you ought to be glad- there were some choice words in that kids rant that no kid should know.” The answering machine fell quiet with an irate bleep, simmering in anger over doing its job. Grandma sighed as she sat down on the cushioned chair.

“Well, at least Robin had a chance to say his piece.” She casually leaned over to flick on the old black and white television. Comfortingly an old soap began to play, serious and at the same time funny.

“Nothing like a hot cup of mosquitoes tea to calm an old frogs nerves.” The cup reached up to her mouth to take a gentle sip, when suddenly-

A felt covered being appeared onscreen. The cup paused- there hadn’t been a muppet onscreen or in public eye for a long time now. He had on glasses, and was slightly familiar somehow.

“This breaking news is just in! The Muppets Show is said to be making a comeback, in the form of a Muppet Telethon- when pressed for details, we were repeatedly told, that such a thing may or may not in fact be happening. On a related note, temperatures are rising across the globe, and several nasty fights have broken out because of the extreme heat-“

“CALL ME FAT DO YA? HI-YAH!” A whatnot flew through the air, crashed into the Newsman, and the channel proceeded to switch back to the regularly scheduled soap.

“Is-Is this what my son tried to call me about?” Grandma murmured, carefully placing her cup to the side.

“Don’t ask me.” The answering machine grumbled back.

“Oh shut up you. I need to go find Robin to tell him the news.”

On screen the image flickered between several breaking news images- a Plumbing Company being blown up, an anger management facility being broken into- all the while, a single lone Muppet furiously attempted to report on the news as things continued to fall upon his head.

It went largely ignored as Grandma hurried off to find her nephew.

----

Robin placed down the final and last card in the deck, as his sister pouted adorably, hoping that her younger brother might just let her win. “Aww, come on Robin, go easier on me, I’m just a beginner.”

“But you’re older then me sis.” Robin, quite reasonably, pointed out. “Besides, this is War. You haven’t even seen half of the card games I know.”

“Huh? How many are there?”

“Well, I can always pull out my uno deck if you think someone will join us-“

“Robin!” The voice drifted out across the swamp. Instinctively Robin ducked, while rising to his tiptoes to dodge anything that came his way. “Robin!”

“Yeah Grandma?”

“Come see what’s on the news!”

“Huh? Whaaa-“ Grandma easily hooked an arm around him, and lifted him. Robin curled up for a better balancing position, far too used to being randomly picked up and carried around by something bigger then him.

Though being hopped around was slightly new…

“There- look!”

Robin’s confused eyes turned to the soap on television. “Grandma? Isn’t this just reruns?”

“Wait while I change the channel…” Grandma pounded on the television hard- it spluttered, fizzed, and then changed channels.

“And it looks like we have a new information concerting the Muppet Telethon!”

Robin went from sitting on the ground confused to pressed up against the television in confusion in point five seconds flat. “M-Muppet Telethon? Really Newsman?”

“Yes really. Now then, in unrelated news, stock market prices for watermelons continue to fall drastically-“ Watermelons piled on top of the luckless reporter. Robin sighed sadly- Newsman never did learn, but he was very dedicated to his craft.

“Muppet Telethon. I guess that means their cleaning out the theater now, doesn’t it. And… And getting the scripts- Scooter would still know where all the old scripts are. But still… Cleaning Muppet Theaters… The Lights, the stars-“

Robin’s tone was reverent as he stared at the television- there wasn’t any real news on it, not the news he wanted, but that didn’t matter. “Muppet Show… is coming back.”

“Yes it is. And I think you have a choice to make young man. Do you stay here in the swamp, or do you return to your Uncle Kermit?” Grandma paused, before continuing on, “It might only be temporary you know. One last streak of brilliance before he completely burns out.”

Robin’s head slowly turned to her, expression downcast. “Well… I-“ Ma and Dad skidded into the doorway in time to get the next commercial saying that Muppet Theater was back in business. “I want to go back. I want to at the very least say goodbye to Uncle Kermit, if this is all nothing more then a false start.”

Grandma smiled as she nodded. “I thought you might say that. So how about kiddos- you willing to let your son leave again?”

Ma mutely knelt down next to Robin, her gaze locking on his. He looked small and fragile- he was young and impressionable, and she didn’t want him to grow up wrong. She wanted to be a good mother.

She was reaching that point, a point where Robin’s heart and hers were finally reconnecting. “I- I don’t want you to go Robin.” Disappointment filled his eyes, but he didn’t argue.

“I don’t want to, but I know you need too. You left behind a big part of your heart in Muppet Theaters, and I think its time I recognized that. So… So go ahead. Go back to your uncle Kermit. I’m not going to stop you- but remember something for me, okay? You’re my son. And I always, have, and always will, love you.”

May the angels protect you, trouble neglect you
And heaven accept you when it's time to go home
May you always have plenty, the glass never empty
And know in your belly, you're never alone

May your tears come from laughing, you find friends worth having
As every year passes, they mean more than gold
May you win and stay humble, smile more than grumble
And know when you stumble, you're never alone

Never alone, never alone
I'll be in every beat of your heart when you face the unknown
Wherever you fly this isn't goodbye
My love will follow you, stay with you, baby, you're never alone

Well, I have to be honest as much as I wanted
I'm not gonna promise that cold winds won't blow
So when hard times have found you and your fears surround you
Wrap my love around you, you're never alone

Never alone, never alone
Wherever you fly this isn't goodbye

May the angels protect you, trouble neglect you
And heaven accept you when it's time to go home
So when hard times have found you and your fears surround you
Wrap my love around you, you're never alone

Never alone, never alone
Wherever you fly, this isn't goodbye

The last note lingered on the air, and as Ma smiled at him, Robin found it in himself, to give her a spontaneous hug, one of the first. “I love you too ma. I always have. I just think Uncle Kermit needs me more.”

She sobbed into his shoulder. “Yes, you’re right. He does. Just keep that song close to your heart Robin, and remember; you have a home here in the swamp.”

The young frogs head buried back into her shoulder, softly whispering, “I know… I know. I love you Ma. I never got to say it much, but I love you ma.”

“I love you too dear. Why don’t you go with Grandma to help pack your things.”

Grandma took Robin by the flipper and led him out. Ma watched him go, with heavy eyes. Dad turned to her, harsh and demanding. “Why did you let him leave? You’re the one who’s been tearing yourself apart over not being a good mother.”

“You reap what you sow. I sent Robin off because I couldn’t handle him along with the rest of his brother and sisters, and you know what dear? I’ve found that I still can’t handle him. Not in the same way however. Kermit’s taken my place now, and nothing is going to change that.”

“You simply say that because you haven’t tried.” The reply was harsh, but true, and she winced.

“Maybe I haven’t, but how can I possibly say no?”

“It’s good to tell your children no at times.”

“But not now. Robin I think doesn’t belong in the swamp any more then Kermit did. Trust me honey, I know. Spending this time with him… It’s like I’m seeing Kermit as a child again.”

He sighed harshly, arms reaching out to pull her close. “I guess then we got lucky to have such a special child, hmmm?”

“Yes. That’s right. We are.” She leaned against him, taking comfort in his solidarity. “Shall we go say goodbye to our child again?”

“…Just don’t be surprised if one day Kermit comes to you to ask if he can adopt Robin.”

She smiled weakly at that warning. “I know. Trust me, I know.”

TSSD

Reaction score
Wow, this is REALLY good! Great job!

Muppetfan44

Reaction score
The song was beautiful! very touching and can understand the pain that Robin's parents are feeling!

Excited that you are at the point where they are getting ready for the telethon but I would love to hear your take on how Piggy left before the possible happy ending. It was so sad when Fozzie left and you wrote that very well. Would love to read your take on how Piggy left. Keep up the great work!

outerelf

Reaction score
Thank you to all my reviewers! One last chapter, and if I can figure out a way, a special epilogue is left. So look forward to Wednesday to hear about how one Miss Piggy left the theater. (At least, my Wednesday, it might be different for other people)

outerelf

Reaction score
And here we go! I'm posting this early Wednesday because I'll be gone for the rest of the day, but here's the last chapter. You all will have to tell me if there needs to be an epilogue.