A Prologue to The Muppets 2011

outerelf

Reaction score
Robin eagerly and impatiently bounced in his seat, staring at his Grandma, trying to urge her to hurry up. Indiscreetly of course- Uncle Kermit would have a fit if he actually asked her to hurry it up, even if it was for a good cause.

“Grandma!”

“Hold your horseflies there young tadpole. These old bones only go so fast.”

“That wasn’t what happened when you picked me up and carried me off.” Robin muttered it under his breath, soft enough that she couldn’t hear, impatiently bouncing on one foot.

He could take the bus on his own- he’d done it often enough. He just didn’t want to tell his parents, (or his uncle) who would probably freak out (especially his uncle).

The swamp dirt road had given way to smooth pavement, and quietness had given way to the sounds of buzzing cars. “Come on Grandma, the bus stop is right over there, and if we’re lucky we’ll get on before the Forgs and the Gorfs get on.”

“The what?”

“…Never mind Grandma.”

“Now look here-“ A green fuzzy creature hurtled past her, and bounded onto the bus. Robin groaned, and tugged her on her arm.

“Come on, we gotta get on before the rest come. And if they call you a Grof, just say yes. It makes things easier.” Robin briskly moved onto the bus, showing an exuberance that had been noticeably missing in the swamp.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could swear she could see another Muppet wandering the streets-

Despite herself she couldn’t help the smile. It seemed almost as if the world had been on pause ever since Kermit closed the theater- now Muppets began to wander the streets freely, almost daring anyone to mention anything.

Robin hopped up onto the bus, paid his bill, and looked at the bus driver. “I- Grover?”

“Hello, it is your loveable, furry blue monster here as your bus driver. I shall get you anywhere you need to go!”

Another fat blue Muppet sat in the seats, head buried in his hands. “Why me? Why me? Why me? WHY ALWAYS ME?!” He sobbed at the sky, begging something, anything to help him.

Instead, the letter W appeared in the upper right corner. “Oooh, looks like the letter of the day has appeared. The letter… what is that letter anyways?” As Grover looked confused, someone pointed off ahead.

“Excuse me bus driver, we’re about to hit a Walla Walla.”

Grover yelped, eyes flying to the road, and jerking the wheel sharply to the right. Above them the letter floated mercilessly. Robin tugged at his Grandma’s sleeve- “Let’s get off on the next stop. Educational bus rides won’t be very fast, and tend to be very distracting.”

“If you say so…” Grandma cast a look around the bus, realizing that it was full of Muppets. “Where are these Muppets from?”

“Sesame Street- they must’ve taken a vacation.” Robin perked up as they pulled into the next stop, and quickly pulled his Grandma off. It was turning out to be a full days worth of work.

It didn’t take long before another bus rolled up beside them, full of humans. This time the two frogs were the ones given odd looks as they boarded the bus.

One person nudged another. “Is that Kermit?”

“No, can’t be. They don’t have the collar.”

“Oooh, okay, now I see. You think its true?”

“Oh, I hope so. Trust me, I hope so.”

Robin settled into an empty seat, humming happily as he pulled out a book, settling in for a long ride. Grandma smiled at the sight- he was a good tadpole, whatever else. “So Robin, I think you’ve left part of your story untold.”

The happy mood took a Gonzo plunge into oblivion. “I don’t wanna.”

“Robin-“

“NO!” The reply was soft but vehement, and eyes stared down at the floor. “I don’t wanna talk about Miss Piggy leaving…”

“You said you wanted to call her aunt, didn’t you?”

“…Do we have to do this? Here? Now?”

“Yes. It’s time to face the music and the truth Robin the Frog.”

Robin winced at his full name, slumping against the backseat, book in his lap forgotten. “If you’re sure…”

Grandma didn’t even have to nod- Robin already knew the answer, and was already dragging his mind through the events of that horrible, horrible day. He curled up in his seat, mumbling, “It was such a beautiful day…”

-_-_-_-_-_-_-

Miss Piggy breathed in deeply, surveying her room. It was a comfortably decorated room, not too lavish. The four-poster bed with silk sheets and quilted down comforters with the waterbed and goose filled pillows was quite comfortable. The velvet drapes blocked both noise and sunlight, with a huge walk-in wardrobe that held only a small fraction of the clothes she wore. The private bathroom off to the right held a Jacuzzi bath, big enough for a pig to swim in.

All in all, a small, cozy, and comfortable bedroom.

Now however she faced a problem- “How on earth dose one pack all of this?”

Fu-Fu barked hopefully, tail wagging as it nudged the food bowl closer to her. “Not now Fu-Fu! You can get your food later. For now, moi will be figuring out what to pack. Not this dress, and certainly not that dress- it went out of fashion three days ago. Ugh, and this one is just tacky-“

Miss Piggy tossed clothing left and right in a brutal sorting of her clothing- she only had fifteen suitcases, and she still had other essentials to pack like makeup and her appliances.

All knickknacks and nostalgic items however were remaining firmly within the room to collect dust or swamp mud particles, or whatever was in this empty mansion. Only Kermit knew what all was in the mansion at any given time, and even then he only knew half of what was going on.

One hand paused on a beautiful wedding dress- one she had worn several times when attempting to coerce Kermit to marry her. She smiled at it, gently fingering the fabric.

Outside of her window, she could hear loud snoring- Sweetums had decided to take advantage of the warm summer sun to go ahead and nap- he was getting fat actually, with nothing to do.

She sighed as she pulled back her hair- what she wouldn’t give to be able to sweat to cool down! As it was she could only hope that the air conditioner caught up soon. A gentle knock came at the door, and she paused in her frantic packing.

“Kermie?”

“Miss Piggy?” The voice was younger, quieter, less certain of itself then a certain frog, but it was a welcome voice nonetheless. The door creaked open slowly, and Robin peeked around the frame.

There was no change to his expression as he viewed the messy room- he had already guessed. “Do vous need something Robin?” Miss Piggy questioned sweetly, attempting to pat down her frazzled hair into something a little more beautiful.

“I- I wanted to ask if you could take Sweetums with you when you left- he’s been really bored, and I know you’re passing by a construction company… They could probably use him.”

As he talked, he crumpled a piece of paper in his hand, and made a shot for her trashcan. It landed perfectly, and he was able to get it all out without once looking her in the eye.

“Well, moi was planning on using Sweetums to get my luggage to the car…” Piggy murmured softly, eyes locked on the young frog. All thing considering, he was taking this mighty well.

“Thanks Miss Piggy-“ Robin turned to go.

“Wait! Robin, would you come here for a few moments?”

The frog turned to her confused, Piggy smiled sweetly- She would say goodbye to Kermit later, but for now, she had one last important duty to do. For in the crumbled up paper she could see a notice that frog scouts was canceled. She patted a clear spot next to her as she sat down on the waterbed.

Curious, Robin climbed up next to her, and she took a deep breath, “You know Robin, I’m leaving, just like everyone else-“

The composure robin had built up crumbled like sand. “Please don’t go Miss Piggy- Uncle Kermit likes you best.”

She smiled bitterly at that statement. Oh what I wouldn’t give if that was true! Wrapped up in her thoughts, she didn’t notice Robin’s fast paced babbling. “In fact, he once asked me if I wanted to call you Aunt Piggy, which I really do Miss Piggy. One day I want to call you Aunt Piggy and I- Miss Piggy?”

“Hmmm? Oh, ah ha ha ha- Sorry about that Robin. I was just thinking… But I think it’s time that I go as well.”

All hope died, and Robin turned away. Piggy gently rested a hand on top of his head, saying softly, “So, one last song, just for vous before moi goes.”

I `ll sera votre épaule
Lorsque vous avez besoin de quelqu'un à se pencher sur les
Soyez votre abri
Lorsque vous avez besoin de quelqu'un pour vous voir à travers
I `ll être là pour vous transporter
I `ll y être
I `ll être le roc qui sera forte pour vous
Celui qui tiendra à vous
Quand vous sentez que la pluie tomber
Quand il s `aucun corps autre autour
I `ll sera

It was probably bad taste to sing it in French, but the lyrics… If Robin knew the lyrics, if Kermit knew what the lyrics meant, neither would be too pleased. At least she doubted Kermit would be too pleased if he learned she was singing to his nephew a song a mother would sing.

“Miss Piggy?” Robin sounded so confused, and she simply smiled as she patted him on the top of the head.

“I’ll tell you the lyrics when you’re older…”

Robin nodded and slid off the bed- no doubt to say goodbye to Sweetums. Piggy watched him, go, softly singing the English lyrics.

I'll be your shoulder when you need someone to lean on.
Be your shelter.
When you need someone to see you through.
I'll be there to carry you.
I'll be there.
I'll be the rock that will be strong for you.
The one that will hold on to you.
When you feel that rain falling down.
When there's nobody else around.
I'll be.

The door swung shut, and silence returned to the house.

-----

Robin cowered beneath the stairs, hands over where his ears would be located if he had any, trying to block out the sounds of Kermit and Piggy in the hallway arguing. “What do you mean I’m abandoning you?”

“Miss Piggy, out of all people to leave I never expected you-“

“Well, if you’d been paying a bit more attention then maybe you’d of seen it coming-“

‘Now look here Miss Piggy, I-“

“No, you listen here Frog!”

The fighting abruptly dropped three tones, as both moved into backstage manner- someone could hear them if they argued too loud. “FINE!”

Robin flinched as Kermit yelled, “YOU’RE FIRED!”

“TOO LATE FROG! I’M LEAVING RIGHT NOW!”

The door slammed shut.

-_-_-_-_-

Grandma pulled Robin into a gentle hug as his voice cracked, offering what little comfort she could. Robin murmured softly, “Three days later Ma and Dad came to pick me up.”

The bus slowly shuddered to a halt, and the bus driver leaned back, “Muppet Theater stop.”

Robin an Grandma both looked up, and began to pull themselves to their feet, Robin murmuring softly, “Let’s go.”

Together they got off the bus, and Robin took a deep breath.

The theater was crumbling and old. Pieces of it were gone now, vanishing into history. Tape warning others to keep out was strewn across the ground- the lock on the door was gone.

Robin drew in a deep breath, and ever so faintly he could hear it- the sounds of music.

“It’s time… to meet the Muppets, on the Muppet telethon tonight.”

He bolted into the theater, leaving behind a bemused Grandma. She smiled as she entered the building- and the sounds of music caught and gathered her, welcoming her to the theater.

-End-

TSSD

Reaction score
Great end to an even greater story. Great job Outerelf!

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Nice! Did you write the songs yourself? I didn't know any of them...

Bittersweet but hopeful. I like. The goodbyes, the angst and anguish, and then the Muppets gradually coming out in the open again... defiant and in growing hope... yes. Nicely done!!

Needless to say, I'm happy you mentioned a certain Muppet being devoted to his art and trade just as much as the performers... :news:

Thanks for this! A good lead-in!
---------------------------