ABC News Video: Jason Segel, Muppet Savior

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah but see does that mean the Muppet characters whose personalities could be described as pessimistic aren't really Muppets?
MrBloogarFoobly said:
Pessimism isn't Muppety? Come on! Apparently people have rose tinted views of the past, because there are plenty of occasions in which the muppet characters have been pessimistic. It's a human trait. People seem to think Jim Henson walked around with a wide grin his entire life.
Um. I said what's "Muppety" not "particular Muppet-character specific". You guys are cherry-picking the Oscars, Sams and Boobers instead of assessing the entire spirit of the Muppets. That's never changed. It's always come from Jim Henson's optimism with a little bit of fuzzy anarchy thrown-in. That's gotten a little muddied over the years, but it has remained ever-present. The Muppets are about triumph over adversity and pessimism and that's the pitch of this film. That doesn't mean Statler and Waldorf's commentary isn't appreciated...but we know the real reason why "they always come here". They're part of the Muppet love too. They'll just never admit it. Some people like to poke fun and argue just for the sake of it. :wink:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That doesn't mean Statler and Waldorf's commentary isn't appreciated...but we know the real reason why "they always come here". They're part of the Muppet love too.
Well maybe that's the way to look at the fans who are on the more "cautious" side. :wink:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I have issues with him being labeled "The Muppet Savior"... no, not in a blasphemous way or anything, I just don't like the idea of people basically crediting him for "saving" the Muppets.

Seriously, if all it took was for someone like him to just submit a script to Disney for a new movie, I'd say anyone, like Prawnie for example, could've done the same... him, I'd gladly dub a Muppet Savior, his fanfics are always top-notch, true to the characters, and are written with a lot of heart and soul, he could probably write a fantastic movie.
While I do appreciate the sentiment and compliments... I have to disagree with you. Completely. While I would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to pen a Muppet movie (who among us wouldn't?!), I am not Jason Segel. Like it or not, Jason Segel is a celebrity. Star of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed romantic comedies of the past five years, star of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed sitcoms of the past five years, a talented actor, writer, and puppeteer. But most importantly? He is a huge Muppet fan. I have one of these characteristics and that's it.

Mr. Segel is the savior of the Muppets. As many people have already said in this thread, if it weren't for his genuine love of these characters, Jim Henson, and puppetry, we would absolutely not be seeing a major motion picture from the Muppets this year. People are crediting him for "saving" the Muppets because he did just that. He saved them from obscurity by being aggressive and dedicated towards Disney. He used his celebrity and fame to save a franchise that means as much to him as it does to all of us. He is absolutely not using it merely as a platform to further his own celebrity. He's doing it to live his dream--how many of us would not do the exact same thing?

Like it or not, Jason Segel has a lot of heart and soul and probably has written a fantastic movie. If I'm wrong, then I'll be happy to admit it. But since May we've been treated to an amazing amount of trailers, clips, and songs from The Muppets and each and every one of them point to the fact that I am most certainly not wrong and that Jason Segel is one of us and cares just as much as me, you, and anyone else here.

I fully understand hesitance towards the movie... that's healthy and probably smart. But complete and utter backlash against a funny, talented, and passionate individual who used his standing in Hollywood to recover these characters from obscurity and gathering dust on a shelf in some ill-fitting section of Disney? I will never understand that. Jason Segel is doing something that I can't do, something that you can't do, and he's doing it to save the Muppets.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
While I do appreciate the sentiment and compliments... I have to disagree with you. Completely. While I would absolutely LOVE the opportunity to pen a Muppet movie (who among us wouldn't?!), I am not Jason Segel. Like it or not, Jason Segel is a celebrity. Star of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed romantic comedies of the past five years, star of one of the most popular and critically acclaimed sitcoms of the past five years, a talented actor, writer, and puppeteer. But most importantly? He is a huge Muppet fan. I have one of these characteristics and that's it.

Mr. Segel is the savior of the Muppets. As many people have already said in this thread, if it weren't for his genuine love of these characters, Jim Henson, and puppetry, we would absolutely not be seeing a major motion picture from the Muppets this year. People are crediting him for "saving" the Muppets because he did just that. He saved them from obscurity by being aggressive and dedicated towards Disney. He used his celebrity and fame to save a franchise that means as much to him as it does to all of us. He is absolutely not using it merely as a platform to further his own celebrity. He's doing it to live his dream--how many of us would not do the exact same thing?

Like it or not, Jason Segel has a lot of heart and soul and probably has written a fantastic movie. If I'm wrong, then I'll be happy to admit it. But since May we've been treated to an amazing amount of trailers, clips, and songs from The Muppets and each and every one of them point to the fact that I am most certainly not wrong and that Jason Segel is one of us and cares just as much as me, you, and anyone else here.

I fully understand hesitance towards the movie... that's healthy and probably smart. But complete and utter backlash against a funny, talented, and passionate individual who used his standing in Hollywood to recover these characters from obscurity and gathering dust on a shelf in some ill-fitting section of Disney? I will never understand that. Jason Segel is doing something that I can't do, something that you can't do, and he's doing it to save the Muppets.
I agree with this! Frank may have had something in development, but who says that wouldn't have been yet another of many shelved attempts? Disney took so long bringing this film into production and Segel remained passionate throughout the lengthy process. He created an opportunity, seized it and saw it through. I'm still not keen on the official "savior" status, but he did what no one else could do or even wanted to do. I think that's the most important part. He wanted this as much as the fans.

RockSTAR girl

Reaction score
Is it weird that this video a) made me want a room like that and b) confirmed that Jason Segel might be my dream man??

Drtooth

Reaction score
But complete and utter backlash against a funny, talented, and passionate individual who used his standing in Hollywood to recover these characters from obscurity and gathering dust on a shelf in some ill-fitting section of Disney? I will never understand that. Jason Segel is doing something that I can't do, something that you can't do, and he's doing it to save the Muppets.
I have no doubt Disney would have eventually did something with the Muppets, but it wouldn't have been quite as epic or passionate as this film will be. Best we could have seen is another theme movie or another classic retelling (even though MOz showed many reasons it can go wrong), and it may not even have been theatrically released, or at least released during a "at least it could make up half of the production costs" winter vacation release. I have no doubt though, Jason's Muppet movie's the reason Disney went through with the comics and the virals. They wanted to slowly build the brand back up and say "they're still here" in case they did make a movie.

It's no secret, even before the Muppets were sold to Disney there was some wishy washy humbuggery at Henson. We had scads up unproduced scripts all named and listed when VMX got huge ratings... they just sat in piles and they wembeled over what they should do with what, and nothing was getting done. Even since before MFS they had all these scripts that weren't going anywhere.

I wish someone with Jason's passion would get Henson off it's freaking butt and get a Fraggle Rock movie made.