An Animated Sesame Street series

Tim Kelly

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
I didn't know this untill I watched the SS biography, but Rowlf and Kermit were both used, together, to help launch SS in its first episode. My question is, if they were both used for this, why did Kermit go on with the show, but Rowlf didn't?
There was at least one SS moment with Rowlf, where he counted 9 lightbulbs around his head and turned to look at each one of them. I think there was at least one other appearance, but I can't remember it.

As for an animated SS, if it could be the same quality as the segments in "Follow That Bird" I'd love to see it.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
From what Iv'e heard, Rowlf was originally supposed to be a Sesame Street charachter, but Jim Henson had second thoughts about it for some reason (we may never know) It's ironic how he later became a Muppet Show charachter instead.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
From what Iv'e heard, Rowlf was originally supposed to be a Sesame Street charachter, but Jim Henson had second thoughts about it for some reason (we may never know) It's ironic how he later became a Muppet Show charachter instead.
I do know that Jim Henson was both strongly against using characters created for commercial television productions on a public television edutational show and trying to protect his ownership of characters not created for Sesame Street, but that doens't explain why Kermit was used on the show so much, although I have read that they stopped making new Kermit skits during the second season because kermit was used for commercial television, but he was then brought back the following year.

Those reasons are also why so many of the monsters whow ere created for variety show appearances were rebuilt when they appeared in the first season, but that also doesn't explain why kermit wasn't rebuilt to make him a different enough character.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Actually Kermit was rebuilt. He was originally without his trademark Collar, and he didn't have flippers, just regular feet. I read about this in the book I have called Jim Henson The Works. I think he was originally a Lizard. :smile: :smile: :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BooberFraggless said:
Actually Kermit was rebuilt. He was originally without his trademark Collar, and he didn't have flippers, just regular feet. I read about this in the book I have called Jim Henson The Works. I think he was originally a Lizard. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Was Kermit rebuilt for Sesame Street? I thought he was first rebuilt for Hey, Cinderella, which was filmed in 1968 but first broadcast in 1970.

muppet maniac

Reaction score
I would love to see one. I would tape every episode they would ever do. Bring a cartoon Sesame Street show.
I was thinking about that too. And I had some ideas:

1)Series in Europe(maybe in Germany). Could have Bert, Ernie(I hear E/B are really popular there), Cookie, Grover, Count, Prairie, Oscar, Herry and even characters like Guy Smiley, Sherlock Hemlock, Lefty, Betty Lou, Fat Blue. Each episode would have 2 storylines, plus some short inserts.

Some plot ideas:

*Guy Smiley and Grover, both protrayed as princes, try to rescue Rapunzel from the tower. They keeep on arguing about ways to do so until she actually uses the stairs to climb out...without them noticing.

*Bert gets a new armchair

*Lefty sells a muffler to Grover

*Ernie, Bert, Grover, Betty Lou, Oscar, Count and Herry enter a contest in guessing how many gumballs are in the tank. They try many different ways to count them...but they keep on losing track.

*Cookie learns table manners

2)Anime series(Japan). Not really having to do with SS, but has Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Oscar, Cookie, Grover and (either Snuffy or The Count, or just the first six) living in a modern-day city with some new (anime/non-Muppet) characters. Basically it will be about the characters living life there and fighting evil...sort of like the Muppets superhero fanfics muppetwriter's done(which I like, especially the Sesame DC ones), and there would be some darkness to the series but the characters are still the same...except they've been changed up a bit. This will target to older audiences(teen/young-adult)

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
There are two instances that I can think of where they transformed the Sesame Street characters into animated versions:

ELMO'S WORLD: THE STREET WE LIVE ON

and

SESAME STREET PRESENTS: FOLLOW THAT BIRD

BEAR

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
There are two instances that I can think of where they transformed the Sesame Street characters into animated versions:

and

Also the beginning of the SS home videos now, they show a group of characters in cartoon form trying to put up a sign.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I love your ideas muppet maniac. Those are some really neat ones. I would watch them all the time if this were to ever happen. I would love to see a cartoon series of Sesame Street Characters. What's cool is that they could bring back all sorts of old characters and have either good cartoon actor voices to come and do voices for old characters that haven't had a voice in a long time. We need to do something like that or help them out with it. If we could convince them to do it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:

and

They were also animated for an opening of the Shalome Sesame series. An animated Ernie and Bert fly around the world in a plne and land in Israel. Now... I dunno if that was used for the specials or that WAS the actual Israeli opening.

ALso, I want to point out, Plaza Sesamo animated its own co-production characters, but only as openings and closings to the show. (The opening theme has them travel through a rainbow in a school bus with kids... they all turn into animated versions of themselves. The Ending features a "Plaza Seasamo was brought to you by" bit where the three characters are infront of some sort of mix between a computer and a Slot Machine. they pull the levers to see the letter and nuber of the day. Pancho pulls the lever, but too hard, causing the machine to spark out of control. They all run away with goofy smiles and wave goodbye).

>>Anime series(Japan). Not really having to do with SS, but has Big Bird, Ernie, Bert, Oscar, Cookie, Grover and (either Snuffy or The Count, or just the first six) living in a modern-day city with some new (anime/non-Muppet) characters. Basically it will be about the characters living life there and fighting evil...sort of like the Muppets superhero fanfics muppetwriter's done(which I like, especially the Sesame DC ones), and there would be some darkness to the series but the characters are still the same...except they've been changed up a bit. This will target to older audiences(teen/young-adult)<<

While Oscar pulling off a Kameha Meha wave, Big Bird fighting Akuma Shogun, and Ernie and Bert fighting in the Shaman Tournament with Jim Henson as their guardian ghost would all be too fun to resist, NO WAY.

Sounds an awful lot like what the WB did to Looney Tunes. Oddly Enough, I actually wrote one of my famous home made comics where other companies follow that suit, SS being one of them. I'll post the story online somehow (not the visual comic itself, though... it would take too long), but I can tell you, it has a postapocolyptic future where Humans and Monsters wage war with each other, and the only one who can save the world is the reincarnation of Elmo. rest assured, this is parody.

>>I also used to wish they would start a sit-com series styled show with nothing but Muppets and SS People for the whole 30 minute weekly program in different situations, not necessarily TEACHING us anything, and maybe even making fun of themselves by, like walking down the street whistling the ABC's or, instead of talking to themselves, they just stand around counting...<<

I always envisioned an ULTIMATE Muppet show in which they had playlets from Fraggle Rock, TMS, and SS. Ernie and Bert in more adult situations... not sexually of course (i.e. looking for dates in pick up bars)... but basically more grown up type humor. I mean, look at how great they were in the Connie Stevens episode. Too bad there's no chance of that happening... but Non-educational versions of the things they do anyway... Grover being a waiter...etc.