And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

jvcarroll

Reaction score
So.... Echoing Censored's mention of "rebel by birth" in reference to being born in the South.....

What would New England be? "Guy who complains about traffic and weather and has a huge craving for fish: American by choice"?
Technically, New England is part of the original 13 colonies. You know, the ones who fought the British for our independence. The reason why we have the Star Spangled Banner in the first place. Rebel by choice? Rebel by right? Something along those lines. I know many Southerners have little respect for Yankees, but they're the reason we have a United States in the first place. We all owe a great debt to them.

Schfifty

Reaction score
Thought this was worth mentioning here, but a couple of days ago I was driving through my town in the evening and went past a train car which had "NO TRUMP" graffiti etched on it. Honestly, it doesn't bug me, because if a punk wants to spray something anti-Trump on a train car (which isn't really a wise choice anyway), then whatever. Any big political figure is gonna have haters, and graffiti on trains is common anyway.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Yeah, there's an abandoned trailer from a big rig close to where I live, and somebody had original sprayed "F--- TRUMP" on it, then shortly afterward somebody else censor-sprayed the F-word, then doodled a happy face under "TRUMP." As of now, it's all sprayed out.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I actually took a picture of me giving the bird to a car with a bumper sticker that mentioned Hillary.

#noregrets

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I was more than happy to see the Confederate statues taken down. But of course, as per usual, the left has taken it too far. Now mayor de Blasio is targeting anything he deems a "symbol of hate," making no distinction between traitors to the country (like the Confederates) vs flawed but influential historical figures. He's being dangerously ahistorical, just to get votes. Meanwhile he's been a horrible mayor, his track record on the homeless abysmal. It's so much worse than just a few years ago.

Republican or Democrat, both parties have catered to the extremists on their side and we're now seeing the aftermath. Nothing is getting fixed, nothing is getting done. Just a lot of wasted time.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm no big fan of false equivalences. I believe the right far outweighs the left when it comes to wrongdoing. However, wrongdoing is still wrongdoing and all of it should be called out. My question is about DeBlasio. I have no clue how NYC is doing because I haven't lived in Manhattan since 1994, but how does one solve or help the homeless problem? SF is so incredibly kind to our homeless, but the issue is still terrible. I've lived directly across the street from a shelter for over 20 years. This is not hyperbole. My bedroom and livingroom window directly faces these folk. I could talk to one now without even having to raise my voice. It's easy to complain about tough issues, but solutions are much more challenging. There will always be homeless people. Some by choice. But the sheer volume is not okay. What are the policies that help? What gets us on the road toward curbing this crisis? I really want to know.

BTW, I know it seems I've lived a lot of places, but that's really not the case. For anyone who cares, here's how it breaks down (and one can figure out just how old I am). :wink:

1974-1981: Houston, Texas
1981-1983: Washington, DC
1983-1993: Houston, Texas
1993-1994: New York, NY
1994-1995: Houston, Texas
1995-2017: San Francisco, CA (and I'm never likely leaving).

Last edited:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I believe the right far outweighs the left when it comes to wrongdoing.
Well you would consider yourself part of the left, so I understand why you'd feel that way. I cannot in good conscience be part of either.

solutions are much more challenging.
I agree but things did improve majorly under Giuliani (before he lost his soul to Trump :wink:). We've seen that we can do better. And now it's like we're seeing it unravel.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well you would consider yourself part of the left, so I understand why you'd feel that way. I cannot in good conscience be part of either.

I agree but things did improve majorly under Giuliani (before he lost his soul to Trump :wink:). We've seen that we can do better. And now it's like we're seeing it unravel.
I used to feel the same before I realized that there's more power in numbers and that progressives' greatest failing is mostly due to the fact that they've got so many different voices to appease while conservatives are much more linear. Saying it all just sucks is an easier path to go than actually sticking with things and trying to improve the crapola from the inside. That's not easy. But, yeah, I've got a load of progressive friends here who don't see themselves as Dems because the party isn't liberal enough. Eugh. I try hard with those folk. But no, I don't feel like progressives are less corrupt because I am one. There was a short period of time when I was registered as the other party and then as an independent. Such assumptions are why we're in this mess to begin with. In fact, I wouldn't even admit to being a Democrat until 2008. That's less than a decade.

It's inaccurate to say that Guiliani improved the homeless issue. He just relocated many of the folks out of the city. That's not really a fix. And he really wasn't that great of a Mayor. My NYC friends can attest to that. Dinkins was awful. I'll give you that. I lived under him. Eugh. We blew through our budgets for garbage and for snow by October. Um...that was a problem! Corruption, anybody?

Something that happened here a while back is our already large homeless population began to rise. We didn't know why until it came to light that Vegas was giving homeless people money and bus tickets to SF in order to relocate. What Guiliani did was a little bit crueler because he had the police just sweep them out without any assistance. That's not a solution. I want to know what the solution is. This is a serious question posed to the general public. I don't know what it is either.