And America Continues to Show it's True Colors. . .

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sure it still would have been controversial, no doubt (after all, look at the hype surrounding a supposed lesbian couple in FINDING DORY), but I do think it would have gotten less heat - much like the Jewish community, hate "crimes" against the LGBT community have been on the incline ever since Trump won (a lot of gay people are finding hate notes and letters taped to their cars from Trump supporters telling them to leave town, or even leave the country, that America has no place for the likes of them and Trump will ensure that, yadda-yadda-yadda) - granted, we still had a long way to go as far as progression went while Obama was still in Office, however, we did make some progress, and there was less disrespect for the LGBT community . . . not a lot, but a noticeable amount; now, it seems as though America has done a 180 turn back to pre-Obama hate and intolerance against non-white, non-heterosexual, non-Christian groups.

Or, at the very least, if people still felt the way they do about it, I doubt they'd go around crowing about it as much as they are if this happened during the Obama Administration: they'd probably be more quiet and less vocal about it to avoid ticking off the "P.C. police," as they cal it.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
My personal thoughts on Trump and the LGBTQ+ community... honestly I don't think that he's against them (though I don't think he's necessarily for them either), but the anti-LGBTQ+ people automatically think he is, and thus feel emboldened by him being president and feel they have the right to persecute these people in this way. This is how I see it at least.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That's what I was saying a while back, and again, it's not just against the LGBT community, but other groups as well. The Jewish cemeteries aside (apparently, the culprit involved in one of them was a disgruntled guy who was trying to get back at the girl who dumped him, for some reason), attacks against Jewish business and places of worship have boomed in the last few months. Just this past week, a Sikh man was shot by a neighbor who told him to, "go back where he came from." Apparently a lawyer (I think) in Oklahoma keeps hurling racist questions at this clients who are Muslim.

A lot of people (including Jamie) are pointing out how quick Trump is to fly into a Twitter rant after SNL or somebody makes fun of him, but is slow to speak out about these hate crimes, and again, the last time he spoke out against the anti-semitic attacks, he was prompted to do so after Hillary called him up and wanted to know why wasn't he addressing the issue. But I agree with your point, I think Trump himself is totally and completely indifferent to them either way - I think his only concern is Trump himself; but also, like you say, a lot of people out there (including his own supporters) see him as anti-LGBT, anti-semitic, anti-Civil Rights, what have you, and more and more of them are crawling out of the woodwork with their hate because they feel they're free to do so now. These are some of the things I brought up in my soliloquy a couple of months ago.

Old Thunder

Reaction score
You know what I think is really interesting? The character they've chosen to be gay is LeFou. Translated from French to English the name means 'The Fool'. I'm starting to wonder which side Disney really is on...

dwayne1115

Reaction score
You know what I think is really interesting? The character they've chosen to be gay is LeFou. Translated from French to English the name means 'The Fool'. I'm starting to wonder which side Disney really is on...
Was that his name before Disney made either movie. Im sure that this is not a Original Disney idea.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't believe either LeFou, or Gaston for that matter, exist in any version of the tale outside Disney's versions - at least I never remember them being present in other versions.

According to the Disney Wiki, LeFou in particular appears to have been created specifically for their version - apparently different drafts of the character included him being something of a town drunk, and even possibly being an Asian character named OuiOui (French for "yes-yes").

But again, in a way it kind of makes sense to make LeFou gay in this new version anyway, because so many people out there have speculated he was in the animated version, since he admired Gaston even then.

Although, so many people out there like the speculate and theorize any character from any show or movie is gay or even bi: a lot of people on the internet think Hawkeye from M*A*S*H is a manic-depressive bisexual, because despite always running around chasing after nurse, he's not above also kissing other men such as Frank (although jokingly) or Henry (when he was going home). Similarly, there's a fan theory about Irma from the 1987 TMNT cartoon that she's actually a closeted lesbian who wants more than just friendship from April and that her chasing after anything male is her way of covering it up.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I don't believe either LeFou, or Gaston for that matter, exist in any version of the tale outside Disney's versions - at least I never remember them being present in other versions.

According to the Disney Wiki, LeFou in particular appears to have been created specifically for their version - apparently different drafts of the character included him being something of a town drunk, and even possibly being an Asian character named OuiOui (French for "yes-yes").

But again, in a way it kind of makes sense to make LeFou gay in this new version anyway, because so many people out there have speculated he was in the animated version, since he admired Gaston even then.

Although, so many people out there like the speculate and theorize any character from any show or movie is gay or even bi: a lot of people on the internet think Hawkeye from M*A*S*H is a manic-depressive bisexual, because despite always running around chasing after nurse, he's not above also kissing other men such as Frank (although jokingly) or Henry (when he was going home). Similarly, there's a fan theory about Irma from the 1987 TMNT cartoon that she's actually a closeted lesbian who wants more than just friendship from April and that her chasing after anything male is her way of covering it up.
Why do we have to label them as gay or bi? Just because a man may love or deeply admire another man dose that automatically make them gay?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, it doesn't, but another thing to remember is that art is always open to interpretation, and again, these are things that people out there have interpretated or speculated over the years. Granted, a lot of these people seem to be localized to places like Reddit, 4chan, and other similar sites and communities that tend to attract and congregate nuts and trolls, lol.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
No, it doesn't, but another thing to remember is that art is always open to interpretation, and again, these are things that people out there have interpretated or speculated over the years. Granted, a lot of these people seem to be localized to places like Reddit, 4chan, and other similar sites and communities that tend to attract and congregate nuts and trolls, lol.
Well we've talked about this before, but it's all these different stereotypes and labels that are killing us. A wise man once said "Peoples is Peoples" A man may be in love with another man, but dosnt want to be labeled as gay. That man just maybe in love. If there is one thing I know about love is you cant help who you fall in love with.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
"I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." - Trump from one year ago.

This is particularly relevant now. What will it take for this man to finally lose his support base? How many times will he cry wolf with no evidence other than this "believe me" or "I've been hearing" crapola? At this point, he's doing everything in his power to destabilize America. I don't see how any of this will make us great.

Conservatives often complained that President Obama wasn't leading. It was a lie, but they said it to weaken the impression of him. When will they say the same thing about Trump? I don't agree with his politics or his take on many things, but there's a lot to get done. Also, the republicans were right to criticize the amount of Obama executive orders, but at least he worked hard and tried to get things done through congress before it was clear they were going to block anything with is name on it out of spite. It's time for him to actually get off his butt, stop tweeting, stop watching the TV and friggin' lead. I didn't vote for this horrible person, but he is the president. That means he's mine too. It's time to stop tweeting and rallying for adoring crowds and to do his job. It's a hard job, sure. But he's the one who ran for it. It's go time for the Orange Menace. Everyone in the country wakes up and does work that they don't want to do for little to no appreciation, and often a lot of undue criticism. It's time to grow the **** up. It's barely March and I'm already exhausted with Trump's continuing garbage. Sigh.