1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Annoying Characters

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by miss kermie, May 29, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

I have to pull in here and say, why Bean? Now, I haven't seen an absolute ton of Bean, but every time I've seen him I really sympathize with him. He's always the one under appreciated that its getting hit by a door or something. And he really isn't conceited. The other Muppets have praised Bean for his cuteness, he's not just running around saying "Hey look, I'm cute."Here you go:

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Oh, absolutely. Dumb guy jokes can only be funny after so long. Even Bebop and Rocksteady got insufferable after a while (why couldn't they keep them like they were in the first 5 episodes?)

Andy and Randy are part of the reason why MT had problems. ALL the new pigs on that series were flat 1 dimensional and 1 note jokes. Especially the Bay or Pigs Watch characters.

I did like Andy and Randy in the John Goodman episode where they actually did something. But other than that, I'm glad they haven't been used much since the show ended... other than a Muppet Comic and that one Cat Cora.
  3. mo

mo Well-Known Member

animal! I've said this before! I actually like him more considering he was in the original show...
  4. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Scooter, but in the first couple episodes of the muppet show, I found him a little annoying. He was always getting away with things just because his uncle owned the theater. Luckily, he grew out of that after the first season, and became one of the most loveable characters. ;)
    PanthraDion likes this.
  5. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Robin
    JUST KIDDING!!!! I LOVE ROBIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (you calm now, Vincent Liu? ;) )
    ELMO gets on my nerves!!!!! Thankfully my nephew & nieces aren't into SS (anymore. Well the jury is still out on the baby since she's not quite a year yet.But her parents put on Disney programs for her.)
  6. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

I love Animal in everything he does, every production. But what's annoying about him to me.... he's everywhere. Disney and JHC (when they owned him and the Muppets) have been pushing Animal merchandise out the Yin-Yang. He's on over 80% of Muppet t-shirts, probably more than Kermit and he's seen in every plush set. Just because he's the most popular among casual fans, he's in everything. In my opinion, that's probably the most annoying thing about the Muppets.
    mo and Nasubionna like this.
  7. TheWeirdoGirl

TheWeirdoGirl Well-Known Member

With all respect to Frank Oz and Eric Jacobson (they're both fantastic performers), I think for me it's Piggy's voice that tends to grate on me after a while. She gets annoying after hearing her voice for too long.
  8. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Yes. Yes. Elmo is annoying. I definitely agree. (I'm one of those people who don't like Elmo...)

I agree again. I like Animal, but the problem is that he's been put up there with the main gang. I feel bad for the rest of the EM. Just him being the most popular among casual fans is annoying to me. Everyone I know who is just a casual fan, their favorite Muppet is Animal. I don't mind if you happen to be an Animal fan, but some people only like him because he is wild and shouts a lot. That tells me that a lot of casual fans have no Muppety taste, that they'll always take a loud, wild character over a character that is the most lovable and funny at the end of the day. I'm not saying Animal isn't those things though. Really, I think when 90% of casual fans choose Animal as their favorite, I think that there's something going on there, like people not knowing the Muppets well and only choosing the one they remember the most. I can understand if Kermit or Piggy or Fozzie or Gonzo would be the ones a lot of people like, but Animal?
  9. galagr

galagr Well-Known Member

I've always wondered; Of all the characters to become major, why Animal? I always thought that Rowlf and Scooter deserved to become the ranks of a major character. Sure they have SOME merchandise and are semi-major characters, but I would always take a funny, piano playing dog and a quirky backstage assistant manager over a maniacal drum player. Not to mention I'd REALLY like to see a Scooter shirt. Hooray for semi major characters! ;):sympathy::D:sing::flirt::cool:
  10. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

I am NOT a fan of Elmo...OR Telly. @_@ Both of them just grind on my nerves. In Fraggle Rock, I cannot stand the Gorgs either.
    Also, I rewatched the Dark Crystal last night and Chamberlain was seriously getting on my nerves with his whimpering. x.x;
    Dominicboo1 likes this.
  11. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Animal broke the cult to mainstream appeal early. He has a cross appeal that many more casual Muppet fans like, and that's why he's on the t-shirts most of the time (wearing one now). I think they're going Elmo-level overboard with the character, but he always manages to sell, crossing the gap for more casual fans. Though it is a pain in the neck for us fans of the entire Electric Mayhem.

Aw... I can't bring myself to dislike anyone from Fraggle Rock. I tried. Everyone's lovable on some level to me. Sure, there will always be Sesame Street characters I dislike and Muppet show characters that fail to charm me... but Fraggle Rock... Even Wander McMooch is fun. And he's the nastiest character in the series.
    galagr likes this.
  12. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

*lol* Well
    Haha, well I can say this much. I can definitely appreciate the significance of his role on the show and I can even point to moments when I've enjoyed that showcase some Gorg moments. There are a few lines that I liked and the whole episode where Junior and Mokey are trying to find a friend for Junior is actually oddly sweet. I enjoyed it. But for the most part, I moan and groan when the Gorgs come on the screen.
    Is it wrong that his speech impediment drives me nuts?
    Tomservo95 likes this.
  13. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

You really got me there. I was like, staring blankly at the computer screen. I can imagine how Miss Kermie felt now.

On another note, this thread is becoming a "Love This Character" thread
  14. Hayley B

Hayley B Active Member

Me too. But I'm fine with having people not like what I like. I'm interested to know what they think too.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yes...yes it is, hehe.
  16. bandit

bandit Well-Known Member

Bwahaha, well....Guilty then!
  17. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

It feels MESSED UP DON'T IT?!?
  18. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Well-Known Member

Piggy used to annoy me (it's the diva, "me-first" attitude that used to bother me), but she's funny, so that makes up for it, I guess. And judging by this thread, I must be the only person here who feels sorry for Bean Bunny. He's basically the Meg Griffin of the Muppets; only existing as a figure of ridicule. :(

But, I digress.

Pepe annoys me, and has for a while now. I mean, what's his character, other than flirting with women and being hungry for money and fame? Doesn't that wear thin pretty fast for anyone else? I mean, it made me laugh when I was a younger Muppet fan, but looking back, it just seems like they were trying too hard early on.
    heralde likes this.
  19. Princeton

Princeton Active Member

I feel the same way you do. You could tell that Richard Hunt poured everything he had in Scooter. However, upon re-examining Muppets Take Manhatten, Scooter's a bit of a tool. It was his idea to take their show to Broadway, as well as his idea to split up (which he was the only one that really liked that idea). So it seems a bit hypocritical that he has a verse in "Saying Goodbye", as well as being the first one to write Kermit a letter.
  20. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Scooter's always been very practical about show business. At some point in most artists' careers you have to stop and think about getting a side job to pay the bills.