antron fleece and dye

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, water-based is best. If you use reticulated foam paint shouldn't break down the foam as quickly either. If you can't get an airbrush then just try brushing the paint on.

rtgentry

Reaction score
is there a name brand or can I just get this at a craft store

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I am not sure about craft stores, but most drug stores sell Tintex or RIT....as does WalMart. Even some corner stores will stock it.

rtgentry

Reaction score
are you talking about the water based paint, ?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Oh sorry. lol :rolleyes: Missed that. The brands vary quite a bit in each region and here in Canada we have very different stuff. Krylon is considered very good though.

BorkBork

Reaction score
as for spraying gonzo's nose, i think there are waterbased spraycans. I think i saw some in the store.

Thanks for the Aljo-info, but wich of the ones should i use? I see 5 different types of dye on that page...

/Anders

vaderdentist

Reaction score
The aljo for nylon fibers is what you want. Antron=nylon.
If the website doesn't make that clear, just call them and ask.
Dave :smile:
ps
Look for the Acetate-Nylon type specifically. I found the info on the puppet builder website. This type works best for Antron fleece.

Also, to spray paint foam: use Design Master Floral Spray paint.....it doesn't harm the foam whatsoever.

:smile:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by vaderdentist
According to the puppet builder, Aljo has a Nylon specific cold dye that really pumps color into the Antron (nylon) based fleece material and that the colors are much more vivid that Rit which doesn't seem to take to Nylon and other man made fabrics.
This is very true, RIT and Tintex are really intended for natural fibres like cotton I think. I'm by no means an expert on dye (I actually get other people to dye antron now) but I know from experience RIT does not always come out the correct colour (I imagine because it's nylon). Tintex is worse and the colours never seem as vivid. That said, you can work with both if you have no other option.

Do you know if Aljo is available widely through retail in the US? I have never seen it in Canada and most of the people I know who use it order it in bulk from them directly.

vaderdentist

Reaction score
I went to a fabric store hoping to find it today, but to no avail. I have been told you must mail order it and it must be true. My fabric stores almost always have it all...........but not this!

Dave :smile:

BorkBork

Reaction score
i emailed aljo to ask if they have a products catalogue or sheet availible that they could send out, but they haven't answered. Couldn't you email them your order? it seems like it...

/Anders