1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Any chance of a Sesame Street cameo in the new Muppet movie?

Discussion in 'Sesame Appearances' started by mbmfrog, May 24, 2011.

1. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

While they did not have a cameo in their movies in the 90s, here's hoping that Disney would be a bit kind enough to let Sesame Workshop work within the movie to at least show and remind people of the Muppet family relationship between the frog :) and the street :wisdom:.

What do you all think of the chances of this happening ? :(
  2. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

It would make a nice trade-off between allowing Kermit on the cover of the Sily Storytime DVD in exchange for a Sesame cameo, but I also doubt it a bit.

Then again, with the Muppets hosting a telethon, it would be intersting if they had as many Sesame Street Muppets as possible watching the telethon at Bert and Ernie's apartment.
  3. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

You can't forget Kermit's past, and part of his past was on Sesame Street, and I think Disney and Sesame Workshop understand that and are at least trying to get along. So Don't count anything out this movie is going to be the biggest thing in a long time for the Muppets, and I'm sure we are going to be in for a shock or two.
  4. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Much as i'd love to see it, i don't see it happening with this movie. Disney's whole overarching goal is to reestablish the (Classic) Muppets as its own brand and reminding people that this family of characters is different than the Sesame Muppets is a large part of that.

The next Muppet movie, i'd say is a great possibility. But not this one. They're not going to run counterproductive to what they see as the main purpose of the film from a branding/marketing place to appease those who want to see a SST crossover akin to the cameos in the first three films. But at least they're making up for it by giving us lots of rare Muppet cameos from within the Classic Muppet family instead (and hey, if it helps - you can view Beautiful Day's presence as a SST cameo since he has history with both)

As much as lots of Muppet fans would love to see a one-line cameo from Cookie Monster, Disney's need to get the general public to be able to take kids to a Muppet movie or view a Muppet project without every six year old in the audience asking "Where's Elmo? When is Elmo coming?" (or every sixteen year old, for that matter) is greater right now.
  5. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Unless Jason had real pull on the project, I wouldn't hold my breath. I would LOVE to see Oscar or even Traveling Matt in the background of a scene, maybe with one line, but it doesn't seem all that possible. Never mind the fact we haven't seen a true SS cameo in a Muppet movie since MTM (the stairs and doorway that are based off of the front stoop of 123 Sesame St doesn't count).

But I would LOVE to be wrong. :)

Just don't expect it. it's not a surprise if you expect it, and if it doesn't happen it becomes disappointing.

Still... I wish they could put Dracula from FSM somewhere in a crowd scene or as an Easter Egg in a poster. We wouldn't have a Muppet movie (at least this one) if it wasn't for that puppet.
  6. minor muppetz

There was an article about the new movie that confirms Elmo won't make a cameo http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,2076566,00.html?xid=fblike

What I notice is that they said Elmo is too expensive and won't be in the movie, but they don't say the same regarding other Sesame Street cameos, or even point out the difference in character ownership.
  7. Fersureitsjess

Fersureitsjess Active Member

Ya, I just heard about that today! Darn.. wanted a Sesame Street cameo:p
  8. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

Blast it all, there goes a good Big Bird cameo as well. I guess that also means Fraggle Rock may be out of the picture too. :(:smirk:
  9. Drtooth

It sounds like, from that interview, it wasn't Disney saying no.

So... take that any way you can. I don't even want to discuss it, since the probability of something sounds pretty ambiguous at this point.

I'm not holding my breath for anything, I'm not completely doubting it. Though I STILL say Bear should have walked by in a scene.
  10. TSSD

TSSD Active Member

Guys, why is everyone doubting a Sesame Street cameo just because they couldn't get Elmo? Even if getting Elmo is too much money, maybe they could get a different character that wouldn't be as much. Maybe I'm just being stupidly optimistic, but there's still a little bit of a chance.
  11. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

Until we actually see something on the screen, we won't know. If you all want a Sesame Street cameo really bad, well, like DW said, Beautiful Day Monster was on both shows, so yeah, technically it does count. If you really want to be picky about it, Kermit and Rowlf were on both shows, too.

I'm just looking forward to a really great movie with a lot of Muppety goodness.
  12. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

I would have hoped that they would at least let them have Cookie Monster make a brief cameo, I mean remember his appearance in the "Elmo goes Green" DVD ? :insatiable:
  13. Drtooth

All I'm saying is if we have one, great, if we don't, it's understandable (we hadn't had a Sesame Cameo since MTM). But above all, I'd RATHER wait and see the movie and have anything and everything be a surprise. It's great to have seen a big list of celeb cameos and all, but that's going to take the fun out of seeing them all the sudden. I mean, if we think there's going to be a Sesame cameo, even if there was on, instead of being surprised, we'd just ask "when are they going to pop up?"
  14. minor muppetz

I'd have thought that we would care more about what obscure characters appear, or at least have sizable roles. I care about what Muppets have significant parts than what celebrities make appearances.
  15. mbmfrog

mbmfrog Active Member

With the Muppet Movie soon upon us and the reviews are pouring in...I have to ask in terms of cameo/mentions, Was Sesame Street even MENTIONED within the movie ? :(
  16. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

No It was not mentioned at all.
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You know what I find interesting? Back in the days, Jim owned the rights to ALL the Muppet characters, both the Classic Muppets, and the Sesame Street Muppets, but what I never really quite understood is why in TMM and GMC, there had to be disclaimers during the end titles that said Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch "Appear Courtesy of Children's Television Workshop", I mean Jim had legal ownership of Big Bird and Oscar back then, so why would they have to appear courtesy of CTW?
  18. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

They wanted to have Elmo, but they said there was too much money to have him.
    Now a question would be if there are any Fraggles becuase the Jim Henson Company did work a bit on this movie. But there were no Fraggles.
  19. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

You forget two things: 1. JHC DIDN'T do any work on this movie, and 2. JHC just up and gave away the rights to FR.
  20. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

I wouldn't say they "gave away the rights to FR." That's for sure.
    Puckrox likes this.