1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Any chance of bringing back the figure line?

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by Sam's Ghost, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Sam's Ghost

Sam's Ghost New Member

I was wondering if anyone thinks Limited by CAS might re-release some of the main characters in time for the new Muppet movie next year. I figure there has to be some merchandising push for the new movie and I really hope any figures are the same scale as the Palisades ones so we don't have to re-buy all the characters we already have.

I could see Kermit, Pepe, Gonzo, Fozzie and Piggy rereleased along with any other Muppets who will have big roles in the movie. If it catches on, would CAS maybe release some of the unreleased Palisades figures like Sal Minella or Seymour or Bobo?
  2. Luke

Luke Active Member

Wish they would ... but they no longer hold the license to make them. I hope we do see figures, at the very least Disney store PVC's or something. They made some nice sets here for Toy Story 3.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

If anything, Disney would probably release some sort of PVC set of Muppets around next year's film. I wouldn't expect Palisades quality figures from them, but you never know. Since gobbling up the Marvel license, Disney is learning a whole new world of merchandising - especially action figures.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Problem is, even if we DID get a new line of toys, it would basically be the same Kermit, Piggy, Animal stuff we always see.

The Palisades line was revolutionary for Muppet collectibles... even the Sideshow busts managed to give us rarer characters. But we'll never get anything half as cool as Palisades did. And I;m not talking about the quality of sculpt or anything like that. Just the fact we got characters like Dr. VanNeuter... Marvin Suggs... such things weren't possible and I doubt they will be again. The very fact they even tried to get as many characters in the Muppaverse in was a feat in and of itself. Sure, I'm disappointed that we never got Sal and Clueless Morgan was never on the table, but hey... I'll be surprised if we even see Scooter stuff again, and he's a pretty main character.

That said, I'll buy any figurine set that Disney would likely make.
  5. figmental

figmental Member

If they did make a figure line, it wouldn't include any Post-Henson characters. Jason Segel has said that the only post-Henson Muppet was Pepe, and he only has a few lines. So, they wouldn't necessarily release characters like Sal or Clueless Morgan.... because they aren't in the movie.

They could, however, make some featuring the classics. Maybe a new Piggy, and some of the ones never made (like Vet's Hospital) or something.
  6. Sam's Ghost

Sam's Ghost New Member

Sorry to see all the bad news. Segel doesn't like Johnny and Sal? Boo!

I wonder if any movie figures would keep the Palisades scale or switch to a smaller one like most movie toy lines are doing.
  7. figmental

figmental Member

I have an open thread on the WDWmagic Imagineer boards called "2011-The Year of The Muppets", and I'm working on a fictitious action figure line to coincide with the new movie.

And yeah, Segel is only doing that because he wants to make an Old School Muppet Movie only featuring characters that people in the 70's/80's with on the Muppet Show and the first three Muppet movies.
  8. Drtooth

I don't see why we shouldn't have a Pepe toy at some point from Disney... he seems to be on some stuff the Disney Store just released.

I'm just saying, I don't expect to see Dr. Teeth or Crazy Harry stuff out of them anytime soon.
  9. figmental

figmental Member

Yeah, I'll agree that Pepe has now become a central character, what not with him being a source of comic relief.

That's probably why Segel has Pepe as the only post-Henson muppet in his movie.
  10. Sam's Ghost

Sam's Ghost New Member

Even though I was introduced to the Muppets before Muppets Tonight and the newer stuff, Pepe is one of my favorite Muppets, okay.

Sam, Gonzo, Johnny, Pepe, and Swedish Chef are my top 5, no particular order.
  11. Drtooth

Johnny and Sal's appearance in the movie is a moot point anyway. Brian's not going to work on this film, so even if they DID have them in the movie, someone else would have to play Sal anyway.
  12. Sam's Ghost

Sam's Ghost New Member

I'm really out of the loop on the movie, I didn't know Brian wasn't involved. I'll go check the movie threads and get myself caught up :o!
  13. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

So... Post henson muppets... Clifford has a chance to re-join the Mayhem.
  14. figmental

figmental Member

What happened to Clifford? Remember when he hosted his own show?
  15. Drtooth

Elmo happened. Kevin Clash is far too busy with Sesame Street to reprise that role. A shame, since it would have been great to have him sit with the band somewhere. But this is pretty much more of the topic of the next Muppet Movie.

I still say, no matter what old characters are in the movie, we're not guaranteed to see all of them as merchandise. Heck, Disney doesn't make merchandise of every character it has. Why, last year they released a Ludwig VonDrake plush, and that was the ONLY thing I've ever seen with him on it, and he's been around since the 60's!

Considering the old business model, even if we do get toys (Plush were mentioned some point down the line, but I'm sure you're not as interested as figural stuff) we'll wind up with the same main five (in order):

1. Kermit
    2. Miss Piggy
    3. Animal
    4. Gonzo
    5. Fozzie

The last 2 being optional and interchangeable. For a brief time you saw just a little more Gonzo stuff than Fozzie stuff... However, judging by the viral videos and new merchandising. we'd get these following characters extra in time

• Beaker
    • Swedish Chef
    • Statler and Waldorf
    • Pepe

and maybe Bunsen and Rizzo in there too... but Beaker much more so than Bunsen.
  16. figmental

figmental Member

I'd include Pepe, The Chef and Beaker as core characters. Their popularity has skyrocketed to the ranks of a Gonzo or Fozzie.
  17. MaxGoof

MaxGoof New Member

18. LamangoNumber2

LamangoNumber2 Active Member

You never know. No one knew Clash was going to be in Muppets Wizard of Oz. Plus, he said in an interview once, he takes breaks from Sesame Street, just like the other preformers. He could shoot some Clifford stuff in his down time.
  19. JJandJanice

JJandJanice Active Member

Actually they also made this really cool Walt Disney Classics Collection statue of Ludwig Von Drake, but that's much more money than the plush.

Anyhow, as far as more figures to go along with the movie. Well I wouldn't bet on more action figures, but I'm sure there will be toys of some sort, probably in the form of more plush toys. It seems like, at least as far as merchadise goes, Disney has been doing more with Rowlf the dog than ever before, heck they made Rowlf a pin (not excatly one of there better looking pins, but still Rowlf got a pin) and a Vinylmation figure. I would be happy enough for a new Rowlf plush that looks darn good to Rowlf's likeness, :sympathy:.
  20. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

If the reports are true about Disney planning on the next Muppet Movie to be super huge and on the same scale as Toy Story 3 in terms of promotion - i think it's safe to say we'll be flooded with Muppet merchandise in late 2011-2012 of all sorts. I don't know if these would include action figures but i do foresee some variety in representation. Will we see a Marvin Suggs focused product? Probably not but i do think a project of this magnitude designed to be the climax of a big comeback campaign years in the making/planning would have a greater chance at having all kinds of crazy varied merchandise or all stripes. Dare i even dare to dream that the world might get so flooded with Muppetabilia that we might see another store like Muppet Stuff open?

We do also have the comics in the background keeping the obscure fan fave characters in the spotlight as well so one never knows what good happen with Muppet merchandise! Heck given how she tends to make so many cameos in the comics, we may all end up surprised to see a product with Mildred on it at some point!