1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Anyone else glad that Palisades cut down on the...

Discussion in 'Action Figures' started by rexcrk, Jul 19, 2004.

1. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

That's a really neat idea! As for me I put the picture with Beaker, the one with Gonzo, the one with Kermit and the Koozbanians, and the one with the Swedish Chef on mine. That is, I put those ones on my first set. My figure of the Newsman broke at the neck (I accidentally moved it the wrong way, my bad :sympathy: :attitude: ) but fortunately there are like 3 or 4 Newsman figures at Tower Records near me so I got a new one the other day and put the other 4 stickers on the new set and now I have a mint set of stickers :) So actually my stupidity worked out fine, I got a new Newsman figure with a better neck (my original one had a really loose neck that would move on it's own if you'd turn it to either side), I have extra Newsman accessories, and I've got a mint set of stickers.

2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

What you didn't ever realize is that your action figure was actually ALIVE!! :eek:

3. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

LMAO, but what I ACTUALLY meant was that it tilt to either side w/o me touching it ;) :p

4. Fozzie Bear

ExACTLY! It's ALIVE!! ALIVE!!! HA HA HA HA ha ha...
    *Insert Dr. Phil Van Neuter emoticon here*

5. KermMorningstar

KermMorningstar New Member

I still like the playsets...

The problem, as everybody has said, is that they're too expensive for the casual consumer. That being said... what is the Muppet Show without:

1. The front stage! A place where mini set can be set up! With Statler and Waldorf's box!!!

2. Vet hospital (even a small one!)

3. The Electric Mayhem tour bus!!! (I know, rumors about that one have been dashed a long time ago, but I can still hope!!)

I like the idea about offering it directly. However, I'm sure that set up fees would be in the range of LOTS of money so they'd have to sell a bunch to make it worthwhile. That being said, I still think that there is a market for such things, even if only at conventions or PalisadesDirect, and in the interest of appealing to the fans who buy all the rest of the stuff (and try to get all the expensive exclusives, too!)

6. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

If I had to choose just one more playset that they were gonna make, I think I would choose the front stage. I could just see how cool it is, even have a little pit for the band or something :)

7. Luke

Luke Active Member

I don't think there is much chance of a Stage via Palisades Direct. Probably financially impossible just via a web outlet. I actually wouldn't mind them doing a cardboard stage playset or arches as a direct or mail in item though.

8. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

It would be impossible to do a front stage set through Palisades direct. It just could not happen. The set would be huge, the volume small, the price huge and shipping charges alone would be crazy. It would easily be 100 dollar prior to shipping and I doubt anyon is willing to pay that.

9. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

yeee-up! ;)

10. Beaker & Gonzo

Beaker & Gonzo New Member

If one last playset were to be made it should definitely be Vet's Hospital. Palisades could just take the muppet labs playset and make some changes to it, like switching the lab table with an operating table and completely redoing the walls to make them more like an operating room. Then just pack in Nurse Janice, a chicken and some medical tools and there you go, Vet's Hospital.
    I know this is unlikely, but one can dream.

11. Fozzie Bear

I liked the prior ideas Ken made for Vet's hospital and having each of the Vets themselves come with a wall and some accessories ala Newsman. I also would like Bear On Patrol Link with a desk that has the phone and typewriter molded into it and 2 walls, one wall has an opening/closing jail cell door, and stickers of wanted posters to go on the walls.

The final playset when the line ends (oh, GOD! I won't have anything else to look forward to) should be the Muppet Theater, sold alone as its own series so they can afford to have it be elaborate and we can afford it.

12. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

budget does not allow for a playset to replace a series of figures. That isn't how it works. Playsets are technically a different product. They are numbered differently and packaged differently. Besides, telling a store that you want to sell them a playset that costs at least 100 dollars (if it was done the way we all want) as opposed to a set of figures with a much lover SRP per item wouldn't work.

Minis, figures, megas, and playsets are different and budegeted for differently as far as I know.

13. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I said it in 2001, and I shall say it again...the Muppet playsets were a disaster in the making. I still believe Palisades would have made so much more money had they had an individually carded Beaker...I mean let's face it, that Muppet Labs playset based on the Muppet Vision 3D labs was ugly, and not worth getting besides...well Beaker. It's one thing to ask a very non Muppet hungry collector market and folks to buy $9-$12 figures, its another to for people to buy $25-$30 "playsets".

What I think they should have done, was made the Muppet figures not as big as they did...personally I feel they should have been as big or slightly bigger than the mini Muppets...and like the Kenner/Hasbro line, pumped out countless Muppets spanning the ages for $5-$6 a pop. It's obvious th elikenesses are much better in smaller form, and to have made 4 or 5" figures instead of 6-7" figures would have been more cost effective and sold better. If the Simpsons line had been as bulky and such, I don't think they would have sold as well...as much as Macfarlane upped the detail and size scale, the Simpsons show ya don't need all that.

Because of the price and size, I had to stop colelcting the Mupepts regular line at series 5.

But that is just my personal opinion...the mini line of Muppets and Invader Zim are the two lines I am most jubilant about.

14. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

Well, I am likeing some of the minis more than the figures, but we would never have gotten a good Pepe or Rizzo. These would be no way to have them in scale as minis and have articulation. I think that is why the figures were made so big, because there are many smaller characters. If the figures started out mini sized, though, we'd have a stage set by now because it wouldn't need to be larger.

Oh, and FYI, according to KEn the lab sets sold well, but there were way too many of them. SO, it looked like they didn't sell a lot, when they did.

15. Stryder Wolfe

Stryder Wolfe New Member

the lab set is just about my favourite playset. I like ti better than the PIS or ktichen, and it's probably tied with the mayhem stage. There's more playability with it than with the others, at least IMO....

oh wig, I agree with your take on phil's accessories, but had to note that he did have a bunch of glass beakers like that in tales from the vet. he looks through them when he's doing the intro on most episodes...This I only remember because I've just been watching MFS on canadian tv in the last few weeks, though. I personalyl would have liked the brain sucker from MFS or even a pack-in rat instead. And the egg-nog is bleh.....

16. WiGgY

WiGgY New Member

A rat would have been AWSOME! A rat with Scooter would have been cool too.

I wish I was in Canada, or at least got your stations.

17. CyberSteak

CyberSteak New Member

Wait a second...what channels are the muppets on in Canada??? What have I been missing???

18. homerthegreat

homerthegreat Member

It's on CTS (36) every day.