1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Are good puppeteers also good at drawing?

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by TheCreatureWork, May 31, 2007.

1. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

I was wondering how many of you out there are not only good puppeteers, but can also draw really, really, well? I wonder if there is a link? I just ran through my noggin how many really good puppeteers there are that are also very artistic, and I was amazed to find about 90% of them were! This might be a stupid question, but these are the type of things I think about while on vacation :)

2. puppetise

puppetise Member

well over the years i have gotton really gtood at drawing mystical creatures and live animal scetches

3. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

I draw all the time and have for awhile....and I think when it comes to puppets....Personally if I can't draw it I can't build it.

4. maniacal muppet

maniacal muppet Active Member

("Begins big, stuck-up voice, kinda like Link's") Well, if I do say so myself, I'm not too bad of a puppeteer and I have a talent for drawing as well... (Insert Link smiley here.):)

5. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I actually started as a a cartoonist and found puppetry as another outlet for my creativity ( I also developed some issues with my fine motor skills and found operating a puppet easier than drawing). Ironically I get paid by the school I work at to teach art and puppetry to children so its all good. I also have to teach fourth grade every day so I am happy summer is coming (for a whole month I get paid to do nothing but work with puppets... I couldn't ask for a better job)!

6. spcglider

spcglider Member

Most puppet builders need a modicum of 2-D artistic talent simply for doing sketches of what they intend to build. And that seems to be fairly universal.

I'd be interested to see, however, the correllation between the types of puppets that they are involved with and the art style the are most proficient at. Do Muppet-style puppet folks excel at cartoon-y art? Do marionette puppeteers excel at finer, more realistic interpretations? Etc.

-Gordon

7. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

*Raises hand* ME! ME! ME-ME-ME-ME-ME!

8. Super Scooter

Super Scooter New Member

When I was younger, I either wanted to be a comic book artist or a puppeteer. Not meaning to "blow my own horn", but I think I'm fairly good at drawing/painting.

9. Teenager's

Teenager's Member

Oh.....Thats an interesting question Gordon...

10. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

I am a puppeteer and a cartoonist my self.

I think Caroll Spinney was a cartoonist too. He drew the Mr. Hooper portrait on Big Bird's wall.

11. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I don't think there is necessarily a connection...although a lot of puppeteers are great visual artists too. I started doing puppets as a teenager partially because I was interested in and studying animation, but couldn't draw to save my life. I've gotten a little better. Just a little though.

That being said, I think it's really important for people who build puppets to have classical art skills. I don't really, but I know builders who do and they build much more interesting puppets.

12. Whispers

Whispers New Member

XD I consider myself a pretty amateur artist but when people see my CG artwork they think its pretty topnotch haha. But I think creativity is one of the essential parts of puppetry and sort of goes hand in hand with it.
    I'm not surprised that so many good puppeteers are also good artists

13. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Well-Known Member

I think my CG work looks pretty good too, but CG is cheating I think. :p

14. Jinx

Jinx Member

Well, just to throw a monkey-wrench into things, I cannot draw to save my life... which is of course why I am a graphic designer for a living!

I find it very interesting that both of my parents, both of my brothers and both of my sisters can all draw, but I cannot. Weird....

15. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

Hmmm...I have four brothers and every single one of us can draw except the youngest (he tried but to no avail).

Maybe this is a little off subject but I find it interesting that most people here make puppets and perform them. I've tried making puppets but have failed in this (every puppet I make is hideous...especially when I get to the mouth plate). I love performing however.
    Now since we've been talking about being good artist, I can see how have a strong foundation in cartooning (or other types of drawing) could be very helpful in designing puppets. I used to love to draw ( and sculpt for that matter) and it was actually in a sculpting class I was teaching that I was led to puppetry (someone suggested I offer a puppet making class which was a disaster...but I did learn how to sew). I would bet that most people who can make puppets have a foundation in drawing, but I can garuantee that everyone who can draw cannot make puppets.
    Sorry if I want off on a complete tangent here.

16. RockerRob

RockerRob New Member

I sure hope I can draw since I am an industrial designer and I do mainly hand drawing. Building puppets is a new thing since I took a class in college, but puppeteering is not new because I have been doing that since I was 3, and refining my skills became important to me for some reason in Jr. High. I like to draw and make and perform puppets, but the drawing thing is what makes the money. I have fun doing both... most of the time.

17. ploobis

ploobis Well-Known Member

Jim Henson was a great artist. How do ya think he came up with The Muppets?

:)

18. Tztz

Tztz Member

I actually started with animation. I've been an animator and animation director for few years until I couldn't take it any more. Building puppets was always my dream and I decided to go all the way with it.
    Today I am, luckily, not involved in any animation project but I use my drawing skills whenever I'm designing a puppet character. For me, designing a puppet is like drawing, but in a new exciting way.

19. wickedpuppets

wickedpuppets New Member

I would have to fancy myself as a 'good puppeteer' :crazy: but for the life of me I cannot draw to save my life.

I am however a graphic designer and CGI artist lol, but STILL can NOT draw on a piece of paper lol.

as for my designs and CGI work, I've done sites and graphics for Nissian, Holiday Inn, Bike Shows, Big Concerts, Cities, etc etc but NOPE just can't seem to draw :boo:

-Loki-

20. CoOKiE

CoOKiE Member

Almost like Danny, i've ALWAYS loved the two... Cartooning and Puppetry. Growing up i think i was leaning more towards cartooning... then i got into theatre and then voice acting... and using all those.. i have control of the "cartoon" which is a character... and i voice them as well... Which each drawing theres a personality, along with puppets.

BUT as opposite from Jinx... i'm the one in my family with talent. Not saying no one else can't do anything.. but as for art... entertainment art, visual art... thats not them... thats all me