Are toy bubble pipes politically correct?

Censored

Reaction score
On a related note, they took away Mr. Potato Head's pipe in the 80's because they thought it encouraged smoking.

In the Popeye television cartoons from the 80's, aside from being forbidden to punch people anymore, Popeye had to make a point of saying that he only used his pipe to toot with, not smoke.

I don't know how often they sell bubble pipes in the stores these days, but I remember a fairly recent Sesame Street skit where Ernie smoked a bubble pipe.

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I think with all the bad things in the world these days its really stupid to worry about petty little things like kids with a bubble pipe! even fake cigarettes shouldnt be a problem. I used to love fake cigarettes, and candy cigarettes, but thats never encouraged me to smoke, I hate smoking never would smoke and never have!

salemfan

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
On a related note, they took away Mr. Potato Head's pipe in the 80's because they thought it encouraged smoking.

I don't know how often they sell bubble pipes in the stores these days, but I remember a fairly recent Sesame Street skit where Ernie smoked a bubble pipe.
What year was that Sesame Street skit from?

By the way, they actually took away Mr. Potato Head's pipe to make him used to promote the Great American Smokeout.

Censored

Reaction score
teenintosesame said:
What year was that Sesame Street skit from?

By the way, they actually took away Mr. Potato Head's pipe to make him used to promote the Great American Smokeout.
I believe it was some time in the late eighties. I seem to remember it being Ernie's original Henson voice. I guess the skit wasn't really that recent then, but that was certainly a time of awareness about the dangers of smoking. My memory is very fuzzy on this one, but I think Ernie was playing in an Old King Cole skit.

Yes, Mr. Potato Head lost his pipe for the Great American Smokeout, but he never got it back. Even when they made the commemorative version with his original look, his pipe was conspicuously absent.

Ziffel

Reaction score
GeeBee said:

I remember you had posted this, GeeBee, and I saw this article now about Mr. Potato Head getting another health makeover so I thought I'd post it here in case you haven't seen this. The article also refers to the 1987 dismissal of his pipe that you mentioned. :smile:

F

furryredmonster

No, fake tattoos are not. They are fun! I remember when I first got my first fake tatoo when I was little. I thought it would hurt lol

salemfan

Reaction score
With the introduction of temporary tattoos, I think those should have upstaged and dismissed permanent tattoos. Temporary tattoos are better because they are easy to remove if you later decide you don't want them.