1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Arm Rods

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Fozzie Bear, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Ryan

Ryan New Member

If I remember correctly,they are called Welder's Sticks. They are a very good thickness and won't bend unless you want them too. It also isn't entirley necessary to paint them black. If they are silver, they aren't very noticeable.
  2. sarah_yzma

sarah_yzma Active Member

i *think* i've heard of those....

Sarah
  3. Ryan's on the right track with welder's rods. That's what I've been using and they are AWESOME. They already come straight as an arrow and they're the hardest things to bend (I usually use some HEAVY-DUTY pliers and/or a vice grip). They're found at Lowes Hardware. I'll copy down the entire tag in insane detail here for anyone interested:

"Steel Works" D13
    WELD STL -- RND (C.R.)
    1/8" -- 4 FT
    SKU# 69857 INV 225865

...And here's the bar code, as if it will help:

0 40395 50402 8

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

THANKS! Super information, man!!
  5. puppets_etc

puppets_etc Member

Every little bit helps, thanks! I have a Lowes right down the street from work, and I needed to pick up some florescent yellow spray paint for my art project anyway (moon puppet:D), so I'll look for that too.

Deb:flirt:
  6. Fozzie Bear

Talking about puppet projects: I canNOT wait to finish my Mahna Mahna puppet!! I need orange and emerald green long-pile shag fur--BAD!!! Need half a yard of orange and a full yard emerald green, because if it turns out good, I'm going to make ONE MORE and ebay it maybe.

This info on arm rods will come in SUPER "Handy!!" HAA!!:o
  7. I COMPLETELY sympathize with you, Foz. I absolutely hate it when fabric stores stop stocking the fur you only need two feet more of! I had to finish a grandma puppet I made with felt because they stopped dying fleece the same color; and I'm in the middle of re-making one of my puppets that uses really common fur that they ALWAYS used to carry until now when I need it most.

Where does all that fur go? Who could possibly need it more than I do?

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  8. Fozzie Bear

Evil Fur Demons.
  9. Is there an exorcist in the house?!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  10. Fozzie Bear

Will you accept a Bear on Patrol?
  11. Sure! And there's $500 for you in it up front; $500 dollars is just the beginning -- you could be earning this much every year .

I'll also accept bears in frog suits. :)

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  12. Fozzie Bear

What about bears in bunny suits? I still have my Easter outfit here. How much can I make with that, then?
  13. A bear in a bunny costume?! That's sure to scare off fur demons... make it $550.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf
  14. vaderdentist

vaderdentist Member

Here is how I solved the arm-rod issue for my puppets:

choose your wire first..........according to professional puppet makers I have talked with, Henson's folks actually use or have used welding rods................wooden dowels are drilled and epoxied onto the handle end.................

I use little wooden wheels from craft shops..............I drill a small hole for each finger on the outside of the wheel............I drill another hole that will be positioned near the bottom edge of the palm. This hole will house the welding rod. I epoxy bendable wire for each finger and the whole shebang gets some thin foam gloves(assembled with glue). Next the foam hands are covered with their respective fleece gloves. Then you can take some styrene tubing and glue from the outer edge of the fleeced palm into the hole you drilled. The styrene tube will of course have to be the same diameter as the welding rod.........so the hole for the styrene tube has to be bigger!

lastly when the tube is exposed, cut it flush with the fleece and
    sew around the tube until it is sturdy.

voila!!!

Dave
  15. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

HUH Dave? I wanted to bring this back to the top by responding in hopes that Terry Angus or someone who worked with JHC could spill a couple secrets?

Terry, oh Terry.... where art thou? :concern:
  16. fishbone

fishbone Member

;) one way street,has nice rods,axtell does too,
  17. Fozzie Bear

Here's what I've opted to do:

The hands were sewn from material first, I carved from 1" foam a hand to place in the material, and then I split that down the middle and applied floral wiring (as is used in bouquets) throughout the hand, but also in the middle I took a loop-ended wire (shaped like a "P") and put the loop in the palm, then glued the hand back together and put it in the 'material hand.'

The base of the wire will be glued into dowel rod, all of which will then be covered in black eletrical tape, and it will work great.
  18. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

I'm still in search of a professional looking rod method which can also be removed. I know that there is some debate as to the "Rubberband method" but I wanted to share this diagram that I found on the web for anyone who might find it useful.

http://www.bright.net/~jonadab/puppets/trbands.gif
  19. Puppetplanet

Puppetplanet Member

I've created a new way to make arm rods that are removeable for photos, traveling, and such. It actually uses in part methods shown on the Foam book videos, and the hands that Buck Beaver showed me how to make on his site. (the fingers bend and there are two layers of foam instead of one.) I've added a bit more work to the rod steps shown in the foam book, but that was because I found some flaws with that method.

I'm going to be taking photos with the next puppet hands/rods that I make, so e-mail me if anyone wants this set of Picture diagrams sent. puppetplanet@aol.com

-Michele

PS: I've found that puppets are always a working progress. The style I make today is nothing compared to the poly filled ones I made only two years ago! =) (For the best I hope!) :flirt:
  20. fishbone

fishbone Member

no way...that's impossible,i wish i had that for my nerf hedz(hmmm.. i like that name,)i gotta use pilow cases,but the rods still stick out, :grouchy: