Article On Disney Animation: Is It Fading?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The closing scenes of the Mermaid bit. But the rest was grade A. Just looked like they slapped the ending on it.

I just don't care for the anime style. Oversized eyes, purple spikey hair and pencil thin figures don't do much for me unless I'm clubbing. Just don't like the japanamation style of drawing. It visually feels more about the lines than the form and I can't appreciate that. And it all looks so similar. Don't find it interesting. If Spirited is filled with that kind of stuff I shouldn't watch it.

Also, if it is short of being 24-frame animation I should probably skip it too. I don't take most animated films seriously unless they are a fluid 24. I consider that as a TV cartoon masquerading as motion picture animation.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4

Also, if it is short of being 24-frame animation I should probably skip it too. I don't take most animated films seriously unless they are a fluid 24. I consider that as a TV cartoon masquerading as motion picture animation.
eesh, what the heck kind of anime have ya been exposed to?
Sorry if crappy anime has ruined the good stuff for ya. I guess itd
be like if all someone knew of the Muppets was Andy and Randy Nick Jr. shorts and Elmo.

I take it youve been exposed to the really lame stuff out there, which indeed has pretty retarded animation. If all I knew of anime was the pokemon variety, Lupin III, Starblazers, and Speed Racer I doubt I'd be a fan at all too.

I think if you dont like awe inspiring imaginative and creative films then you should definately avoid Spirited Away.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm skeptical but I will check it out. I'm pretty open minded, but I have seen many anime films people have told me are different and I just couldn't make it past about 10 minutes. Just crap to me. Can't remember the names of all the films, but I am trying to forget some of the images that came from a repressed mind with noting substantial to say but “Hey look at me - I'm void of any personality, sleazy and am trying so hard to be cool and shock you, but forget about a logical story." LOL! Sums up my experiences. :wink: But I wasn't talking Pokemon. That's in an unfortunate world of its own.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm skeptical but I will check it out. I'm pretty open minded, but I have seen many anime films people have told me are different and I just couldn't make it past about 10 minutes. Just crap to me. Can't remember the names of all the films, but I am trying to forget some of the images that came from a repressed mind with noting substantial to say but “Hey look at me - I'm void of any personality, sleazy and am trying so hard to be cool and shock you, but forget about a logical story." LOL! Sums up my experiences. :wink: But I wasn't talking Pokemon. That's in an unfortunate world of its own.
Heh, it's virtually like were chatting on AIM but with a 2 minute lag. Anyways, this is my last thought on this subject.
Obviously youre not change my mind about beauty and the beast or MCC and vice versa with anime. Sorry if people showed ya Wicked City or some hentai/badly animated sludge some think is cool anime. I have a pretty good idea of what ya werent shown though, heh. As for Lilo and Stitch, I didnt have any interest in seeing it, but it was so offbeat for a Disney film I cant complain.

Anyways, at least we can agree on the general direction of the Muppets. Goodness help us all when the gack hits the fan soon.

Gonzo

Reaction score
I just wanted to mention how much I enjoyed reading this conversation.

It makes me want to watch Beauty and the Beast (effete Euro-Trash) and Spirited Away (elitist Japanimation).

Ahhhh.

Nothing like it.

Quinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
You can't specifically hate Beauty and MCC or say anything substantial on the subject unless you see it. I am willing to see Spirited. I'll try watching even the crummiest film and I always find something good in it (if I can get through it). Just closed-minded to say some blanket statment. I just wanted to make sure that Spirited wasn't just more of the same.

Some folks liked Final Fantasy, but I found it to be a boring, overblown videogame. It did show great strides in animation, but that's about all I can say about it. Definite D- on my list. Just didn't communicate any emotion, personality or speak to me. That's a good example of a film that lacks the soul I like to see. It fell quickly at the box office and I don't blame people for staying away. I just don't get liking this film for any other reason than it's technical achievements. That's partly how I feel about anime (minus the technical achievements). LOL!

I have seen some japanamation and have been less than thrilled by it. May just be a cultural thing. I don't get it. But Spirited Away has sparked my interest. Not from what I have seen (it looks like the same old stuff) but from what I have heard.

BTW - I never said Spirited was elitist - I said the term "anime" was an elitist PR term for japanamation. Just wanted to clear that up. :wink:

Being passionate about how crummy a specific project is and not being willing to see it doesn't make sense. Even I finally watched Titanic when it came to cable. Still hated it, but can't beat Kathy Bates as Molly Brown. I love Kathy Bates! :smile:

beaker

Reaction score
Aww, group hug! Jamie, it's ok...you dont like anime just like dont like Cartoon Network Hanna Barbara style animation. We all got different animation preferences.

I thought Final Fantasy was nothing less than astonishing...I put it up there with Monsters Inc, Monsters Ball, Mullholland Drive and Made as my top 5 of last year.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I will remain silent about Fantasy (except to iterate that it was a spectacular technical achievement.

Hanna Barbara-style animation has always sucked. You are very right. However, they do have a wonderful stock of characters. From Huckleberry Hound and Snagglepuss to Scooby Doo and the Flintstones. Great ideas, but terrible animation. That's a great idea for a project - to create better animated movies with these characters. I'm sure that would be appreciated, but it's all about cheapquels and money with them. Too bad. There's really a wealth of material there. Another reason why AOL/Time Warner may not suit the Muppets.

beaker

Reaction score
I will remain silent about Fantasy (except to iterate that it was a spectacular technical achievement.

Hanna Barbara-style animation has always sucked. You are very right. However, they do have a wonderful stock of characters.
Well Jamie, I have to give you mad props and respect on your opinions even if i disagree on what youre saying...you actually went to school for the medium.

Ok, so elitist japanimation and effette euro-centric revisionist cartoons aside...when the heck are we gonna see your crossbreed flash comic?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Gee, thanx. (Blushes)

The Crossbreed will get off the ground when I get some time for myself. These menus and my internship work have eaten up my time. There's still a lot more to do with MC.

Part one has been storyboarded, but I'm bringing in another writer. I'm now waiting on her schedule. There's too much introduction as it is now. Beginnings are always tough. You have to set things up and give an impression of the rest of the series. I am also weighing the options on how PG13 I want to make it. Many of the characters aren't as cuddly as they appear. There is quite an epic cast with subplots I am flushing out. I hope to launch this spring. There is a thumbnail of the site on jamesvier.com and the graphic has been swapped-out with a Flash intro.

So to answer your question...coming soon. :smile: