Ask Ken at Palisades

MuppetQuilter

Reaction score
Imagine how disapointed the scalpers will be when they figure out Ken works for a very cool toy company....

Thanks, Ken!

(Uh, the while supplies last-- should we start a que now? Everyone line up behind me!)

Janice with a sun lamp-- yes, definitely yes. I think it may be too late for regular Janice, but perhaps an exclusive..... (I'm a little afraid of where this thread might go if I were to suggest Janice in a bikini top with a sun lamp)

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by MuppetQuilter
Imagine how disapointed the scalpers will be when they figure out Ken works for a very cool toy company....
The scalpers will be nowheres near as mad as the people who are paying the big money for these. They will be (to qoute Ken) Expletive Deleted.

uncleduke

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
I like that avatar!
Thanks, we finally got the Snappy software on the new laptop installed, so we went through the DVDs looking for a good shot. We were torn between a cowboy and Mulch.
The cowboy seemed more Arizona-ish.

Long Story short it took some time, glad you like it.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
uncleduke
The scalpers will be nowheres near as mad as the people who are paying the big money for these. They will be (to qoute Ken) Explative Deleted

I can't do anything about that. If there is one thing I have learned from this board and others, you can't please everybody. I stopped trying long ago. People may be miffed, but what can you do? I don't feel bad at all about the way things have gone down with the exclusives or anything else. Overall it's been handled very well. Industry give aways are industry giveaways. In my opinion, they are not part of a line. Neither are errors.

Many have stated opinions that there are too many exclusives. Are there really? Maybe. Who can say? Does it matter? Those of you who bought the regular line-up, are you happy with your figures? Do you feel you got ripped off by the man because there are figures out there you did not get or had to pay a little more for? Would you like the exclusives to be dropped entirely from the line? A personally like the VC Beaker in my collection...looks cool. And I guarantee you there was no other way to put him out than as an exclusive. We put that out in the playset and people would be like...HUH? What is this thing? Where's my real Beaker?

You know, we made the EB Piggy available at mass market in a fat quantity. Not a fat FIGURE, but a fat quantity! LOL...and you know what? You can still EASILY walk in and get that one, and the bottom line is that they won't sell out and more likely than not it means that EB will want to talk to us about doing clearance money on it or something. Same with TRU/ToyFare Kermit...still plenty to be had. You offer a lower number and sell them all out, you suck because you are screwing the collector/completist. You offer too many so that everyone has a slightly easier time of it? You eat "buy back", make no money on the figure and go home trying to figure out why a really cool figure in your biggest selling line is losing money.

So was it smart to limit VC Beaker or the upcoming Fozzie? You better believe it. Both Kermit in a lunchbox and the Invisible Beaker are not part of the line...they are so much so NOT, again in my opinion, that they are not in the group shot on the back of the package I was talking about earlier. It's like the silver Vader...not part of the line, very small number. You don't see the silver Vader on the back of the Saga cards.

If you, the end consumer, as a whole, tells us to stop making exclusives, we'll know. When they stop selling. You speak with your wallets....every time. Do you want the exlcusives to cease? Let us know and we'll just take the financial risk of putting out four figures in a wave and leave it at that.

The only thing I will ever say we made a real mistake on is Dr. Teeth, and that was due to the fact that NO figure had been sold yet and we came back with 300 of the 500 exclusives we sold at the show the year before...500 seemed like a safe bet, and boom, suddenly you have everybody and Grandma coming out of the closet to get one. So we responded with a collector's club, and that's that. Other adjustments have been made, like not putting out Vacation Fozzie or CH Gonzo until the line has been out for a few weeks on Series 2. I will never, ever, apologize for the give aways. Not only do all companies do it, but all INDUSTRIES do it too. If you have a party for people in your industry that talk about figures on their website or magazine, or buy figures from you wholesale...wouldn't you WANT to give them someting special to walk away from the party with? Have you seen some of the cool stuff that critics get when they go to a premiere? Heck, they probably give out golden toilets at the local Roto Rooter convention. Keep your customers happy. That's good business. That includes you, and that includes the customers that get those figures TO you or talk about them or show you the figures early or review the figures so you know what to buy and what not to buy.

Heck people even suggest that the whole club thing is a scam...that we planned it all along and that we are like drug dealers. We get you hooked in and then start fleecing the masses for every nickel you got. And here I was thinking we had just listened to the consumer and responded to their needs! Silly Rabbit...Trix are for kids...

I'm rambling. I guess what I should conclude with is yeah, some will be cheesed if suddenly we start offering the Invisible Beaker or something like that to folks as a thank you for joining a new collector's club venture. Way it goes I guess...to me at the end of the day, the issue is and will always be are you happy with collecting the line? If you are, great, I can punch out, go home and know that we did our jobs. If not, I'll know when the Muppets line is dead and gone like all the other action figure lines that offer exclusives or repaints. Oh, they're still here you say? Well THAT'S good news...

Blinky

Reaction score
You know if I was a member of a collectors club I would really be interested in buying a hypothetical Invisible Beaker.

Wait a minute I am (or soon will be) a member of a collector's club.

Just tell me how to send more money to you and I will gladly do it
:big_grin:

uncleduke

Reaction score
Ken,

I was not trying to set you off, just making a comment about the mentality of the collector/completist.
Personally, whenever I decide to buy a figure on the secondary market, it is MY descision, no one elses.
Caviat Emptor
For example, there was a VC Beaker in the error packaging on ebay a couple of days ago, with a $35 Buy it Now....
I bought it!
Now if you announce tomorrow that 1000 of these will be at the club, I will not complain, because I made a decision to buy the one I did. I determined it was worth that amount of money, so I did it.

It is funny that you made the comparisson to the drug dealers, that has come about around my home in the past. Friends used to call at 1AM, to see if I wanted to go to WalMart and look for toys.
Haven't been able to do that for a while.
:frown:

I am glad you are making the figs available at the club. Personally I don't think there will be too much fall out, since the dopes spending $150 for the clear Beaker don't know about it (the club).

However frustrated you get, we are all behind you, so don't let them get you down.
Some people just like to complain.
There is another thread on this board where the member talks about how all the exclusives are killing the line.
He also had another similair thread where he was complaining that the same behavior killed Jakks Pacific (that must be why their stock tripled last year!

Keep it up, we all appreciate it.
When you walk into Muppetfest, you are gonna get the standing ovation of a lifetime, I promise you there will be 8 Hammerslag hands making as much noise as possible!

Jackie

Reaction score
Since we have Invisible Fozzie coming, I think we need a Piggy "oooh ooh I have to pee" Exclusive from MFS. :wink:

Joggy

Reaction score
Wouldn't "Ooh ooh I have to pee" Piggy exclusive look better next to a "I have to use the little bears room" Fozzie?

Shooter Johnson

Reaction score
Ken, if you can pull off collector's club access to Invisible Beaker, you are my new god!!! (Even if you can't, you really are ranking up there in the heights of deity).

As for exclusives, I buy them because the figures are so cool, and if this is the only way to get them, I say bring em on!!