Ask Ken at Palisades

Gonzo

Reaction score
Luke,

I think a lot of the pull for Koozebane is for the Reporter Kermit figure, who's an icon by himself and would be the real selling point of the set. I honestly think more "mainstream" people (IE non-freaky fans who would never frequent a Muppet website, much less two or three) would go for Reporter Kermit before they'd go for Janice and the Bus, Swedish Chef, or even Pigs in Space Piggy.

However, that said, I concur that maybe Koozebane is an obscure (albeit cool) way to get the Reporter Kermit out there, especially now that the Movie Licenses have been freed up and they could do something from TGMC with him in his reporter duds.

I still like the idea, I think it's a strong playset--just more obscure than anything else they would have done up to that point.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

Luke

Reaction score
I'm not totally against the idea as a Muppet fan but looking at it from a wider perspective i just don't think it'll sell well and is way too obscure seeing as they can now do so much more with that movie license. Especially with something as retro as the Muppets where you haven't got a massive committed fanbase as large as the Simpsons things need to have the 'wow factor' like the Chef's kitchen did and be instantly recognisable and more stronger and exciting each wave to ensure the longetivity.

Quinn - i hope you are right that Reporter Kermit will sell lots of these sets. It does seem to be the main reason fans want the Koozebane to be made although i agree with you totally that maybe Reporter Kermit could now come with something from 'The Great Muppet Caper'. It doesn't seem like Koozebane is a neccesity anymore and so maybe Palisades should not still be thinking of putting out an obscure playset that would be less popular than some others just to get the Kermit figure out on the market. I think a wide range of people will want him as figure (for the reasons you said) but i'm not sure even he will be a big enough draw to sell a playset that most people won't have heard off and probably wouldn't buy otherwise.

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Well, problem is that we are too deep into it, as far as development, and so we have to put it out. I personally think by the time Series 6 comes out the point of fan or non-fan of the Muppets becomes moot. If we haven't gotten the non-fans on board by then I wouldn't expect the line to keep going. So, with that in mind, a playset with funky aliens, an alien landscape and a Kermit that will be instantly recognizable by non-fans and desired by hardcores will be the way to go for Christmas 2003. Look at th Simpson' as somewhat of a guide or comparison...it's success was determined not just by fans of the show. It was determined by fans of action figures too, who may have been on the fence with the show, or who watched some of the time. That audience will be a key factor in any lines success, regardless of the pre-existing fanbase.

You will also have the SwineTrek characters out by then and they can interact, especially the SpaceWalk Link exclusive that will come out at the same time as the Koozebane set.

Not saying I don't see the points you are making, but it's going to be Koozebane, sink or swim. We just have to make sure it swims.

the Mad Moose

Reaction score

Not saying I don't see the points you are making, but it's going to be Koozebane, sink or swim. We just have to make sure it swims. [/B]

It'd be nice to see it swim up next to the Hispaniola!!

dhillman

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
You will also have the SwineTrek characters out by then and they can interact, especially the SpaceWalk Link exclusive that will come out at the same time as the Koozebane set.
Did I miss something being described here? I wasn't aware that there was a SpaceWalk Link going to be made exclusive...

Any more information on this?

D

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
You didn't miss anything. It hasn't really been announced yet. But one of the exclusive variants next year will be a radically repainyed Link with a helmet and jet pack thingamajig that he can go exterior with...

dhillman

Reaction score
Thanks, Ken! This incredible line is going to suck all the possible marrow from my checkbook, but it is SOOOOO worth it!

D

ResidentLilly

Reaction score
Just remember that at this stage it is just a concept...we are a long way off from that. A little CYA never hurts...

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by ResidentLilly
You didn't miss anything. It hasn't really been announced yet. But one of the exclusive variants next year will be a radically repainyed Link with a helmet and jet pack thingamajig that he can go exterior with...
Now that does sound totally fantastic !