Ask the fuzzy old coot something while he's still awake

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
How were you diagnosed with diabetes?

Did you eat a lot of sugar back in the day?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
How were you diagnosed with diabetes?

Did you eat a lot of sugar back in the day?
No, part of it is hereditary. I had an aunt that had it first. For seven years before me, I saw her checking her blood sugar (pricking for fingers five times a day), injecting insulin (not in your arm, in your stomach. Cringing yet?), drinking diet soda, and I thought, "How can anybody live like this?"
Little did I know that would be my fate someday. I still have a sweet tooth, but because of her I backed off. Not knowing my fate.
June 1989. On college break, just turned 21, one day I felt incredibly tired like never before. Then I got extremely thirsty, so I drank a lot of water or Gatorade. Then I had to pee. After being done in the bathroom, I was thirsty again.. This began a vicious cycle of dehydration. I lost 30 pounds (I was only 140 at the time) in less than a week. I was so dehydrated my mouth almost stuck shut. I was getting weaker. Finally I got nauseous and threw up, I had to see the doctor. I drove home to my mom's house, and she took me to the Urgent Clinic. I felt so awful, and apart from a cold, I was never sick before. I had no idea what was happening to my body.

The doctor gave me the diagnosis. Diabetic ketoacidosis. Normal blood sugar readings are between 70 and 120. I was over 1,000.
I should've died. I would've if I came in a day later.
First time I beat the Grim Reaper. Not the last, either.

Spent two weeks in Intensive Care, getting my life back. So from the age of 21, I learned, if I don't take care of myself, I'll die. It was that simple.

Diabetes has lots of complications. It weakens your immune system, lowers your resistance to colds, makes you prone to infections. Heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney disease, amputations, fun crap like that.
July 5 will be 29 years. Every day I'm still here is a blessing.
This was a year before Jim died. I learned back then how valuable time is. How easy life can end. If you waste your time or your life, you're a dang fool.

Blue Frackle

Reaction score
This page has been so surreal to read; all the times you said "I should be dead now". Must give you a completely different mindset on life now.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
This page has been so surreal to read; all the times you said "I should be dead now". Must give you a completely different mindset on life now.
It has since I was 21. Life is brief. Life is fragile. Life is precious. Don't you dare waste it.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Favorite Muppets besides Gobo?
Hard to narrow down, so I'll try to limit it to four:

Pre-Sesame: Three-headed rock monster (Ed Sullivan Show, Sept. 1966)

Sesame: Roosevelt Franklin
Muppet Show/Movies/ABC series: Swedish Chef

Other: Riverbottom Nightmare Band (Emmett Otter)

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Rise and shine, gramp's! :stick_out_tongue:

In your college day when you did weed, were there any shows or movies you liked watching under the influence? Also, what did you like eating when you had the munchies?

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Rise and shine, gramp's! :stick_out_tongue:

In your college day when you did weed, were there any shows or movies you liked watching under the influence? Also, what did you like eating when you had the munchies?
Once we made hash brownies and called Duncan Hines customer service number. Asked the lady what she recommended: Acapulco Gold or homegrown. The silence on the other end of the phone was priceless.
As far as munchies went, we never really ate sugary stuff. No Oreos or Twinkies or that stuff. But we'd order in a lot of pizza, Chinese, BBQ ribs, that deal. Washed down with a lot of beer.
Shows? One time we were watching the news stoned. Big disaster, 200 people killed in a plane crash. We'd be on the floor laughing.
We might put on some concert movie (Monterey Pop, Woodstock, etc), but more often than not, we put on music and sit and listen with the lights out. Lot of Floyd, Grateful Dead, the usual suspects. And jazz. Miles Davis "In A Silent Way" was my favorite.

How I still managed to function and make the Dean's List is beyond me.