Ask Travis: A Master Replicas Photo Puppet Q&A Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignohippo

Reaction score
Man Travis, it is absolutely awesome that you are taking the time to come on here and answer questions! Thanks in advance for stepping up to the plate and taking time out of your busy schedule. Hopefully, you'll be rewarded by many more sales of Muppet-ty goodness!

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
Blinky_Fish said:
Dear Travis or the MIA buddy that dissapears of the face of the earth ...blah, blah (see rash of crap).. And I was in SFO for MacWorld.
Sorry man, I know. When you called, I was in the hospital withe my new baby. Timing sucked. I will call or e-mail you this week! (Or next...)

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
His upper lip (or under his nose) seems to look longer than it should be. Did they look into that? Cause if you see Frogboy's comparison, it is shorter on Terry's prototype than the factory prototype. was that something looked into? :concern:

I sent Amy a PM last year at MR and gave her an idea. I asked her if it was possible to pass it on - if we can do a SE version of Fozzie. Since there is no more Star Wars and not much for Signature editions, it would be nice to have one for Frank Oz. She said that she would pass it on the the production team. I wanted to ask you what you thought of the idea. Kind of make it a 500 limited edition? I would love to see Frank Oz's signature plaque next to my Fozzie!

also, about what month will Fozzie go on preorder? I am so ready for him! :embarrassed:

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
I guess a new line of questioning for Mr. Ken Lilly.....

Travis,

Is there any reason that Terry would not be shipped overseas along with the final prototype to help the production plant with issues like alternatives to alien crooked noses? Leaving his production Bible for problems remaining after production begins. As I can plainly see there are certain angles and facial attributes being left out that just MAKE a muppet the character they are. Mr. Terry would be that man to pinpoint these, and say this is why it cannot be done like that. Especially with a new plant being used and Fozzie being such a big character for their first.

Quickies: Any reason for not having the satin liner in shipping anymore? (It was a classy touch)

On future releases; When you mention say Statler & Waldorf (Fall 2009) do you mean the pair packaged as one set? That's a long way off but I was just curious.

Also I think you might want to re-iterate that the list you posted was "blue sky" and not written in any kind of stone. It may be taken as bible otherwize, even with the disclaimer! LOL

Kevin

So how many hour did you get to sleep today? You must love your lunch break!

Kermieuk

Reaction score
I sent Amy a PM last year at MR and gave her an idea. I asked her if it was possible to pass it on - if we can do a SE version of Fozzie. Since there is no more Star Wars and not much for Signature editions, it would be nice to have one for Frank Oz. She said that she would pass it on the the production team. I wanted to ask you what you thought of the idea. Kind of make it a 500 limited edition? I would love to see Frank Oz's signature plaque next to my Fozzie!
Hi,

I was speaking to an autograph dealer at a Toy Fair here in the UK. He told me that Frank Oz will not sign anything that has anything to do with The Muppets. Yoda yes, but nothing at all to do with the Muppets, he told me he had witnessed it, someone had a photo of Piggy and he refused to sign it! Dont know how true this is just passing on what I heard. If this is true, I doubt he would sign Fozzie Bear Replicas, nice idea though, maybe one of the other performers would do it?

Also, quick thanks to Travis for the updates, it really is appreciated, I already have Gonzo on pre-order and cant wait to get him.

Chris

ElecMayhem

Reaction score
His upper lip (or under his nose) seems to look longer than it should be. Did they look into that? Cause if you see Frogboy's comparison, it is shorter on Terry's prototype than the factory prototype. was that something looked into? :concern:
Again, I don't have the original here, and the photos are so drastically different that it's hard to tell. Remember -- Gonzo is one of those characters that has undergone so many changes over the years. Like the Palisades action figure, the Photo Puppet was always intended to be something of an amalgamation of all of the best parts... On the one sitting here, the lip does not look out of place to me.

Amy and I never discussed, but this is something I am working on. Great mindes think alike! :smile: But it's along shot. Frank was one of the few people who did NOT sign a Star Wars prop. (We got Harrison Ford for goodness sake!) And I don't think the omission of Frank was from lack of trying (although that was before my time with the company, so I am not certain!) But it would be cool though.

also, about what month will Fozzie go on preorder? I am so ready for him! :embarrassed:
Not sure don't want to mis-speak, at this early stage in the game.

blinky_fish said:
Next - Any progress on props and costumes?
No.

blinky_fish said:
Does MR have a hospital for Muppets like the Vermont Teddy Bear factory?
No.

kevin knight said:
Is there any reason that Terry would not be shipped overseas along with the final prototype to help the production plant with issues like alternatives to alien crooked noses? Leaving his production Bible for problems remaining after production begins. As I can plainly see there are certain angles and facial attributes being left out that just MAKE a muppet the character they are. Mr. Terry would be that man to pinpoint these, and say this is why it cannot be done like that. Especially with a new plant being used and Fozzie being such a big character for their first.
well, lots of reasons. (1) Terry does not work for this company, and therefore, we can't just ship him off to China away from his family... And (2)We have engineers in China who handle this kind of stuff. None of the prototypers who do any of our products go to China, and I doubt that will change. Besides, Terry hand-making a Photo Puppet is DRASTICALLY different that the factory mass producing them. He probably would not be able to have much of an impact, honestly.

kevin knight said:
Quickies: Any reason for not having the satin liner in shipping anymore? (It was a classy touch)
Agreed, it was nice... but when costs skyrocket, those extras are the first thing to go.

kevin knight said:
On future releases; When you mention say Statler & Waldorf (Fall 2009) do you mean the pair packaged as one set? That's a long way off but I was just curious.
That was my plan. Anyone got $1000 for a couple of old hecklers?

Kevin Knight

Reaction score
Travis,

Will the proposed larger replicas also come with the stands? With weight concerns I had mentioned in assumption that's gonna be some heavy duty metal and a huge base.

Other than online, where is the next largest marketing campaign aimed at?

What guidlines has Disney made so far and for the future, or is it a case by case scenario?

off topic
BTW , how old is the baby now? As a "parent" I can tell you starting at age 1 1/2 - 2 look into the "Signing Times" DVD's. They will help with alot of fundamentals for children including temperment. Plus you may get a kick out of learning ASL too. I barely made it through the alphabet.

Would love to see a pic of your muppet collection as well. Not just these products. You are truly an invaluable asset to this community of collectors, and I hope that you realize that. Thank you for this Q&A opportunity.

Kevin

antonydavanzo

Reaction score
Hey Travis. Thanks for answering our questions. I would like to know how hard a challenge Gonzo was to make and if you think he is 90-100 % accurate? Would there have ben any changes you would have made ie the sock nose or the suit colour? Anyway I cant wait to see a pic, hopfully you may suprise us...
PS After seeing the list below I nearly died! WOW, that would be an amzing collection to own.......though a bloody expensive one at that! You gotta champion this dream list through!
Fozzie (Spring 2008)
Rizzo (Summer 2008)
Rowlf (Fall 2008)
Bunsen & Beaker (Spring 2009)
Statler & Waldorf (Fall 2009)
Sam the Eagle (Spring 2010)
Swedish Chef (Summer 2010)
Miss Piggy (Fall 2010)
Cheers
Ant

Luke

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, this is all very appreciated.

- There was a lot of debate over whether Animal was supposed to come with collar and whether he should have had a mouth that closed (as it just looks technically wrong on the product - he has a mouth hinge but the tongues too big), and the sales info really seems to infer this was the case. So it may be a given, but just to confirm - Fozzie definitely comes with the neckerchief and the hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.