Attacks and Anger

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I've noticed lately a lot of personal attacks taking place on here, I don't believe I need to name any names. I find it unfortunate and sad that some people are feeling the need to voice negative comments about each other constantly. This is supposed to be a place of friendship and a celebration of Jim Henson's legacy and work, not a place for personal attacks or anger. Think about this for a moment, do you think that Jim Henson would want to see this sort of treatment taking place between people here or anywhere for that matter? Yes, people feel anger and want to lash out, it's inevitable. However, that is why rational discussions exist, and we have pillows for punching. Certain things remain better unsaid, as they say. There is no justification for making fun of Joe Schmoe publicly simply because it makes someone feel superior to that person, which is what it really comes down to. It is a form of superiority and power. It really can be equated to the real life situation of the schoolyard bully. I think that people feel that because this is cyberspace it's different from real life in some way, but it isn't. If someone doesn't like someone here or has a disagreement with them, it should be private, not displayed on the forum. If someone doesn't like someone's posts for a certain reason, simply choose not to read them or respond. I just have hope that everyone here can learn to live in some kind of harmony with each other. I always look for the good in people and I've never quite understood anger. It especially makes me sad to see it employed in this way.

beaker

Reaction score
Well one could say it's because these days most of MC's population is the teenage folks, but even back in the day us 20 and 30 somethingers unfortunately had a go at eachother here and there. It's human nature, and unfortunate. But I agree, it's strange to be celebrating the work of JH yet acting unkind. I think the worst offenders oddly enough(and I mean anywhere online) are the older ones, whom should know better:smile:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Sorry everyone if one of these offenders is me.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Not really, you've only done it a few times and you have nicely redeemed yourself since. Also, I always have enjoyed reading your regular posts, Beau. Always I get a nice laugh from them.

beaker said:
I think the worst offenders oddly enough(and I mean anywhere online) are the older ones, whom should know better:smile:
Quite true.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Personal attacks suck. They cast Muppet fans into 3-year exiles...and who wants that, right? :big_grin:

Amazingly, the Muppet fan community really isn't as "in the spirit of Jim" as you'd think it would be. So many instances where people aren't willing to share material (I trade tapes), aren't willing to see the thinking of others...it really amazes me. A cut-throat community of disgruntled fans...Muppet fans. Really is a shame.

Like Cor said though, it is human nature. I know that I personally and very strongly opinionated, especially about the current course Muppet productions are on. It doesn't seem very bad now, but when I first brought up some issues on the subject (some 2 and a half years ago, I think), comments went a'flyin'. No one is wrong; its just how you feel about the subject. However, turning lively debate into personal confrontation is where the line is drawn, and that is a line in definite need of respect and consideration in all interactive activities, online or otherwise.

Had I had the convictions I now possess back then, I might've never left. :wink:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I used to think that I was a huge Muppet fan... I surprised myself when I found out that while I love the Muppets, I'm really a huge Jim fan. A little over three years ago something happened at this forum that made me so unbelievably angry that I left for over a year. I really don't want to go into details yet, but the event made me despise what the Muppets were becoming and despise the current fan base as well.
Happy to say when I came back, everyone seemed to be a little more understanding and respectful. Now maybe I was in the wrong a bit, heck, I guess I had to be because no argument is one sided... so if I have been one to offend, then I offer my apologies. I've learned to respect others opinions, and have patients with those who've yet to have respect for mine, and graciousness for those who have that respect already.
I have seen some posts in here that have been a bit... immature, one user in particularly comes rushing to mind although I've never had a direct run in with them personally, but all in all, this forum is definitely one of the more tame and respectful. The curse filter helps, the posts are intelligent and well thought out for the most part and even attempted proper spelling seems to be a good habit in place here too.
I've not seen any recent instances, but I admire your courage, respect for others and sense of unity that you have boldly brought to the table, FISH'N'WOLFE; and I will do my part as a family member of this great community we call home here at Muppet Central... even if I have the disadvantage in personality being from Jersey... we kill and eat the weak and disrespectful. :crazy:

King Jim

Reaction score
I remember in early December someone attcked me. I'm not going to say who. Because that person hasn't been here for a while. Then in January someone told people something that was not true about me. And they said it wasn't an attack. But I just Ignored it. Oh yeah and also someone told me that I couldn't go in the hot tubs anymore. But the tubs were shut down and then deleted. So I was happy. Actualy I was thrilled. But everyone else has been very nice to me ever since.

Beakerfan

Reaction score
You know, I think every one needs to remember that we are all entitled to our own opinion. We can try to prove a point, but we can't try to force people to believe what we believe. They need to decide for themselves.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Why can't we be friends?

I've stated in numerous threads/posts,I personally can't stand people at MC going after each other,no call for it.The only time I correct members(majority of the time),is in the game threads;usually do to the fact new posters don't read the rules before hand and just post how they think the game is played.I basically just type in my post how the game is played,in trying to help others out.Another example,in Muppet Association,I recently asked posters to simplify the words,because the words(every now and then)are a little hard(luckily I have dictionary.com to help me out).I get along(I believe),with most here at MC.Yes,I do believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion.I haven't seen any attacks/bashing at MC for a few months now,which is good.Unless,they are happening in threads that I don't go into.I hope,that everybody at MC,can get along for the most part at the forum & treat each other with kindness and respect.Thanks.:smile: *exiting post*

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
I used to think that I was a huge Muppet fan... I surprised myself when I found out that while I love the Muppets, I'm really a huge Jim fan. A little over three years ago something happened at this forum that made me so unbelievably angry that I left for over a year. I really don't want to go into details yet, but the event made me despise what the Muppets were becoming and despise the current fan base as well.
Happy to say when I came back, everyone seemed to be a little more understanding and respectful. Now maybe I was in the wrong a bit, heck, I guess I had to be because no argument is one sided... so if I have been one to offend, then I offer my apologies. I've learned to respect others opinions, and have patients with those who've yet to have respect for mine, and graciousness for those who have that respect already.
I have seen some posts in here that have been a bit... immature, one user in particularly comes rushing to mind although I've never had a direct run in with them personally, but all in all, this forum is definitely one of the more tame and respectful. The curse filter helps, the posts are intelligent and well thought out for the most part and even attempted proper spelling seems to be a good habit in place here too.
I've not seen any recent instances, but I admire your courage, respect for others and sense of unity that you have boldly brought to the table, FISH'N'WOLFE; and I will do my part as a family member of this great community we call home here at Muppet Central... even if I have the disadvantage in personality being from Jersey... we kill and eat the weak and disrespectful. :crazy:
may i ask why didn't you complain to Phillip or whoever else was in charge at the time?