Barkly appreciation thread

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
I know I'm relatively new here, and I thought I might like to try my hand at appreciation threads, if nobody minds. Barkly was a cute character if you ask me. I mean, yeah he doesn't speak but he still is better than Elmo! LOL
So,what do you guys think? :smile:

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Yeah Barkley was one of the charachters who was on the show a lot when I was growing up in the 80's and early 90's. For some reason I loved Barkley a lot even though he was just a dog, that didn't speak and didn't really have a personality. Barkley was seen with Big Bird most of the time during the 80's. I remember how much Oscar hated Barkley and how one time Barkley jumped right up and put his paws on Oscar's trashcan and started licking Oscar to the point where he wouldn't stop, driving Oscar crazy. Also I remember once a week there was a special Credit Sequence with Barkley and a Bunch of kids who were lost in the woods. It had the old Sesame Street music. Even though it was the exact same thing every week I always looked forward to it for some reason.

BEAR

Reaction score
How appropriate to have this thread. Barkley's birthday is tomorrow (September 3rd)!

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Happy early Birthday Barkley! He must be turning 27 years old tommorow, because his first appearance was in 1978. Wow, an old dog, but he still gets around. What a trooper!

anythingmuppet

Reaction score
BEAR said:
How appropriate to have this thread. Barkley's birthday is tomorrow (September 3rd)!
Wow, I never knew that and this was a total coincident! Cool! :big_grin:

Rosewood

Reaction score
"Your Knowledge amazes me!""

BEAR said:
If you wouldn't mind telling me, where do you find out all these facinating facts? I wouldn't mind expanding my knowledge where SS is concerned. I thought I was pretty good when it came to SS trivia, but if you and I ever played a game of "SS Trivial Persuit", you would beat me, hands down, no contest!

As for Barkley, I miss that huge mutt! Untill I joined this forum, I was never aware that he belonged to Linda, (or even that Linda has now left the show!
I'm almost afraid to discover the latest SS info. for fear of obtaining a broken heart!) I, also, love that ending clip that shows Barkley chasing, as well as being chased by, a bunch of kids. My favorite part of it is the special effects part that shows him run behind a tree and dissapear, then shows the kids run behind it and re-apear as they normally would. As the kids exit, stage right, Barkley then re-apears from behind the tree and exits, stage left! And the playing of the old, classic song durring all of this is like the candle on the cake! It's priceless! :smile:

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
I definitely remember Barkley being as much a part of Sesame Street as anyone else. I do recall that he was (may still be) in the opening and closing credits. I particularly thought some of his best performances was in "Big Bird in China" and "Big Bird in Japan". In fact, he was the only other Muppet with Big Bird in China or Japan. (Although some other characters showed up before they left for China) He was also one of only two Muppets (the other's Big Bird) to show up in the infamous 1978 special- "A Special Sesame Street Christmas" I'm pretty sure he was in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" too, for that matter.
Hmm, does anyone know if Barkley was in "Don't Eat the Pictures (Sesame Street at the Metropolitan Museum of Art)"? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I know Big Bird and Snuffy, along with some others were in it, and I'm thinking Barkley might have even been in there. Though it's sad to see Linda Bove leave the cast, I'm glad they're doing the "Lyman and Odie" thing and keeping Barkley on the show.
(Lyman was Odie's original owner in the Garfield strip. He suddenly left the strip after a year or two and Jon Arbuckle became Odie's new owner. For that matter, Hot Dog got passed down to Jughead from his original owner, Archie Andrews, but Archie obviously never left. :smile: )

BEAR

Reaction score
Rosewood said:
If you wouldn't mind telling me, where do you find out all these facinating facts? I wouldn't mind expanding my knowledge where SS is concerned. I thought I was pretty good when it came to SS trivia, but if you and I ever played a game of "SS Trivial Persuit", you would beat me, hands down, no contest!

As for Barkley, I miss that huge mutt! Untill I joined this forum, I was never aware that he belonged to Linda, (or even that Linda has now left the show!
I'm almost afraid to discover the latest SS info. for fear of obtaining a broken heart!) I, also, love that ending clip that shows Barkley chasing, as well as being chased by, a bunch of kids. My favorite part of it is the special effects part that shows him run behind a tree and dissapear, then shows the kids run behind it and re-apear as they normally would. As the kids exit, stage right, Barkley then re-apears from behind the tree and exits, stage left! And the playing of the old, classic song durring all of this is like the candle on the cake! It's priceless! :smile:
Thanks, Rosewood. I dunno, I just find all those random little funfacts in different places. I used to have a Sesame Street calendar that had a bunch of character's birthdays written in the days. I also have the SS beanie babies which have funfacts about the characters on their tags. That is how I know the birthdays. Everything else is just from research, watching, and being a fan my whole life. I would like to someday work in children's television and have always wanted to be involved with Sesame Street.

If we had a trivia contest there would be some competition with each other. You probably remember a lot about the beginning years as you are a bit older than me, but then again there are so many others on the forums with equal, if not more, knowledge than both of us put together. I'm just a true devoted fan for 24 years, and I plan to be one for 24 more. :smile:

BEAR

Reaction score
GonzoLeaper said:
I definitely remember Barkley being as much a part of Sesame Street as anyone else. I do recall that he was (may still be) in the opening and closing credits. I particularly thought some of his best performances was in "Big Bird in China" and "Big Bird in Japan". In fact, he was the only other Muppet with Big Bird in China or Japan. (Although some other characters showed up before they left for China) He was also one of only two Muppets (the other's Big Bird) to show up in the infamous 1978 special- "A Special Sesame Street Christmas" I'm pretty sure he was in "Christmas Eve on Sesame Street" too, for that matter.
)
Barkley did not appear in Christmas Eve on Sesame Street.

ceecee

Reaction score
Barkley is one awesome pooch! Does anyone know how he was performed and who performed him?