Barney the Dinosaur creator's son arrested for attempted murder

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
Less than two months after Sesame Street's Elmo was put in a harsh light, as a result of the Kevin Clash sex scandel, it looks like another beloved children's character will see similar treatment. This time, the character is especially close to my heart.

Patrick Leach, 27, was arrested for attempted murder. He shot his neighbour, Eric Shanks, 49, in the chest on Janurary 9.

Patrick is the son of Barney the Dinosaur creator, Sheryl Leach. And with this relation to a pop-culture icon, TMZ couldn't wait to dip their toes into the story... :rolleyes:

http://www.tmz.com/2013/01/17/barne...ttemped-murder-sheryl-leach-patrick-arrested/

Many news sources are coming out with this story, almost all of which note (many quite heavily) the relation of Patrick to Barney. In fact, many articles feature large stock images of Barney and his friends.

Of course, I must express empathy for Sheryl and her family. I can't even begin to imagine the sorrow they all must be going through as a result of this.

But as a life-long fan of Barney, my concern is of how this will affect the reputation of my big purple friend. Will we have to remind people that Barney isn't the shooter? Will this raise awareness of the declining brand, and possibly boost intrest?

What do you think?

charlietheowl

Reaction score
I don't think it will have much effect on the show and its brand because the shooter is only the child of the creator, not someone who had appeared on the show or currently works on it. The creator is someone who doesn't really have an image tightly associated with the show here.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It's really pushing the definition of a real "connection". If it was Sheryl Leach herself that committed the crime, then yeah, that'd be bad news for Barney but considering this is a relative rather than a person involved with the show, Barney is in a safe zone. But even then it's not like the franchise is particularly relevant in 2013. My local PBS station only airs it as very early morning filler these days, in the same time slot it's been in for years.

SonicHOG

Reaction score
Sheryl doesn't currently work on the Barney series (she left in 1999 to persue other interests, although she did work on Season 7 of the series), but her name is strongly attached to the franchise none the less. Patrick inspired the creation of the purple guy, both by his interest in dinosaurs (which changed the titular character's species from a teddy bear to a t-rex) and his interest in Wee Sing Together (a children's video that inspired Sheryl to create the Barney franchise in the first place), so it's natural to connect Patrick to his mother's beloved creation.

Ultimately, considering it's Barney's 25th Anniversary this year, it's a bit unfortunate to have it come to a rought start like this. =/

SuperGzilla12

Reaction score
It's really pushing the definition of a real "connection".
It really is.

What I really wanted to make note of was the sudden media spotlight on Barney (Which, of course, is VERY short-term) and whether it's a good thing or a bad thing for him.

It might also be worth noting that Patrick is credited as an author of the children's book Barney's Book of Hugs. (Sheryl wrote it with her son in 1996, so he was just a boy then - He's still got a Barney credit, nonetheless)

But even then it's not like the franchise is particularly relevant in 2013. My local PBS station only airs it as very early morning filler these days, in the same time slot it's been in for years.
This year is Barney's 25th anniversery, and there have been signs that HiT's going to promote it. One also needs to remember that the brand is still a big money-maker on home video. (Which would explain the bi-monthly new releases to DVD, Video-on Demand and digital download)

SonicHOG

Reaction score
OH GOD!! is this show still really on tv!!!??? :shifty:
In reruns, yes. It's still doing well across the globe too.

That said, I really hope this doesn't turn into a "Sesame vs. Barney" topic. I understand that the purple guy is a beserk button for some here due to the whole rivalry in the early 90's, but it's not really the time to go "My show is better than yours! nyeh nyeh nyeh...."

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
I understand that the purple guy is a beserk button for some here due to the whole rivalry in the early 90's, but it's not really the time to go "My show is better than yours! nyeh nyeh nyeh...."
Don't worry, all the Ryans I know here are good folk. And aren't that particular Ryan you think it is. :stick_out_tongue: