Beautiful Day Monster appearances on "Sesame Street"

MuppetDude

Reaction score
I have a sketch on tape that involved BD Monster and the Alphabet Cheerleaders (who cheered for F and K). Here it is. (By the way, I'll call the Pointy Green leader "Jim"):

Jim: Gimmie an A!
Others: A!
Jim: Gimmie a B!
Others: B!
Jim: Gimmie a C!
Others: C!
Jim: Gimmie a D!
Jim: Gimmie an E!
Others: E!
Jim: Gimmie an F!
Others: F!
Jim: Put 'em together and what've you got?
Others: . . . . . . .Uhm, what is that? Ah-bi-cuh--what is, what is that?
BD Monster: (raising his eyebrows and pushing Jim around)Humgh, what is that? A-B-C? That's weird, that's what it is!
(Ends with everyone murmuring)

Frazzle

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Four words: Lulu's Back in Town
I thought I was the only one who remembered that one! I loved that song. That was an OLD one, from the first season.
:smile:

Splurge

Reaction score
Frazzle said:
I thought I was the only one who remembered that one! I loved that song. That was an OLD one, from the first season.
:smile:
Well, I didn't really remember it from the time, it was on one of the Noggin episodes from the first season. :smile:

prickle747

Reaction score
he is also in the ed sullivan dvd muppets magic where he started out and got his name............what a gem this dvd is....

mikealan

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
I have a sketch on tape that involved BD Monster and the Alphabet Cheerleaders (who cheered for F and K). Here it is. (By the way, I'll call the Pointy Green leader "Jim"):

Jim: Gimmie an A!
Others: A!
Jim: Gimmie a B!
Others: B!
Jim: Gimmie a C!
Jim: Gimmie a D!
Jim: Gimmie an E!
Others: E!
Jim: Gimmie an F!
Others: F!
Jim: Put 'em together and what've you got?
Others: . . . . . . .Uhm, what is that? Ah-bi-cuh--what is, what is that?
BD Monster: (raising his eyebrows and pushing Jim around)Humgh, what is that? A-B-C? That's weird, that's what it is!
(Ends with everyone murmuring)
Well, I've watched that sketch on one of the Sesame episodes from 2000 on Noggin ago, but I don't think BD was on it. I think it ends with Jim yelling "What's that letter?" after the other cheerleaders yell the letter F and before they cheer for it.

Frazzle

Reaction score
Splurge said:
Well, I didn't really remember it from the time, it was on one of the Noggin episodes from the first season. :smile:

I saw that somewhere on TV when I was a kid. Is that song exclusively used on SS, or could it have been used anywhere else? I swear up & down that I have heard it outside of SS. I could be wrong though.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
mikealan said:
Well, I've watched that sketch on one of the Sesame episodes from 2000 on Noggin ago, but I don't think BD was on it. I think it ends with Jim yelling "What's that letter?" after the other cheerleaders yell the letter F and before they cheer for it.
They've done quite a few cheers for "F", and later on witk "K" (two of the cheerleaders have changed for the "K" ones; the green one was given a light blue nose and the purple one was given brown hair and a pink nose). Both letters were probably done in the first season, and I'm guessing that BD's appearance with the cheerleaders was the only one he ever did with them.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
From what I remember, he was on quite a few. One was a clip from the mid-seventies with Kermit. Kermit was trying to explain the sound of the letter B to Beautiful Day and at the end of the clip, BD Monster opens his eyes really wide (as he did so well) and says, "BEE! BAHHHHHH!" The whole television screen turned white and the clip faded out from there. This one used to scare the living daylights out of me. I, in fact, nicknamed him "The Bee Monster" when I was a child after that clip. He gave me nightmares for years.
Another one I remember vaguely was again with Kermit. This time, he has items like an umbrella and a Beatles album. I remember BD monster putting ketchup on the umbrella and polishing it off after exclaiming, "Beatles! Yum!" and ingesting the 45. A few others including the Lulu sketch were shown several times on Noggin. BD was gazing at something unseen along with a row of other monsters. Suddenly another monster comes in and tries to shove his way between them. As this monster pushes, they exclaim, "Aye!" and try to push him back. After doing this a few times, you see that what the monsters were staring at the whole time was a big letter A...and then they all say "Aye!" There's also a sketch with Ernie and Bert where he actually gives Ernie a big smooch, and another one with Kermit when he's trying to explain the concept of big and little. There were a couple which showed him on a game show that weren't on Noggin, although I'm having a hard time remembering exactly how the sketches went. Hope this helps!

Frodis

Reaction score
Let's not forget the clip of Kermit's first season lecture on hair. The Beautiful Day monster shows up and tries to brush Kermit. However, as Kermit points out multiple times throughout the sketch, "Frogs don't have hair!". This clip is also infamous for the only known time that the word "BEER" was used on Sesame Street.

Kermit (while looking at a hippie muppet): "Not only do some people have hair on the top of their heads, but some people have hair on the bottom of their heads!...That is called a...um...hmm...(to the hippie) psst, what's it called?"

Hippie: "A BEARD!"

Kermit: "Oh, it's called a BEER!"

Hippie: "NO NO! A bear-D!"

I taped this one back in the 80's.

Frodis

MuppetDude

Reaction score
Frodis said:
Kermit: "Oh, it's called a BEER!"

Hippie: "NO NO! A bear-D!"
For Muppet fans, that'll go into the record books. :smile: