Beautiful Day Monster

mikebennidict

Reaction score
anyone know how or why they gave him such a name? also in the B segment with Kermit where he made the B sound the 2nd time, i wonder was it with the whole room to become smoogy? it appears he was only in the 1st SS season and while i get the feeling he was canned because he might of scared kids, but they used his skits long after he was gone and i know that for fact because i wasn't alive when SS debuted therefore only saw him when they reused his skits.

Censored

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
anyone know how or why they gave him such a name? also in the B segment with Kermit where he made the B sound the 2nd time, i wonder was it with the whole room to become smoogy? it appears he was only in the 1st SS season and while i get the feeling he was canned because he might of scared kids, but they used his skits long after he was gone and i know that for fact because i wasn't alive when SS debuted therefore only saw him when they reused his skits.
His name had something to do with some non-Sesame Street skit where he tried to ruin a girl's beautiful day or something. The original Sesame skits with him were from season one, but they definitely reused his skits for a few seasons before retiring him completely.

Today, he'd probably be an unacceptable character, but, early on, I think they just didn't need him as Cookie Monster's character got more developed. He was often used interchangeably with Cookie Monster in season one. In fact, in season one, all of the monsters were often pooled together with similar personalities. I liked Beautiful Day and, like many obscure muppets on Sesame Street, I think his character could have been developed. I've often wondered why they bothered creating so many new muppet characters in later years, when they had so many old ones that could have been reintroduced.

I also have a theory that Beautiful Day Monster might have been an early prototype for Sam The Eagle. :attitude:

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
The rise and fall of Beautiful Day

If you haven't picked it up yet, last year SOFA Entertainment released a compilation of Muppet skits from the Ed Sullivan Show. Anyone who's into early Sesame owes it to themselves to check it out. Quite a few of the monsters shown here made it onto Sesame Street, including Beautiful Day, who does try to wreck a pretty girl's beautiful day. For the rest of his brief existence, the Beautiful Day monster name stuck.
After evaluating the first season, Jim might have been advised to tone down the violence, and make the monsters a little less scary and a little more socialable. Jim personally had no problems with violence, and Don Sahlin loved to make the scary monsters, but the monster segments could've been too scary for some children to handle. So some changes were made.
Grover became blue, Oscar became green, and Beautiful Day was retired, until years later he turned up again on the Muppet Show.

There is a special filter on some cameras where if you flood it with bright light, it will fill up the screen with white light and blot out any image. Pretty simple back then but very effective.

Splurge

Reaction score
fuzzygobo said:
After evaluating the first season, Jim might have been advised to tone down the violence, and make the monsters a little less scary and a little more socialable. Jim personally had no problems with violence, and Don Sahlin loved to make the scary monsters, but the monster segments could've been too scary for some children to handle. So some changes were made.
Grover became blue, Oscar became green, and Beautiful Day was retired, until years later he turned up again on the Muppet Show.
Looking back, I wonder whether Herry Monster was developed as a relatively more acceptable version of Beautiful Day Monster. I consider this because the illustrated Sesame Street Story Book - in "The Boy, the Girl and the Jellybeans", Herry was the scary monster who appeared and ate the jellybeans. If I remember correctly, in the TV version, it was Beautiful Day.

Which brings me to another rationale, after the first season, maybe Jim wanted to keep his trunk monsters to himself for Muppets Inc. so he could use them for future projects. Of course, he gave Cookie Monster and Grover to Children's Television Workshop so they could be used for marketing - illustrated books, puppets, etc.

Like the song goes:
And even though
I might never know
It's fun to wonder.

Barry Lee

Reaction score
Beautifal Day Monster began his first appearance on "The Ed Sullivan Show" which he got his orginal name.In Season 1 of Sesame Street he was used a lot.He was called Lulu in the "Lulu's Coming to Town" and also Splurge.
Many skits feature him and Kermit,Cookie Monster,Grover,or other random monsters.

He was sort of the Grover and Cookie Monster of the first Season.He also appeared in about two sketches with Bert and Ernie.Then in the second season they finally named orginal monsters which include Herry,Cookie Monster,and Grover.Herry was actually in the jellybean skit but he had a big furry nose.

Beautifal Day also appeared around the first season of TMS then his last known appearance was "The Cosby Show" episode "Cliff's Nightmare"

Hope that helps. :wink:

mikebennidict

Reaction score
he appeared on The Cosby Show? was that the show Matt Robinson produced? or wasn't that other series on CBS Cosby was on after the NBC series left the air? if Robinson worked on the Cosby Show i'm sure it was a pleasure of him and BD to see each other again for old times sake.

Mokeystar

Reaction score
GeeBee said:
I also have a theory that Beautiful Day Monster might have been an early prototype for Sam The Eagle. :attitude:

I'll never look at Sam the Eagle the same way again....ha ha. :wink:

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Beautiful Day Monster Skit

I remember vaguelly seeing this skit as a kid,and I've always wondered why the Beautiful Day Monster scared me. After buying Muppet Magic,I finally got to see the sketch once again. It's starts out with a pretty girl(think a young version of Prairie Dawn) humming di dee di to herself,entering the scene. 'My what a beautiful day today. Isn't it a beautiful day?'..Still commenting on the day,the Beautiful Day Monster silently from her left comes up slowly behind the wall(in a basic Yorick fashion). He curses the sun,making it rain. She's a little unhappy,but continues to comment the rain positively,'There's beautiful things about rainy days too.' she states. He looks up,and chants again making the rain stop. She notices a flower in a flower pot(he follows her over to the flower),'Just look at this flower,the flower is pretty,the leaves are pretty,<sniffs> it even smells pretty.' He eats the flower,taking the flower pot over the edge(he throws another pot over the edge again). She hears a bird chirping,'My what a pretty sound the bird makes.' He takes out a gun,shooting the bird. She confronts him,'Gee your perfectly awful,in fact,your so perfectly awful that it's beautiful.' He gasps. She keeps commenting him,how he must have struggled all his life to be awful,making him cry,with every positive comment he gets smaller and smaller until he's tiny. She takes out a fly swatter and gets mad,'You have to talk your troubles down to a size where you can handle them!',swatting the Beautiful Day Monster. She leaves. The End. I kind of like this sketch now,has a good moral to it.

Docnzhoss

Reaction score
I agree with you, Dee. I liked the version of this sketch on TMS where Madeline Kahn was the optimistic one and Doglion was the spoiler. I saw this version before I ever saw the one on Ed Sullivan. Both sketches were really well done and I enjoy both of them very much.