Behind the Romance, There is Reality

Beauregard

Reaction score
Not cannon, but boy, I was all teary a minute ago. Boy oh boy, what a great story.

__

No boom-splashy cannonatter but tears de runnin' drip drop splatterdy.

Beauregard

Reaction score
BTW, I just read the last two parts, need more...much more...

___

BLT, readin' writin' story lots, partiloaders, muchmore needle.

Beth C

Reaction score
Hello everyone..

I'm behind on my updates today, as I had a really rotten day at work and didn't get anything at all written. :frown:

I'll try to get something up for sure tomorrow, so please don't think I've forgotten this story. It was just a really, really, really bad day.

~Beth C

Beth C

Reaction score
Aaron said:
Thank you.. I really need those right now.. (and a shoulder to cry on)

I'll be fine in the morning, once I've had some sleep.

~Beth C

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
Oh wow, this is an incredible fanfic! It's so beautiful!
*hugs and applause*
Me so jealous
:smile:

Beth C

Reaction score
Ok so I discovered I can still write while depressed. Incredible, ain't it? Part 8-

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The news of their engagement was announced by Kermit once he gathered everyone together into one room of the theater. It had been decided that he would be the one doing the announcing, for coming from Piggy, it was sure to not be believed.

He had first thanked everyone for showing up after hours and then proceeded to break the news with a simple, “We’re getting married,” while holding Piggy’s hand.

The reception the news got was overwhelming. Kermit was patted on the back, congratulated and hugged by almost everyone while Piggy showed off the ring and a smile that was brighter than any star.

It was obvious now, to anyone that saw them that they were in love. Kermit allowed himself to feel for the first real time in his life, happiness. He could look at Piggy now and see the joy in her face as she told everyone again and again about how he had proposed.

He loved her. He could say it now and feel strength from the words. He loved Piggy.

He was so full of love for her that he stood up in front of the whole theater and gave her a big kiss in front of everyone.

Applause broke out and a few catcalls too.

“Kermit, I didn’t think you had it in you,” Rowlf said once he could get Kermit alone. Or relatively alone. Everyone wanted to shake his hand and wish him well. “But I’m happy for you.”

“Thank you, Rowlf. I would like you to be the one who provides the music at the wedding. You know, the wedding march and all.” Kermit said.

“I would be honored.” Rowlf gave a small bow.

Kermit smiled and walked off to find Fozzie. He found the bear sitting with Gonzo and the Electric Mayhem. “Could you excuse us a moment, guys?” He took Fozzie by the arm and led him a few steps away.

“What is it, Kermit?”

Kermit looked at his first and best friend. “Fozzie, I would like you to be my Best Man.”

Fozzie looked stunned. Him? A Best Man at Kermit’s wedding? He took Kermit’s hand and shook it. “It would be my pleasure.”

He was interrupted by Robin, coming out from somewhere in the crowd. “Uncle Kermit, is it true? Are you getting married?”

Kermit knelt down. “Yes, Robin, I am.”

“Well that’s great!” The young frog gushed. “I knew someday you would.”

Kermit couldn’t help but marvel at the innocence of youth. He also knew another way to make his young nephew happy. “Would you like to be the ring-bearer?”

Robin began to hop up and down excitedly. “Oh yes, Uncle Kermit, I would like that very much!”

While Kermit was busy with Robin, Piggy was talking to Janice and asking her to be the Maid of Honor.

She had agreed, and Piggy had cooed about how wonderful she would look in the dress. Both of them began to discuss color schemes.

After a long while and some more heartfelt congratulations, the newly engaged couple finally got a chance to be alone.

“Kermie, I’m so very happy tonight. You have made my dreams come true.” Piggy told him while hugging him close.

“No, Piggy, it’s you who have made mine come true.” Kermit replied. “I’m just glad now that we can be open with each other.” He stroked one of his hands up her arm. He never really noticed how soft her skin was, and just how radiant she was. “I don’t ever want us to feel like we have to keep secrets from each other.” He rested his head on her arm.

She took her hand and stroked his cheek lightly. “I promise, Kermie.”

Kermit reached up with his free hand and guided her face close to his. They shared a kiss, which was both sweet and full of love.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The news hit the newspapers within a week and then came the tons of calls from both fans and friends, followed by every from of media available.

The new couple was invited to talk shows, news shows, they had interviews with the papers, and more.

It was an incredible high, to both Kermit – who had never really asked for this type of attention- and Piggy – who thrived on it. The media seemed to play up the unrequited love aspect that had been established for so very long, that they made it seem like a storybook romance was now coming to its almost climatic ending. They were asked again and again how they could have managed to stay apart for so long if they were so much in love.

Kermit tried to explain that it had taken time for their love to grow into something that could finally be built upon, but the media only seemed to want to capitalize on what could be exploited.

With each interview the story started to grow out of hand until he could barely discern any truth in the story at all. This made him upset, and when he confronted Piggy about it, there was little she could do.

“They did ask Moi about my past with you, Kermie,” she said as she tried to placate him. “I didn’t tell them anything that was really a lie.”

“You didn’t really tell them much truth either,” he pointed out. “Yes, at one time we did date, but it wasn’t because we had no other choices.”

She came up behind him and rested her hands on his shoulders. “I didn’t say that either. I just said that neither one of use was contemplating anyone in our company.”

He reached up and gave her hand a little squeeze, then let her hug him. “Piggy, you should know by now they will take your words and twist them around. You have to be careful when you talk to the press, or else before you know it, they will have us getting married because you are pregnant!”

Piggy gasped. “They better not! You are a very honorable frog.” She kissed him lightly on the top of his head.

“Then try to watch what you say around them, please? It could really have an impact on the show too.”

She released him and came around to face him. “Speaking of which, what are we going to do when we are on our honeymoon? Who is going to run the theater then?”

Kermit waved the question aside. “I’m working on that now. Rowlf, Fozzie and Scooter will take care of things while we are gone, don’t worry about that.”

“Well at least you didn’t leave Gonzo in charge.”

Kermit grinned. “I would like the theater still standing when we come back.”

Piggy had to stifle a laugh. She could well imagine how the theater would look if Gonzo was in charge, or rather what little that would remain of it.

Kermit hugged her once then walked over to his desk and took out a thick black book. “So shall we set a date?”

“Hmmmmm, I was thinking of a June wedding?” She said as she placed one finger aside her lips. “Mid-month?”

“That will give us about 8 months to plan. Will that be enough time or too much?” He made a small mark in the calendar on the front page of the book.

She started ticking things off on her fingers. “Well, there is the dress, the church, the cake, your tux, the photos, flowers…”

“Piggy!” He interrupted her. “I don’t want a big, fancy wedding. We already did that in Manhattan Melodies.”

“That was then, for a show, this is now, for real.” She put on her best pouty face.

He hated when she did that. The puppy-dog eyes she was adding didn’t help. “Piggy! Can’t we just keep it simple, just our friends, and no media?”

She sighed. “I’ll do my best, just for you, Kermie.”

“Thank you.” He made another mark. “So how does June 16th sound?”

“Delightful.” She answered him. “Will I be allowed to choose the church?”

He pulled out a stack of brochures and handed them to her to look over. “Actually I was thinking of having an outdoor wedding, the weather will be nice then.” The pamphlets covered many varieties of garden weddings.

She thought it over and the more she considered it, the more she liked the idea of being outside, under the sun, marrying her love. “I think that is a splendid idea, Kermie.”

“I’m glad you like it.” He told her, then closed the book. “This will be a wonderful wedding, Piggy. It may not be as flashy as the one we faked in Melodies, however you can at least know this one is real.”

“As long as it’s real, I don’t care if we eloped.” She countered. “I just want you to be mine.”

“I will be, Piggy, I will be.” He told her and kissed her once again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

~To be continued in Part 9