1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Bert and Ernie Gay Rumor: Settled

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Fozzie Bear, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

When I was little, I thought Bert was Ernie's uncle for a while. Bert was old enough to have a job of some kind and pay the rent while looking after Ernie. When we try to think about how old they are, Bert is obviously the more mature one while Ernie is the kid. I don't see them as gay, but more of a kid/adult dynamic.

I thought about the Bunsen and Beaker thing too. Aside from another Laurel and Hardy type of pairing, Beaker puts up with all the Muppet labs craziness because he helps put all these inventions together (he's the assistant, right?) so, he must have some faith that at least some of these ideas will work. Steve Whitmire said in an interview that Beaker is really smart because he works in a lab (makes sense), but he just gets the short end of the stick all the time. Fat Blue (or Mr. Johnson, if you prefer) is the same way. So is Charlie Brown. All three of them look forward to something great (kicking the football, eating a good meal or showing off a new invention), but it never works out. It's not their fault. They all try, but luck just isn't on their sides.

Another reason Beaker sticks around is a theory I had that came from one of my old Muppet books. (I'll have to look up which one, but I think it was "Case of the Giant Chicken"). It said that Bunsen was the only one who could understand what Beaker was saying. Don't know if that's true or not if we asked say, Dave Goelz, but it might explain why beaker can't get a job anywhere else.

Bunsen, I think, is so focused on the experiment and so confident (and proud) of what he built, he's ignoring the obvious, which is that his inventions hardly ever work right.

Or he could be a really quiet, calm version of the Robot Chicken mad scientist...
  2. Daffyfan2003

Daffyfan2003 Active Member

Thanks for sharing that. I have heard of Kevin, but I don't think I've yet read any stories about him being gay. Though it does seem like he is quite in contrast with Jughead who's merely not interested in women.

BTW, welcome back, Convincing John. I haven't heard from you lately. Yeah, I have noticed from watching the first season eps that Ernie was like a kid and Bert was like a father or an uncle, but as far is I know they are in no way related. Though some of my friends had believed they were brothers.
  3. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

Veering offtopic, but i'm really happy about Kevin not only being his due but bein such a huge success since Jughead had been the closest thing to a gay role model for decades with a lot implied about his not liking girls. That eventually was clarified as his being straight but just not girl-crazy, but still it was always a bit of a letdown when they did acknowledge his being straight when he had been a bit of an adopted rolemodel for so many for so long.

But the Jughead/Kevin relationship is awesome! They totally accept each other (and their respective sexualities) and have a huge amount in common, especially their passion for food/eating. Going back to what i had talked about earlier about gay men always having other people think that any male friendships they have must translate as being part of a couple, i love how Kevin and Jug have an awesome friendship that is exactly just that and nothing more.
    frogboy4 likes this.
  4. Convincing John

Convincing John Well-Known Member

No, they aren't related...but it sure seemed like Bert was like an adult figure, didn't it? You always saw Ernie playing with the toys or coloring or whatever, you know, kids stuff. Meanwhile Bert would listen to music suitable for Lawrence Welk, grumble about having to clean the place up or watch weather forecasts on TV.
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I guess that's because adults are usually viewed as grouchy and responsible. I think the ideal grown up should be equal parts of both Bert and Ernie in the right context.
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I always felt Jughead was a case of arrested development, or just didn't like anything that required work... a relationship requires work, and as such he doesn't bother with one. Of course, Jughead's the only character I really like, and I never really dug Archie except for "Weird Mysteries." All and all, I'm paying much more attention to their video game line of comics. But great to see them do something VERY bold.

DC, for the longest time, refused to put any African American characters in their comics. I think some of their writers got fired (or temporarily left) when they tried adding them in or protested. I forget the details.
  7. MJTaylor

MJTaylor Member

I haven't had the time to look at all the posts yet but I was quite sure that Bert was straight when I heard "I Want To Hold Your Ear" (available on Bert's Blockbusters and Sesame Road). At the start he says he once had a girlfriend.
  8. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

Now, while I think they're straight (most of the time, until it amuses me to think otherwise), the problem is that Rod said it best in Ave Q: "I have a girlfriend who lives in Canada." In other words, to deflect "accusations", magic girlfriends no one ever meets exist to promote an image that does not reflect reality.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

That did occur to me too, lol. Though at the same time you can't be paranoid and assume everyone's lying either. ;)
  10. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I should mention this, but I'm genuinely curious... with all the talks of stereotypes and such, would anyone ever wonder if perhaps Horatio might be seen as sort of a gay stereotype? I mean he's a male character, who dresses in a tutu, and arguably has a rather effeminate manner of speech, and a girly giggle.

I mean I KNOW kids wouldn't think of things like that, but what about those same adults who like to think Ernie and Bert are gay? Would they question Horatio too?
  11. Drtooth

Nah, it's the fact that his voice and actions are completely unexpected out of a large, heavy animal... something where you'd expect a much lower voice. Much as I love Joey's characters, I kinda like Martin's performance of the elephant in Monster Clubhouse better... the stuffy upperclass Brit accent. That's more fitting, and yet funnier.
  12. heralde

From what I've read, there are many men who dress up in drag but are actually straight. And obviously being effeminate isn't a litmus test for sexuality.
  13. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Recently Miss Piggy weighed in with an opinion...

Interviewer: You've heard of the rumors about Ernie and Bert?

Miss Piggy: That they are Puppets?

Int: No, the other rumors. Do you think they are true?

Miss Piggy: No, I really do not think they are Puppets.

LOVE that answer :p
    blackaerin and D'Snowth like this.
  14. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

15. Drtooth

As scary as some of the machinations of the Ernie and Bert gay rumor are (various "religious" organizations that care more about power than God or Jesus's intentions), the Veggie Monster rumor is just coming out a place of pure annoyance.

I get the fact people hate change that comes with growing up... I do to, for the most part... but once again, they feel it's another intrusion on their oh so precious childhoods, that something new that just happened here to for destroys everything that they already had, instead of making that stuff all the more special. I mean, yeah... Star Wars, Lucas went in and screwed stuff up... sure... but SW never took it's 35 back years of Cookie Monster skits and digitally altered them so he eats raw vegetables (and of course, they ignored the 1980's Healthy Food rap).

Over all, the fact they're still over reacting to a botched noise...errr... news... no... I DO mean noise story covering that one song from like 5 years ago just makes this completely idiotic.
    Duke Remington likes this.
  16. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Maybe its better I can't get that to load. I understand that people get upset when they mess with their childhood and all, but some stuff people complain about is just petty
  17. Drtooth

If they make a movie like Smurfs or Chipmunks, I can see it (though... eh.. I sort of liked Smurfs and the first Chipmunks film)... I completely understand the Star Wars purists, even though I never really watched the films UNTIL the special edition re-releases to theaters... and I would understand this if it truly happened. But other than the fact he sang, like ONE song and said "sometimes food" in one other episode, there hasn't been any change to the character... other than the fact you barely see him unless it's that chibi-animated form in that overused Sesame English letter of the day clip.

Cookie Monster wasn't funny for eating cookies... he was funny for eating EVERYTHING!
  18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Thats what I mean by people being petty
  19. heralde

I think people are just generally aware that the show has made a lot of questionable changes in recent years and they're looking for something concrete to pin down and attack.
  20. Drtooth

You stated the problem perfectly... there are a lot of things about the show that I get the resentment towards... the block format, the shift of demographics for a younger age group, the insane amount of structure and playing it all too safe to avoid offending some group or another (especially when they used to stand their ground a lot better)... even when the shift towards an Elmo focus that made sense...

but the problem isn't SW changing a character, so much as bungling up press releases that the noise media bungled even further. The complaints weren't from die hards who will watch the show and pick it apart on a critical level... it's more of the people who don't have kids, probably won't, haven't watched the show since they were 5, will not watch the show ever again, other than a random Youtube clip of an old segment. None of these people bothered watching the show afterwards, because everyone's fears SHOULD be put at ease, as he's still eating cookies.

I do agree that using him to help kids know about nutrition was a good idea, but somehow, it seems that Elmo would have worked just as good. Like a Goofus and Gallant type example... Elmo eats regular, healthy foods... Cookie eats weird stuff that kids shouldn't eat.