Best episodes of The Muppet Show

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Hey...what does everyone think are the all-time best episodes of The Muppet Show?

uncleduke

Reaction score
I don't know about you, but I really like the one where they are putting on a show, and the guest is not co-operating, and thinks he/she is being asked to do silly stuff. Also there are two old guys up in the balcony that keep making jokes, and alot of crazy stuff is going on backstage. That is my favorite one :big_grin:
Oh, and I am pretty sure everybody sings at the end of it!

Salmoto

Reaction score
For me it's a tossup. I love the ones starring comedians and my favorite is either the Steve Martin episode with no laugh track besides the ones supplied by the muppet performers sitting in the stands, or the pairing of Gonzo with Peter Sellers. I also liked the Milton Bearle episode, but not quite as much.

Gorgon Heap

Reaction score
The Paul Williams episode is my favorite. It worked extremely well, it was funny, well-paced, and had a great visual style.

Also if you look at the format of the episode it set the template for the series. Musical opening number followed by backstage scene setting up the plot; the guest goes on second (for the first time in the series; this would become the most common spot for the guests to do their first acts, applying to just over half of the episodes); plot is resolved in second to last number; closing musical number with the guest star.

It's also got the first sentimental closing number in the series, that great rendition of Paul's lesser-known tune, "Sad Song".

And of course, it has monsters in the goodnights:smile:

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole

radionate

Reaction score
Hands down, Gilda Radner. She is one of the biggest influences in comedy in my life. I miss her, and treasure that episode.

Foreignman

Reaction score
Of the episodes I've seen, I think it would have to be the Marty Feldman episode. I think Marty Feldman is hilarious, he interacts with the muppets great, he's like a muppet himself. This is one of my favorite Swedish Chef performances, and this is one of his biggest eps. I love the whole Arabian Nights theme, and the suprise Sesame Street ending is fantastic! Also all of the cross-eyed Muppets at the end just makes it for me. All this combines to make it my favorite episode so far.

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Best Muppet Episode(s)

My all time favorite TMS episodes are:

-Senor Wences(one of my fav. muppet skits :sing: Puppetman & watching Wences gift of puppetry)
-Peter Sellers(he's a true acting genius,watching him tie up Link Hearthrob & his final number)
-Gilda Radner(I miss her much,Tap Your Troubles Away & singing Gilbert & Sullivan)
-Marty Feldman(Ali Baba stories,plus We'll have a good time in the old town tonight finale w/ SS chrs.)
-Steve Martin(see the 4 Fazoobs,and other chrs. rarely seen & watching Steve play the banjo)
-Dom DeLuise(the Merdilops,monster adoption,We got Us)
-Alice Cooper(Welcome to my Nightmare)
-Vincent Price(Uncle Deadly)
-Memmenschanz(mimery at its finest)
-Rita Moreno(Fever with Animal)
-Danny Kaye(Inchworm & cooking with the Swedish Chef)
-Liza Minnelli(mystery)
-Dudley Moore(MAMA don't allow with EM)
-John Cleese(Impossible Star)
-Brooke Shields(Alice in Wonderland themed show)
-Carol Burnett(dance marathon)
-James Coburn(meditating with Animal<serenely>)
-Paul Simon(lots of his songs on the show)
-Elton John(Crocodile Rock)
-Doug Henning(magic)
-Lynda Carter(hearing her sing)
-Jonathan Winters(curse of TMS,centipede singing You'll never walk alone)
-John Denver(Falderee,Falderah/Grandma's Feather Bed)
-Alan Arkin(so many bunnies)

Yada Yada Yada,so many to name,lol. :crazy:

Whatever

Reaction score
uncleduke said:
I don't know about you, but I really like the one where they are putting on a show, and the guest is not co-operating, and thinks he/she is being asked to do silly stuff. Also there are two old guys up in the balcony that keep making jokes, and alot of crazy stuff is going on backstage. That is my favorite one :big_grin:
Oh, and I am pretty sure everybody sings at the end of it!
You mean John Cleese?

Drtooth

Reaction score
John Clese, hands down...

"This not be an intercom.... IT BE A PAYPHONE!!!!!"

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
In the order that I've seen 'em, and why.

Elton John (The costumes)
John Cleese (Gonzo's arm predicament)
Dudley Moore (Animal: "KILL!")
Mark Hamil (The end)
Paul Simon ("Hand me that clarinet" and "50 Ways to Leave your Lover")
Lynda Carter ("While my Guitar Gently Weeps")
Bob Hope (The Folk Medley, and Animal's hobbies)
Brooke Shields (The whole dang thing r0xx0rz my s0xx0rz)