Best of Cookie Monster on DVD!!! + Big Bird in China & Japan Specials

Oliver

Reaction score
Is this gonna just be more edited song themed compilations or will we actually have some decent classic Sesame sketches? If I pick this one up and there's no Monster Piece Theatre bits, it'll be the last S.S. DVD I ever pay for!

:stick_out_tongue:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Don't get too excited. This "Best Bites" compilation is rather disappointing. I've had it for a couple of years (on VCD from an old VHS) and, no, there are no Monsterpiece Theatre bits, there are no Beat The Time bits. There is hardly a recognizable sketch on it besides "C is for Cookie"! The "Book about Cookies" sketch (with the frustrated librarian) isn't even on it. There's even the "C Drives Me Crazy" Fine Young Camels take off on it, for some reason, even though Cookie's not even in it!!!

But don't be too upset...this video came out at the end of the eighties, or early nineties, when it was NOT cool to release any vintage clips. I think they were trying not to alienate any of the young viewers (or, in other words, their parents with the video-buying-cash) by scaring them off with characters they've never seen.

IF...for some sick reason...they've revamped the video in any way (i.e. IMPROVED IT) then, fine, but if it's the same one I have, don't bother.

eric

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
IF...for some sick reason...they've revamped the video in any way (i.e. IMPROVED IT) then, fine, but if it's the same one I have, don't bother.
No it looks like it's a straight copy of the VHS... oh well :frown:

Are the Big Bird in China & Japan specials worth getting (I've never seen them)?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
Don't get too excited. This "Best Bites" compilation is rather disappointing. I've had it for a couple of years (on VCD from an old VHS) and, no, there are no Monsterpiece Theatre bits, there are no Beat The Time bits. There is hardly a recognizable sketch on it besides "C is for Cookie"! The "Book about Cookies" sketch (with the frustrated librarian) isn't even on it. There's even the "C Drives Me Crazy" Fine Young Camels take off on it, for some reason, even though Cookie's not even in it!!!
I['d buy it for the Fine Young Camels parody, since I absolutely adore the classic Sesame Street "Weird Al-esque" song parodies. But that's the beef I have with SS DVD's... they are 12 bucks for like a half hour of footage. That's why I don't have any yet. The least they could do is add bonus extra clips or something, but I don't think they do.

I don't even understand why they just don't put two videos together into a DVD? I mean, a compilation of something like "Sing yourself silly" and "Sing yourself Sillier at the Movies" would be great.

jediX

Reaction score
I adored the Japan special when I was little but havn't been able to watch it in years due to low tape quality :frown: It's worth it, I guess. Isn't it about an hour long, which would make the price worthwhile?

Drtooth

Reaction score
The actual specials are worth it... the rerelease of old Videos just seems like pushing the price reasonability envelope. They couldn't even use the broadcast version of the 25th anniversary sepcial (Using the celebrity clips) which was the reason I skipped it. In fact I only have the video of that, and the Sillier at the Movies videos. My complaint is you get 30 minutes of footage, and they use different clips, not necesarily choice. I mean, we have the "Hey Diddle Diddle" animation and the "Silly sounding words" clip on "Movies" There are good things like 8 balls of fur and Watermellons and Cheese, but that darn "Silly sounding words song" is annoying.... :eek:

King Prawn

Reaction score
I'm so excited about both Big Bird In Japan & China. I recently read "The Wisdom of Big Bird" and have been so intrested in the Big Bird In China special, then two weeks later the announced this and I had it pre-ordered ever since. I actually thought most of us knew about this realese that's why I never posted it here.

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
King Prawn said:
I actually thought most of us knew about this realese that's why I never posted it here.
You should always post stuff here!!! I know I didn't know anything about them until I stumbled across them by chance and I'm sure there were at least a few others too. This forum is my main source for Muppet news so if I don't read about it here I probably won't know about it!!!