1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Best TMS guest stars

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Gorgon Heap, May 6, 2003.

1. Don'tLiveonMoon

Don'tLiveonMoon New Member

Isn't that "Scarborough Fair" sketch great? :D They really pulled out all the stops on that one. And I agree, all the music in the show is terrific. A bonus for me is I had never heard "It's Been a Long, Long Day" before, and I think it's a really pretty song. I need to get some more of Paul's solo stuff.
    Erin
  2. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

Zero Mostel taped his episode at the end of May/beginning of June. He died Saturday night, September 8, 1977, the day before he would've opened as Shylock in Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. He had been hospitalized for a week before he died and his death followed three months of a crash diet- basically starving himself- during which his weight dropped from 304 to 215. His episode of TMS didn't air until mid-December (13th I think?)

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  3. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

I didn't know all of this insider info before; thanks for posting it. I falsely assumed that he died a month before his ep. aired. He must've kept busy during those final months, because he did a couple of other film projects that didn't get released until a year after his death (e.g. "Watership Down"). According to the Internet Movie Database, his TMS appearance was taped May 31, 1977.
  4. Gorgon Heap

Gorgon Heap Active Member

I'm the one who provided the taping dates for imdb.com. I got then from the Henson.com archivist, Karen Falk, who had made it a task for one of the summer interns. May 31 was the date I was given in the original list, May 31-June 2 were the dates I was given in the revised list. The show taped 3 days out of every week and up to 6 weeks in advance (meaning they could be working on material for shows up to 6 weeks later and for any show in between). The guest star always taped all of his/her material in one day- the noted exception being Spike Milligan, who ad-libbed so much that he cracked up the cast and crew to the point they didn't finish all his sketches in one day and had to finish them the following day- so chances are yes, Mostel taped his episode of TMS on May 31st, 1977, 3 months and 8 days before he died.

David "Gorgon Heap" Ebersole
  5. JamieDenny

JamieDenny New Member

Lynda *great songs, great voice great everything* Carter

Ethel *there goes the Mirror* Merman NI have a soft spot for Ethel but the other great thing about this ep is to me it sums up Jim Henson's Philosophy, When Fozzie is upset Ethel grabs him says, c'mon bear look at what you do isn't it great, you entertain people, money aint all that you enjoy your job, or words to that effect.
    i think Jim deep down was also a showman and thats why the finale resonates with me.

Gene Kelly was a great guest star but I found it very sad that he could no longer dance they way he used to.

Chris Reeve ep makes me cry as i look at that then see pictures of him in the papers.

Just a few thoughts

Jamie
  6. dbarrie

dbarrie New Member

Mummenschanz

Last night I saw the TMS ep. w/ Mummenschanz, and it made me change my view of them. Last month I wrote in the worst TMS guests thread that I thought that they were a "boring" act. But when I watched them again for the first time in over a decade, I realized that they were pretty cool. Weird, yes, but cool! And they were kinda Muppety too!
  7. Whatever

Whatever Active Member

I loved the episode with Debbie Harry! As well as many others who have already been mentioned, like Julie Andrews- see my signature! :D
  8. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

Two of my favorites were:
    Spike Milligan: he was just so hillarious!! Especially when he was saying that he loved England. Sam said to show it & Spike pulled down his pants & showed Sam his boxers with England's flag on it! (No disrespect to anyone in the UK but I thought it was funny!)
    Christopher Reeve:he was great! Miss Piggy was falling head over heels over him & poor Kermie was jealous. The end of the Vet's Hospital sketch they did was pretty funny
    Announcer:Tune in next time when you'll hear Dr. Reeve say:
    Christopher R:Wait!I'm not going to be here next time!
    Miss Piggy:You mean you're leaving?
    Christopher*Superman voice*:Faster than a speeding bullet!
    (R.I.P to both these men)
  9. Frogster

Frogster Active Member

Wow, of all the episodes I can't believe no one said the Tony Randall episode, when he accidently turns Miss Piggy to stone!!! I've only seen what they've shown on "The Kermit And Piggy Story" but from what I saw was hilarious!
    Fozzie (to Miss Piggy): Boy, you sure are heavy. You must weigh at least a ton.
    Floyd: Well that's good. That means she's lost weight!
    Fozzie: Oh, come on Floyd, don't laugh. She must be terrified.
    Floyd: Terrified? She's petrified!
    Gonzo: Hey, great news, Miss Piggy. You'll be back to normal in no time! I just got this new book called, Sand Blasting Without Pain!
    Floyd: Hey Gonzo?
    Gonzo: Yes?
    Floyd: Did you hear that Miss Piggy is very worried about Kermit?
    Gonzo: Worried about Kermit? Why?
    Floyd: Well, she's afraid she'll be taken for granite!
    Kermit: Alright guys, that's enough of these cheap shots.
    Floyd: Oh come on. I've got another page to go yet!
    Kermit: How can you be so cruel to a fellow performer? Someone you've known and worked with for years. She's suffered enough... have pity upon her.
    Floyd: Well... you're right. But what should I do with these jokes?
    Kermit: Burn 'em.
    Floyd: You heard what the frog said! (strikes a match against Miss Piggy)
    This scene, plus the one from the Dyan Cannon episode really got me to like Floyd... he was so funny back then... my favorite quote from him...
    "Breathe through the keyhole, turkey dog!" :sing:
    I'd say my favorite would be the Loretta Swit episode, and I liked the Chris Reeve episode as well. Others would be the Paul Simon, Diana Ross (although she was a horrible actress in it), Dom DeLouise, George Burns, Gilda Radner, and Raquel Welch.
    Where's the post talking about the worst episodes?
    :confused:
  10. Harvey Towers

Harvey Towers Active Member

I think the John Cleese episode is my all time favourite - I also think it is the first episode I ever saw... (see signature!)

Also there's Julie Andrew, Petula Clark, Danny Kay, John Denver, Harry Belafonte and Kenny Rogers - all embodied the same wonderful spirit of the Muppets,
  11. DanDanStrawberry

DanDanStrawberry Active Member

My fave episode is Elton John, Diana Ross and Mark Hamill. Favourite overall is Diana Ross because of "Beaker's Solo" which I thought was just fabulous!
  12. Pug Lover

Pug Lover New Member

My favourites are Avery Schrieber(didn't he once appear with Kermit on a segment of Sesame Street?),Elton John,George Burns,Harry Belafonte(his closing musical number was sheer joy),Jean Stapleton(For me it's always kind of fun seeing her in a role other than Edith Bunker),Mark Hamill,Connie Stevens and Gene Kelly.
  13. jrhzoot

jrhzoot New Member

Teresa Brewer

I always liked Teresa Brewer's episode. All of her songs were fun and I loved the recurring weight issue with Piggy. Also, it was one of the best At The Dance sketches ever.

Some side notes of favorite, would have to be
    Shields & Yarnell (a favorite from when I was younger)
    James Coco
    Glenda Jackson (loved the pirate theme)
    Leslie Uggams (Miss piggy interacting with Big Bird was hilarious!)
    Madeline Kahn (love the feet number)
    Christopher Reeve
    Carol Burnett (so funny- a dance marathon and Carol being forced to pair up with Animal)
    Elton John
  14. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

I don't recall the Billy Crystal episode. He is one of my all time favorite performers and City Slickers is my favorite movie. Would you mind filling me in on the details of the episode? Also, City Slickers was done in the '90s, I didn't think they were still making The Muppet Show then.
  15. zootlove

zootlove New Member

Oh' I would have to pick the one with Gilda Radner. It was hilariouos watching her get stuck to everything because of Benson's super glue stuff. It was also hilarious watching Rowlf's fingers getting stuck to the piano keys and Zoot's sax getting stuck in his moouth. I could hardly breath from all of the laughing. :cool:
  16. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

The best guest star was Mark Hamill. The best EPISODE was the Gene Kelly episode.
  17. rexcrk

rexcrk Active Member

I haven't seen many episodes of the Muppet Show recently, but the ones that stick out are the Steve Martin one and the Mark Hamill one (yay STAR WARS! :D )
  18. MrsPepper

MrsPepper Active Member

BEAR, LadyHyde was talking about "Muppets Tonight", which was made in the 90's.

Right. Noone has mentioned these yet, so I guess I'm one of the few who likes them, but my two favourite episodes are with Sylvester Stallone, and Kenny Rogers. :o Mind you, I haven't seen very many episodes, but of the ones I've seen, these one's stick out in my mind.

My reasons for Kenny Rogers: "Lime in the Coconut" sketch, "The Gambler" sketch on the train (I love that song, and I love how they did it in the sketch), and the hilarious "Veterinarian's Hospital" in this sketch > this one's a classic.
    Rowlf: "Nurse Piggy, you cannot let your personal feelings affect your duty. You are a nurse."
    Piggy: “I may be a nurse, but I’m a woman first!”
    Rowlf: “Wrong, you’re a pig first. Nurse second, I don’t think woman made the top ten!”

My reasons for Sylvester Stallone: I never knew he could sing ("She's only a bird, in a GIIIIILDED CAAGE"), and I loved the whole idea of the groupies following him around. And the scene with the lion, and he's a gladiator? That's awesome!
  19. Princeton

Princeton Guest

Here's my list

Paul Williams- I can honestly say that his was the ep that I anticipated the most from the Season 1 box set; naturally, the writers and Williams himself did not disapoint. Also noteworthy: the debut of Muppet Labs; love the All-Purpose Tenderizer, easily the best ML ever!

Bruce Forsyth- I liked how he came through for Fozzie and they shared a very harmonious and show-stopping duet. Very glad to see that Forsyth did something other than "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".

Twiggy- Very good actress, but most of all, completely sizzlin' as the Dairymaid in the A.A.Milne poem.

More will come as I think of them.
  20. That Announcer

That Announcer New Member

These are my seven favorites. (Why? Five was too few, and ten was too many.)

1) Elton John. A personal favorite singer of mine, and his episode did not disappoint.

2) Paul Williams. This episode launched Paul's career with the Muppets, which represents his best work (IMHO). His episode is fantastic, too. The classic Beautiful Day Monster sketch is deservedly hyped.

3) Rudolf Nureyev. For starters, Sam features heavily here, so that's a big plus. For another thing, it features my favorite EM sketch ("Minuet in G Major"). Lastly, the finale is my favorite finale. Great episode.

4) Brooke Shields. Seriously though, this was great. Whitmire's rabbit delivered my all-time favorite Muppet Show quote ("Look, buddy. Either ya tell me where the rabbit hole is, or I tear your head off."), and the Alice in Wonderland theme played out well enough.

5) Mark Hamill. The Muppets and Star Wars were apparently a good mix. This featured my second-favorite Pigs in Space ("Who's your tailor? I love that outfit!"), and Angus McGonagall is genius.

6) Gene Kelly. How can you go wrong with an episode heavily featuring Beauregard, an end-of-the-world motif, some great musical numbers, the best Pigs in Space ever ("What, miss dinner? Why, they're having swill stroganoff!"), AND one that features the first and last appearance of my namesake character? You can't.

7) Paul Simon. Let's see here. A wonderful singer who really appeared to kick around the set and enjoy the Muppets more than most guest stars; "50 Ways to Leave your Lover" performed by Floyd, Janice and Rizzo; Gonzo attempting "El Condor Pasa" and subsequently getting his chickens stolen; talking asparagus... excellento.