Beware of abridged "John Denver & Muppets" Xmas CD!!

DarthGonzo

Reaction score
I recently discovered that an abridged (or shortened) version of the "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together" CD has apparently just been released. It lacks two songs that were once on the older CD: "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" by Denver and Rowlf and "Little Saint Nick" by the Electric Mayhem. Why these two songs are gone is beyond me, but there are two easy ways to spot this CD without reading the song list. The new CD has a clear spine and there's a photo on the back cover. The old CD had a black spine and there were no pictures on the back cover.

Be wary if you find this in stores. I spotted it at Best Buy.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Those are my two favorite songs on the whole album! That's strange!

Crazy Harry

Reaction score
Originally posted by Janice & Mokey's Man
My woman got shafted
Hmmm... I wonder how I could turn this into a dirty joke.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It's probably another case of Grinchy licensors. And this is Christmas music for Pete's sake. I am sure those receiving money for the songs didn't even write them. Those are a couple of songs not written by John, right?

Janice & Mokey's Man

Reaction score
Originally posted by frogboy4
Those are a couple of songs not written by John, right?
Right.

But neither were "Silent Night", "12 Days", and "We Wish"! ARRGH!

(and probably more, but I'm too tired to think much...)

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
the beach boys sing a little saint nick, but it's not their song is it?

gees these are my two favorte songs too! lets just be glad if you already have the cd. i know i am!

as Sal the Monkey would say "ahh, the jerks!"

Zack,

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they probably only had the budget to pay for a few of the songs. They probably found 12 Days. Silent Night and Deck the Halls more traditional than St Nick and Merry Little Christmas. Since the Muppet Show and this special aired, licensing fees have become much more expensive. That's why so many top artist are selling out and providing current hits for car and fast food commercials. :frown: tacky if you ask me, but if I were in that position - well, who could turn down that kind of money?

anathema

Reaction score
This version's been around for at least a year - my copy's dated 2001. It's also missing 'When The River Meets The Sea'. Apart from this, it's too all intents and purposes the same release - same catalog number and everything.

'Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas' is probably missing due to the same rights issue that got it excised from MFC. Dunno about the others, but the omission of the Paul Williams-penned song is very odd, all things considered!

It's still entirely possible to pick up the complete release on eBay for about the same as you'd pay in the shops, just be careful: sometimes the sellers don't realise that it's the shorter version they've got...