Big, Bigger and Biggest skits

SesameMike

Reaction score
Ernie and Bert are at home discussing the concept of "tall". First Ernie stands up straight and boasts that he is tall. Bert stands alongside and reminds us that he is taller. For tallest, into the apartment walks none other than Big Bird! Bert is like "whaaa?" and protests as BB knocks over a coffee table (unseen, behind the wall). They then do a final lineup as Ernie is tall, Bert is taller, and Big Bird, who had been ducking until now, stands up straight and is tallest. Note that BB's head is cropped out of the picture at this point, as we see some dust and plaster fall.

BERT: (blankly) "Right through the ceiling."
BIG BIRD: (with an echo) "Boy, isn't this fun? Now we know all about tall, taller and tallest."

Another big-bigger-biggest scene was in a library. I think this was a temporary library of some sort, maybe located alongside Hooper's store. All the regular books were piled on a large table. As best as I can recall, Farley, or a similar Muppet, comes up to the table and asks the librarian (Maria?):

FARLEY: "I would like a big book"
(librarian hands him a book)
FARLEY: "Now I would like a bigger book"
(librarian hands him another book)
FARLEY: "Now I want the biggest book you have"
LIBRARIAN: "Well the biggest book we have is the <something-something> dictionary." (pulls it off reference shelf behind her.)
FARLEY: "Good. Let me have it then."
LIBRARIAN: "You're going to read the dictionary?"
(Farley explains that he asked for the three books so he could stand on them, in order to see what books they had on the table.)
FARLEY: "You got any Bugs Bunny?"
LIBRARIAN: "Let's see..." (end of clip)

MuppetDude

Reaction score
You're right; the "Lending Library" used to be where the Fix-It/Mail-It Shop is now.

clipjj27

Reaction score
My 'big, bigger, and biggest' memories

I remember the animated skit with the three muscular people walking on the stage, accompanied by drumroll, only to have the most muscular - or
'biggest' - person fall over.

I also remember the one with three elephants walking on to the screen. This too was animated and I enjoyed the background music (predominantly drumbeats), but I don't remember how it ended up.

Other than that, perhaps my favorite one involves the muppets. Three monsters appear - one big, one bigger, and one small. The big one says 'Big!' and giggles, apparently at the small one. The bigger one says bigger while also chuckling at the small one. Little do they know, however, that the
'small' one is gradually inflating in size, until it becomes the biggest of the three. When it does, it bellows 'Biggest!', and the other monsters are startled. At least that's what I remember.

SesameMike

Reaction score
Mickey Moose said:
I do recall one where 2 kids were fighting over a cookie. Cookie Monster walks by and says the smallest should get the cookie. They then argue over who's smaller(one of them scrunches down).
A boy and a girl Muppet were arguing over this pitiful-looking cookie on a plate. Along comes Cookie Monster who says he will decide who gets the Cookie. Yeah sure, like a fox guarding the henhouse. Conversation from there went something like this.

GIRL: "I wasn't born yesterday, you know."
CM: "The smallest person gets the cookie."
GIRL: "Of all the crazy.... The SMALLEST person?"
(with Cookie Monster clearly towering over both of them)
GIRL: "OK, line up everybody... I'm the smallest!"
BOY: "hey you're just scrunching down. I'm smaller than you are"
CM: "You BOTH small. But I show you who the smallest."
("dink dink dink dink eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuu". Psychedelic sound effects as we watch CM shrink to a pint size.)
(camera switches to boy and girl alone, presumably so crew can stage tiny CM Muppet)
GIRL: "How did he do THAT?"
BOY: "I don't know, but, he's the smallest."
(camera returns to wide angle)
CM: (with a pipsqueak voice) "I do ANYTHING for cookie."
(CM walks off with a huge cookie in his mouth, since that's proportionate to his new reduced size. Closing music consists of 6 horn notes.)

dvakman

Reaction score
Does anyone have this Cookie Monster skit? I've been looking for this one forever!

Soul H

Reaction score
I'm surprised that no-one mentioned the sketch when Cookie Monster wishes for a big truck, a bigger truck and a biggest truck. Surley that is the most classic "Big, bigger, biggest" sketch of them all.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
yeah. and it's amazing that whoever supplied the truck would of even bothered knowing what would happen to it. rememeber that was a real pick up.