Big Bird and the Mysterious Neck Tie

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date
P

Philo and Gunge

I just got "Big Bird In Japan" from my local libary and I noticed that Big Bird kept his neck tie on for the whole special even when he was sleeping.

Now my question, WHY does he wear that tie? Is it for that the people of Japan think he looks nice in it? Anyway, I have a list of appearences with his tie:

Big Bird in China (except when he's biting his neck in the Monkey King song)
Big Bird in Japan
Don't Eat The Pictures
Jim Henson's Funeral
Talk Show Apperences (????)
Sesame Street Live

Any more I should know about and why does he wear it?

Splurge

Reaction score
I don't know whether this is accurate or not, but I have heard that when Big Bird is on location, like in the examples you mentioned, Caroll Spinney uses that tie to help him see outside in addition to using the monitor inside the bird.

Maybe Secret Squirrel can clarify this?

muppet maniac

Reaction score
Now my question, WHY does he wear that tie? Is it for that the people of Japan think he looks nice in it? Anyway, I have a list of appearences with his tie:
And..Big Bird also wears his neck tie at the Sesame Place theme park(USA and Tokyo).

P

Philo and Gunge

I think I saw a picture of Big Bird with his neck tie on in page 21 of a book, "Kermit Knows Windows" with Murray Minstrel.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Splurge nailed it. The tie (or other pieces of clothing) are worn to help Carroll see out of the bird more easily when not on Sesame Street.

P

Philo and Gunge

Then how did Carroll see during projects like "The Muppet Movie", "Follow That Bird", etc.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Philo and Gunge said:
Then how did Carroll see during projects like "The Muppet Movie", "Follow That Bird", etc.
Well, I've heard that he can't use the monitor inside the puppet when they are not on-set. I would assume that most of his work in those two movies was done on a movie set and not on-location, whereas the other specials where he did wear a tie relied on the locations Big Bird was visiting.

ssetta

Reaction score
How could a tie help him see out of the costume?

When he went to Hawaii, Puerto Rico, and Camp Echo Rock, he didn't have a tie.

BlueFrackle

Reaction score
Guys,

a section of the tie is probably thin material that he can see through, Or there are tiny eyeholes.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I always thought that when that camra is on Carroll he's able to see what the people see. So if he's on an SS epiosde maybe he did wear the monitor thingy when taping SS episodes. Maybe? Don't know just I have to go w/ Ssetta on her question.