Big Bird and the Mysterious Neck Tie

• Thread starter Philo and Gunge
  • Start date

Erine81981

Reaction score
U know the only other episode I can recall seeing him wearing it would be on the SS episode where he, Gordon and Snuffy run the race marathon. :confused: Hmmmm....can't seem to figure it out.?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Carroll doesn't have a monitor if he is not doing a TV or film taping. Presumably, in some on-camera outdoor situations (like walking the Great Wall of China) he's not able to use the monitor as a guide for whatever reason. Carroll mentioned in his autobiography that for live appearances he removes a few feathers from the costume so he has a hole that he can see out of. The tie is used to help disguise the hole.

P

Philo and Gunge

Buck-Beaver said:
Carroll doesn't have a monitor if he is not doing a TV or film taping. Presumably, in some on-camera outdoor situations (like walking the Great Wall of China) he's not able to use the monitor as a guide for whatever reason. Carroll mentioned in his autobiography that for live appearances he removes a few feathers from the costume so he has a hole that he can see out of. The tie is used to help disguise the hole.
Well, in my first post that during "Big Bird In China", the only time he has the tie off in thw whole special is during the Monkey King song when Big Bird is biting his neck, the tie is completly off. Is this becuase you cannot see the hole when he is doing that.

BTW, why didn't he have his tie off during the street scene in "BBIC"?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Well, I've heard that he can't use the monitor inside the puppet when they are not on-set. I would assume that most of his work in those two movies was done on a movie set and not on-location, whereas the other specials where he did wear a tie relied on the locations Big Bird was visiting.
I thought those were filmed on location, not on a set.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I thought those were filmed on location, not on a set.
Which? The Muppet Movie and Follow That Bird, or Big Bird in China and Big Bird in Japan. I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that much of the two "Big Bird's Travels" specials were on location, whereas the others were on a set. But I have no real way of knowing...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
AndyWan Kenobi said:
Which? The Muppet Movie and Follow That Bird, or Big Bird in China and Big Bird in Japan. I'm just guessing here, but I'm assuming that much of the two "Big Bird's Travels" specials were on location, whereas the others were on a set. But I have no real way of knowing...
I meant The Muppet Movie and Follow That Bird. I know that Jim Henson wanted the muppet movie to be filmed outdoors, and I believe I read that the sesame street set in Follow That Bird was built on an outdoor location.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
here are some other times when big bird appeared on-location without wearing a tie:

various sesame street openings
the song "hand talk"
sesame street home video visits the hospital
sesame street home video visits the firehouse
sesame streets 25th birthday: a musical celebration
what's the name of that song?

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Some of these, though, might still be under conditions where they could use the closed circuit TV feed into the monitor in the suit. I wonder what determines when they can't do that...