Bill S.978: Stop it ASAP!

Drtooth

Reaction score
The South Park guys apparently LIKE when fans post stuff, but the company that owns the characters doesn't.

Sesame Street/Sesame Workshop has ALWAYS had a good sense of humor/sense of fandom when it comes to their videos. The only SS videos that were pulled were because they had some logo of a long defunct TV network Viacom had or there was a 10 second clip on a Lionsgate DVD. I've seen some nasty stuff with SS characters on there, and not ONE threat, not one block, not one ban.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I found it interesting that I could have "5 minute" eps of Dinosaurs up (I refuse to post whole eps), but do a dubbed FR vid, even WITH citations, and those get pulled.

I REALLY hate Lionsgate.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I like how Lionsgate gave us all this rare Henson produced stuff but A) Why the heck aren't they continuing any of it, and giving us Uncut versions of Christmas specials... at LEAST give us the Dog City cartoon series. and B) just because something's on one of their videos, either in print or completely out of print DOESN'T mean they own it. Full episodes YES, theme songs and clips NO!

Plus, they sat on the license for the first 13 episodes of Dragonball forEVER. Thankfully that's been cleared away. Now the only thing stopping me from getting it is the fact I'll never have the money.

Seriously, this stupid bill is gonna pass. I just know it.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Just curious but how it this going to affect the thing where you are legally allowed to use 30 seconds of a song without permission?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I brought this to the attention of Mike Mozart. He's always sticking up for the YouTube community when they're being stabbed in the back by big companies like Viacom and CBS, and this is something I think he should spread the word of to those who follow him.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Isn't there some Ex-Post facto thing that would keep things safe that were uploaded before hand?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Now there are claims on YouTube that say this whole bill is a fake, simply because this site ends in .org, and not .gov.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Copyright holders should understand that viral clips promote business. It's lightening in a bottle that can't be manufactured by marketing execs. It just happens.

There was a story recently concerning Rebeca Black's "Friday" song potentially being yanked from YouTube by her management. That's idiocy. Love it or hate it, that video is the only reason she's famous!

For every icky Rebeca Black there's also fantastic bands like OK Go. They are known for all sorts of wacky official and fan made videos that keep people interested in the band. Viral is what made them famous, but their record label has made them fight to keep their videos up on YouTube and many of them unfortunately have commercials.

I understand protecting one's copyright, but there's a much bigger picture that's being lost! This bill's restrictions just don't make sense.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
"Friday" WAS yanked from YouTube. Re-uploads are there still, but the one that got everyone's attention is gone.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
"Friday" WAS yanked from YouTube. Re-uploads are there still, but the one that got everyone's attention is gone.
That makes no sense! Maybe it had to do with the 99% negative ratings that made it rise to fame in the first place?