BK Spongebob Commercial

JJandJanice

Reaction score
Has anyone seen that new commerical (though I guess it's not that new now) with Spongebob Squarepants and a bunch of pretty good looking girls dancing to a new verison of Sir Mix-a-Lot's "Baby got Back"

If you haven't check it out, here.

Anyway some people are upset feeling this is too sexual and it's being aimed towards kids. Others feel it's not that big of a deal since this usually airs pretty late and the girls aren't actually booty dancing and have square butts.

What does everyone here think

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Um... My first thought was was "Sir Mix-a-lot? Sponge Bob? Burger king? Just who exactly is this trying to appeal too?" And also the fact that this was promoting a kids meal? What?

Burger King claims that it was for adults. I'm just confused about the whole thing.

You know there's an over two minute version of this?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway some people are upset feeling this is too sexual and it's being aimed towards kids. Others feel it's not that big of a deal since this usually airs pretty late and the girls aren't actually booty dancing and have square butts.
I haven't seen the commercial aired during kid's programming... but then again, I always add... What kid's programming? Unless you have cable, it's tumbleweeds, man.

The commercial is clearly aimed at adults saying "Buy a Value combo and get a Kid's meal for 99 cents." And it aired during multiple adult programs.

I think this is the Best BK commercial since the Simpsons Movie aderts. Funny, clever, and it doesn't come off like every single "I watch the Office, therefore I can steal from it and claim it as my own" commercial I've seen lately. The toys on the other hand are a total disappointment. Spongebobs with stickers for faces? I really don't like that idea at all. I usually go back numerous times to get as many Spongebob figures as possible, I especially liked the sea myth and Cobwboy assortments. I was planning to at least pick one up... but I thought, naaahhh.... there's so much other Spongebob stuff out there. With better quality too.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Well, at first they did show it during kids programming, but as soon as parents started to complain, they made a press release saying that it was aiming towards adults buying kids meals for their children.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't complain about it being a fast food commercial with a cartoon character in it to begin with. Man, I hate that. I understand how they feel about that sort of thing, but pulling junk food advertisements is NOT going to make the junk food disappear off the face of the Earth.

And parents completely underestimate their kids when it comes to that sort of thing. As a kid, you learn the dirtiest stuff from your friends or the bad kids anyway. besides, "Baby got Back" has to be the biggest campy rap song out there. Everyone has referenced it by now.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, I was reading this article about the commercial and someone was saying something like it's bad enough that they are using Sponge Bob to sell junk food or fast food or something like that. I mean Burger King already has like macaroni, apple, and corn or something like that. How far do you have to go? When does it end? Till you ban all burgers from kins period? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
These are very, very judgmental, stupid, naive, and just plain lazy people. Cartoon characters have been hocking junk food since the beginning of Television cartoons. Funny how the obesity epidemic happens now as opposed to the 60's, 70's, or 80's, when that stuff was really rampant. They just want to make it so they make the perfect child without having to put in any effort. Banning this stuff so they don't have to deal with their kids is lazy and selfish. But hey, these are the same people that think buying Baby Einstein videos will guarantee their kids will grow up to be Mensa members. And yet, if their taxes went up just a hair to pay for healthy food in schools, they'd moan and groan about having to pay them.

Leave the junk food... leave the cartoons eating food that exists in reality... leave the Happy meal prizes for crying out loud (they're the only toys anyone can even afford anymore)... just tell your lazy kids "NO." And while you're at it, pull them away from their X-boxes and make them actually go outside. See, it isn't food that's totally to blame... it's the general laziness that's doing it. God, I HATE these people.

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I thought the commercial was kinda stupid ... but, seriously, you would EXPECT Spongebob to have commercials for a burger joint. HE WORKS AT A BURGER FAST-FOOD PLACE! Even IF you banned all the actual commercials, the fact is, Spongebob treats Krabby Patties like the Holy Grail. :stick_out_tongue: You'd have to make Spongebob get a job at a vegan place in order to not sound silly when you try to ban BK commercials.