Boxed set of classic SS episodes -- coming soon??

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Sesame Workshop stated that they are considering releasing classic episodes on DVD sometime after 2007 (at the earliest). Are they talking about actual, hour-long episodes, or just a collection of skits put together?

I doubt that complete season sets would be released, but maybe it would be possible for Sesame Workshop to release a Sesame Street set similar to how they are releasing The Electric Company (a four-disc "best of" set).

PiLfan

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Sesame Workshop stated that they are considering releasing classic episodes on DVD sometime after 2007 (at the earliest). Are they talking about actual, hour-long episodes, or just a collection of skits put together?

I doubt that complete season sets would be released, but maybe it would be possible for Sesame Workshop to release a Sesame Street set similar to how they are releasing The Electric Company (a four-disc "best of" set).

impossible to determine at this point....it may be complete episodes, or just street segements of episodes, or a collection of the most famous skits. time will tell.

and you're right, complete seasons are unlikely to ever be released...you're talking hundreds of discs, remastering, packaging, etc...the cost to do this would never be recouped; the demand is simply just not that strong. something more akin to "best of" episodes (as with TEC) is more plausible...say the first episode, Niles adoption, Mr. Hooper's death, Maria/Luis' wedding, etc.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I wonder if there could be a themed box set, or maybe a box set with every episode that focused on maria and Luis' marriage (how many were there?), or a box set of all the episodes where the fix-it shop was remodled (I don't know how many episodes there were).

Perhaps there could be a four-disc set featuring two episodes from each of the first four seasons (the season premiers and another random episode from those seasons). a special feature could be four additional segments from those seasons that were not incuded in the episodes on those discs (for example, if neither of the first season episodes included on disc one didn't have the baker film about the number 9, that could be included).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I would like to see a Classics best of set, or maybe some sort of 36 episode disk set(s) with the best of each season (that's one I've been thinking about being a possibility). But a Complete first season, depending on howmany episodes there are is only semi-likely. Even then, how are we to be sure that all the skits are intact?

Fuzzy and Blue

Reaction score
the 36-episode DVD box set with "the best of" each season sounds like a good idea to me. at least it would capture the most unforgettable moments which will make all the classic SS fans happy :smile:

~Dana~

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
I would like to see a Classics best of set, or maybe some sort of 36 episode disk set(s) with the best of each season (that's one I've been thinking about being a possibility). But a Complete first season, depending on howmany episodes there are is only semi-likely. Even then, how are we to be sure that all the skits are intact?
According to A&E Biography Close-Up: Sesame Street, there were 130 episodes in the first season. Also, each episode is an hour long. Many complete season sets for hour-long shows are more expensive then seasons ets for half-hour shows. Most of the SCTV DVD sets have nine episodes each (volume 4 has all 12 episodes from the fifth season). Those episodes were all approximately 90 minutes long. These sets usually cost close to $89.99 (depending on where you buy them... my local target only charged $69.99). I don't know if a kids show (even one made for adults as well, or even if it has a major adult fan base) would sell on DVD if it cost more than $49.99. A Sesame Street season set would probably cost more than $300.00. Season sets of the more recetn seasons would probably be cheaper (since each season since season 33 has had 26 episodes per season).

TotallySpiesFan

Reaction score
How about this:

Sesame Street: Season 1, Vol 1- Eps 1-30
Sesame Street: Season 1, Vol 2- Eps 31-60
Sesame Street: Season 1, Vol 3- Eps 61-90
Sesame Street: Season 1, Vol 4- Eps 91-120
Sesame Street: Season 1, Vol 5- Eps 121-130

How's that?

caribbean

Reaction score
Well it doesn't matter what format it is released in. I am sure that it would contain most of the stuff we yearn for on dvd (its SS after all). Lets just hope that the proposition comes true. If enough emails are sent to that link, i think that might actually help reafirm the existing need for such a box set.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
If Sesame Workshop is planning on releasing a DVD of classic Sesame Street, whetehr it is actual episodes or just segments, I wonder if there is a year limit for the DVDs. I wonder if the episodes/ segments would be any season (1-36) or if there would be a cut-off year (such as seasons 1-5, 1-8, 1-15, 1-20, and so on).

It would be great if Sesame Workshop put out more classic Kermit segments. Ater all, Sesame Workshop has permission to include old Kermit skits on video and new episodes. The only Kermit segments shown in the last few years was Do De Rubber Duck, where his role was just barely more prominate than his role in Emmit Otters Jugband Christmas. I hope that Sesame Workshop can get permission to include Rowlfs appearance in Let's Sing a Song of Nine and the picture of Miss Piggy in one skit and the picture of Dr. Teeth in Monsterpiece Theatre: Upstairs, Downstairs.

Even if Rowlfs cameo and pictures of various Muppet characters can't be shown, there are a lot of great Kermit skits that haven't been released (in their entirety) on video, such as the skit where grover gave Kermit ears, Kermits lecture on the letter W, A Song From Kermit, I Wonder About The World Aboce Up There, If I Were, and a lot of Sesame Street News skits. I would also like to see the skit where telly gave Kermit a headwarmer (as long as Martin Robinson didn't dub Tellys voice like he did in the DVD release of Big Bird In China), the skit where Kermit and Grover demonstrate heavy and light, and the skit where Grover was a plumber at Kermits home.

BooberFraggless

Reaction score
Martin Robinson dubbed Telly's voice on The Big Bird in China DVD??? That is crazy! Wow people are really worried nowadays about kids being confused about the difference of charachters. It must have seemed really strange seeing Telly with his old droopy eyed look with his new upbeat energetic Marty Robbinson voice. Sometimes it's not such a good idea to update things, and to leave well enough alone.