Breaking Back In

Java

Reaction score
So, this is the fan fiction I am working on, I hope you all enjoy it. I'm going to go ahead and post the prologue and chapter 1. I should have the next chapter to post before midnight tonight. After I finish posting these two though, I have to head downtown for a little bit.

Later!

Java

Reaction score
Prologue

In the distant future

The somber frog walked slowly on the path in Central Park to the spot he had designated "Jim's". From this spot he could see many one of the places that they last filmed together and Kermit thought that it had always felt peaceful to him. Jim had always enjoyed walking and nature anyway.

Kermit sighed as he lowered himself to the ground and looked skyward. Minutes ticked by as he contemplated the situation and how the Muppets had gotten into all of this.

Finally Kermit whispered, "I'm sorry, Jim. I've done the best I can but nobody listened to your message. No one has wanted to hear what you've had to say. We've got to take a break, now," Kermit started to choke on his words and a single tear slid down his cheek "but I promise, one day they will hear what you had to say. One day . . . well, we'll be safe until then."

A horn honked in the distance and Kermit struggled back up off of the ground. He looked around one last time and trudged towards the bus.

"I'm going to go back there someday . . ."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

50 Years Later

"But Mom," the frantic whisper came.

"Hush now, Amber, this has to be the way it is."

"I don't want to."

"I know that dear, but I've got to help my friends. You'll have a good time at your Grandmother's and the fresh air of the country will do you good. You've been so sick."

Amber sighed and looked pleadingly at her mother. The whistle of the train blew sharply against the quiet of the station.

"But, Mom" her plea came again. "There's something scary in . . ."

Quickly her mother clamped a hand around her mouth. "You must never," she started harshly, "speak of things you don't know about. Get on the train. I'll see you in six weeks."

Amber trudged onto the train, holding the small parcel her mother had slipped into her hands at the last moment. She took a seat in the back, next to the window and looked into her hands.

"Just great," she muttered to herself.

A small picture of a blue eagle was affixed to the top of the package. Her mother's secret symbol that the item in question must be opened in private, away from anything that could see it.

"It's going to be one long ride," Amber finished, trying to find a comfortable position to sleep in.

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 1

Amber sat in the middle of her oversized bed at her grandmothers house listening to the sounds that were emitted into the darkness. The only other time she had been here, her mother had told her that was just the character of the house. "That's how old houses are, Amber, full of character and noise."

Amber wasn't so sure. The noises that drifted to here ears seemed more organized than character should.

It had been pitch dark when the train arrived and felt twice as late when they pulled up at the house. Grandma helped to carry in Amber's bags and had seemed to take special interest in the package.

"That's such an interesting design," she had remarked of the blue eagle.

That was why Amber was just now getting to where she could open the package. The eagle was not to be taken lightly. Contents entrusted under the eagle were for Amber and her mother only.

Now that Amber thought about it, she realized it was very odd that her mother had sent the parcel with her. As serious as the eagle was, it also meant that fun, games, and silliness were in store. Acts that were still taboo in the community despite the post revolution laws that had promised to restore American culture to it's glorious past.

Amber nervously ran her fingers through her long auburn hair. It was now or never for she knew that the darkest hours were the most private hours.

As quietly as she could manage, she peeled the tape back from the box and turned back the flaps. She scanned the contents of the box, not quite believing what she saw.

A tiny green frog lay covered with a thin blanket, taking in oxygen through a hole at the bottom corner of the box. Amber had been so concerned with hiding the symbol from the other passengers that she had missed it.

The frog stirred and Amber reached down to gently touch him.

"Wha . . . what? Where am I?" he quietly asked as he rubbed his eyes.

"Well, your at my grandmothers house. With me. My mom sent you with me. Umm, my names Amber," she replied, not sure what to think.

"Amber," the little frog started, "Oh, oh, Amber! Oh, boy is this great," the little frog said, his voice gaining volume and momentum.

"Shh!!" Amber hastily responded. "You must stay quiet. You don't want to be found out."

"But, Uncle Kermit told me that when I met Amber that things were getting better and we would be safe again and . . ."

"Whoa, wait a minute. I don't know who Kermit is but maybe he doesn't realize that things aren't safe right now. I mean . . . I'm sorry, I haven't gotten your name yet."

"Oh, well, I'm Robin," the little frog replied becoming worried and a little shy. "And it has been a long time since I talked to Uncle Kermit. Gee, I hope he and the rest of the gang are okay."

"Well, I'm sure they are fine," Amber said hesitantly, "But, how is it that you think that I'm . . ."

A quick quiet knock cut Amber off. She held her finger to her lips motioning for Robin to be quiet.

"Amber, hon," she heard her grandmother call out. "Is everything all right?"

"Umm, yes grandma," she choked out.

"Who are you talking to in there?"

Amber's eyes widened and her voice shook a little as she answered. "Just to myself. I forgot for a moment where I was."

"Well, okay dear, have a good night," answered the tired voice.

Amber listened for her grandmothers footsteps to echo down the hall then whispered to Robin, "Well, I can't help you right now, but in the morning we will find a private place and figure out what to do."

Amber lifted Robin out of the box and placed him next to her on the bed. She waited for him to get comfortable and then lay down for her restless sleep.

Kermit watched as the stooped gray haired woman made her way from the house to his private spot next to the stream.

"Hi, Carrie" Kermit said in a hushed, excited tone.

"Oh, Kermit. I'm sorry," she said, "you won't be able to see Robin tonight."

At his crestfallen expression, Carrie scooped the frog into her arms for a gentle hug and hummed along with him to Halfway Down the Stairs.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Ooooh. I love it! Very good, very good indeed. Up to par with some of the best writers we have here. You will be a welcome addition to the FanFic author family. I can't wait for more!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah... Post more, post more...
Good start, intrigue and mystery concerning the Muppets... And the image of Sam meaning privacy between Amber and her mother, nice touch.

Java

Reaction score
Okay

I'll post more tonight but just because I said I would already. After that it will be late tomorrow or Wednesday before I'm able to finish and polish another chapter (I have to work).

I'm glad to know that you're enjoying it so far. And I'll stop delaying Chapter 2 now.

Java

Reaction score
Chapter 2

"Quuuiiieeettt!!" Kermit screamed from the make shift stage.

"And I said . . ."

"JANICE!" the collective group of muppets called out.

This was the first group meeting that Kermit had called in quite a long time. The group sat on the edge of the seats, barely containing themselves. The hoped that this was the news they had been waiting for.

"We're getting lazy here again," said Kermit. "I want us to start practicing some of the old acts. We need them to be in tip top shape when we are going to break back into the public eye."

"But Kermie," Miss Piggy called from the back. She had taken to hiding herself from the rest of the group because she didn't have the latest fashions. "we still haven't seen any signs from outside yet. Why should we bother to practice for what can't be?"

"Yea, boss," the go-fer chimed in, "the last time Carrie tried to get us supplies for our shows, it was a near fiasco. Some of the acts require much more than we have right now."

Kermit sighed, he knew this would be hard without having Robin in front of him. Robin was so close, though, he was tired of waiting, and the whinny group in their hideout was getting on his nerves.

"I just know, it's time to start, singing and dancing and enjoying silliness again. Just for ourselves if no one else."

"Sill-i-ness, Sill-i-ness, Sill-i-ness" called out Animals gruff voice and he started banging on the chair in front of him.

"Down Animal," Floyd said, pulling on his chain.

"Ahh, Sill-i-ness" Animal said again, his eyes wide.

"Floyd, let him go pound his heart out on his drums in the sound room. He needs the practice, man. We all need the practice, man." Dr. Teeth

"But, it's still not safe . . ." started Miss Piggy again.

With that the whole room errupted into pandamonium again. Kermit sat down on the stage and shook his head. His excitement had gotten the best of him and he couldn't fault them for not believing him. After trying to keep them under control for fifty years the fear had gotten the best of them too.

"Kermit," said the quiet voice of his best friend beside him, "Do you really think it's time for us to start practicing again? Even though we haven't had the official sign?"

"Yea, Fozzie, I do."

"You've never lead us wrong before," Fozzie said and stood up. "Hey, guys! Why did the man put a sweater on his hot dog?"

The group of muppets paused and looked up at the stage. They hadn't heard Fozzie tell a joke of any kind in ages.

"Give up. Because he heard it was a chilli dog!! Wocka, Wocka, Wocka" He called out and the group moaned. "I say we do this. It's time to sart the music, it's time to light the lights . . ."

As if on cue an envelope drifted from under the door at the top of the stairs and floated to the ground. Scooter was the first one to it.

"Uncle Kermit," he read aloud. "Uncle Kermit . . . Hey guys, Robin's here!! Let's get to work!!"

Kermit grabbed the envelope quickly before Scooter ran away in search of his clipboard so he could make his multiple lists of the items they needed to get started. He was very thankful that Carrie had been able to put some sound proofing into her basement or else the pandimonium would have awakened Amber.

The group that had agreed to hide with Kermit in Carries basment was shouting and laughing again. Gonzo was loading himself into the mini cannon they had brought with them so he could practice his cannonball acts. Camilla was standing by shaking her head as she prepared to light the cannon.

It was loud, it was caotic, it was the Muppets. Kermit smiled gently and slid to the back of the room to read his letter and grab his clipboard to start preparing the show.

"Now that you've written to Kermit, I think you should get back into Amber's room before she wakes up and discovers you're gone. We don't want her to start to worry." Carrie said to the little green frog sitting in front of her.

"I just wish I knew why she is so scared," Robin replied, "I know that we're in the same house but I really want to see Uncle Kermit. It's been so long."

"I know dear, but Kermit was doing a good job when he sent you back to the swamp. It wasn't pretty out here. But now you guys have a big job to do and Amber will help you with it once she knows about it. You've got to believe in all of you."

Robin sighed as he finished his hot chocolate Carrie had made to comfort him.

"Thank you," he whispered and hopped off to be there when Amber woke up.

RedDragon

Reaction score
Another great chapter...it's a shame I won't be able to read the next one...but I catch up again once I get back from my trip...see ya 'round!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Alright, I liked this chapter, but I am very, very confused! First though, a small question, and then the big one. When the letter came for Kermit, wouldn't it have floated down the stairs instead of up, since the muppets are in the basement?Now, why is Robin at Amber's house? I thaught they were at her grandmother's house? Well, I'm sure I'll find out; probably just an oversite on my part. Either way, looking forward to your next update!

Java

Reaction score
I did mean for the letter to float down and fixed the wording to reflect that. Thanks.

As for Amber - she is at her grandmothers. In my family it's always referred to as your room even if it's only for a night so I used the same type of possessive. It's the room Amber's staying in while at her grandmothers thus Amber's room.

Is that a little clearer?