Building the Puppet Workshop

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I'm turning my attic into my new workshop. Does anyone have suggestions for a layout that would be most efficient? Any pictures of your shops would help alot. A friend is running the wiring for me. Then I will insulate and drywall it. I have a band saw, drill press...ect...

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
I run my own puppet building workshop, unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it and have not been there in a while. I live 2 hours away from it. But you don't need to have an elaborate set up, sounds to me as if you have all the tools you need. The best advice I can give is set up some really long workbenches and a good fabric cutting table. Also I cover my benches with carpeting, the REALLY short gray work carpeting that Home Depot carries. It's very cheap, and makes a great work surface.

Kev

Beebers

Reaction score
I've seen a number of shops, and the best layout of all of them (belonging to a top puppet builder) has a very large open floorspace with an enormous central table dead center. It's of plywood sheeting on homemade supports/legs. I'd say it measures 8' by 16'. Covered in the short-nap carpeting described above. There's about 4' walking space all around it. Long workbenches along two walls. Cabinetry, fabric cubbies/shelves/cupboards, tool walls, pegboards, etc., along another, freestanding drill presses etc. have their own spots, dependent on personal workflow preferences. If one works with foam in large quantities a tall cabinet arrangement to accommodate rolls and large pieces is recommended, one with closable doors to protect the foam from the dust and detritus of the shop. Lots and lots of drawers built into the workbenches along the walls. Puppets, and puppets-in-progress, are stored in a separate room off this room set aside for that purpose alone.

:cool:

Blink

Reaction score
I am also setting up my workshop (in my new house). I think the basic logic is...consider the space. I would have lots of storage myself, but the space is limited so I had to work within the space.

The one thing that is very important to me is good ventilation. I have hooked up a strong hoodfan (from a stove) over my gluing station. I am venting the fan to outside, so that toxic fumes do not build up in my house.

I don't have any pictures, but the idea is the same as any of the other posts, include what you need. Do you keep alot of fabric on hand? You need to make storage for it.

If you use contact cements, of spray paints, include a vent system. It all comes down to space and personal needs.

- Blink :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
This all sounds interesting...BUT WHERE'S THE DOORS TO GET INTO THESE PLACES? AND ONCE IN, HOW'D'YA GET OUT?!

j/k

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I suppose a window will do. He'll need a ladder if he's putting this in his attic.

Show and Tell

Reaction score
I have an attic fan that is placed in a window of the attic. It almost sucks the foam and fabric right off my workbench when its turned up to high.:crazy: I planned to build a disply case that would keep dust out for puppets that I have built. I don't have the extra room for my puppets yet. The island workbench is a great idea that I think I might build. I am building 2 long workbenches with lots of cabinets as suggested. I think standard outlets run every 6 feet but I have them every 4 feet and 3 on the ceiling. I have a rather large attic. :big_grin: Why do you put that carpet on the workbenches?

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
Puppet_Builder said:
Why do you put that carpet on the workbenches?
I simply find it to be a better surface for working on. Having some plain wood surface area is good though too. For example, you don't want the cutting table to be covered with carpeting.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Plain wood table, if not treated or smooth, could create snags in your materials, though. If I didn't use something like a carpet over the wood, I'd at least lay down some plexiglass.