1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Calvin & Hobbes Plush dolls BY ME!

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Ray and Mia, Apr 9, 2006.

1. hennesprod New Member

Seesh.....I just re-read my post....I was on the phone at the time, so my brain was scabled a bit. My post shoul have read...

That is excellent! You have lots of talent, Mia. It is no small deal to take a 2D image and to project and build it into a puppet and have it still hold the character from the cartoon image came from. Great Job! (standing applause)
  2. calvin&pat New Member

Amazing

Would you ever considering making a doll To sell. I have searched the internet long and hard to try to find a hobbes doll to give to my girl freind that loves calvin and hobbes as much as I do. I myself do have some sowing and stiching abilities but not good enough to make something this complex. So I just put this question before you from one calvin and hobbes lover to another. Will you consider making one Hobbes doll to sell. I compleatly understand if this was something special you did your your husband and do not want to reperduce. However i hope that maybe you will just consider it. Thank you, you do exelent work

Pat:halo:
  3. Ray and Mia New Member

No Prob! I'd have to buy some more fabric to make a 2nd hobbes, but I guess it wouldn't be too hard to create another one, because I still have the patterns I created for the 1st Hobbes doll.

As for making hair for a Calvin doll.. this can be achieved very easily by sewing angled points with yellow fabric onto the head, then turning them inside out and stuffing them for a spikey 3D hair look.. so far so good! I'll post pics when he's finished..

I'm still thinking about making them into puppets.. but I don't know yet.

Thanks everyone for your kind words about my plush Hobbes!
  4. calvin&pat New Member

Mia that is some amazing news. Thank you so much, if you e mail me then we could work out some type of payment option. I can't wait to see how your calvin works out. Im sure it will look awesom. Thanks again, Pat
  5. aaronmojo Member

Very nice Hobbes! You really captured his expression there!
  6. Camellia New Member

Calvin & Hobbes items

quoted from the previous post: "Anyone ever heard of the comic strip Calvin & Hobbes?

I dunno.. what do you guys think?"

hello Muppet Central People:

Yes, we enjoy the comics.
    But sorry, we don't believe in people who don't hold the copyright making items of copyrighted articles to sell.

Please make them for your own use.
    Please don't sell them in the marketplace.

Cheers,
    Camellia
  7. Camellia New Member

Phillip and Cindy,

There have been many "I'll make a copyrighted item and sell it on Muppet Central or Ebay" posts here.

Can you please put up a category or notice for reporting such unlicensed material. The public needs to be educated.

Making something fun for yourself is one thing. It's nice.

But reselling it is disrespectful to the author, artist and is against copyright law. Sorry. :)

best wishes,
    Camellia
  8. Erine81981 Active Member

Have you ever tied to do a Hobbes of the toy that Calvin carries around? I would love to see a version of that one.
  9. Fozzie Bear Moderator

This is the rule in the forum rules:

The rules as set forth never indicated as far as replicas being made. Personally, I do not have a problem with replica sales. I think it is to the individual's own conscience if he/she chooses to do something like that and it is their responsibility to deal with the legalities of doing such a thing should the actual copyright holders decide to pursue this.

These, however, aren't replicas as no official merchandise was ever made of Calvin and Hobbes, and the only merchandise ever made (other than books) were the window stick-ons. The other thing, too, is if they are charging for the materials and time only, they can claim a loop-hole--especially if they announce that these are not their own creations or copyrights but are their work based on someone else's creation and the original owners hold the copyright.

Private messages/e-mails will probably get a quicker response from the moderators than posting in the threads, Camellia. However, I did see this one because I'm interested in the dolls being made.

At any rate, it isn't for us to police the forums about who is infringing copyright and there's a whole thread dedicated to that issue here: http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=11588&highlight=copyright

Since the only rule ever made was only for video trading, I will get with the other moderators to discuss handling Muppet replica, ebay auction announcements, and other copyrighted character "marketing" so the forums aren't flooded with discussions about said items...if it is even a real issue at all.
  10. Ray and Mia New Member

what the ****?

When the heck did I ever say I was trying to sell anything Copyrighted??
    I'M NOT SELLING anything!
    You do realize this is the pupperty forum don't you? Created to talk about ones puppet making skills, designs and such.
    I was clearly just posting photos of the stuft Hobbes doll/ puppet I made. Get your panties out of a bunch and get a life! Geeze..

P.S. from the looks of your website Camellia, it seems you have no problem re-selling copyrighted merchandise YOURSELF! http://www.camelliasoftware.com/muppetstore/
    Haha.. what a hypocrite.. -Mia
  11. GelflingWaldo New Member

I respect Bill Watterson greatly for his stance on merchandising his strip. Calvin and Hobbes is probably my favorite comic strip of all time (I own all the strips in book form), and I really agree with Watterson's stance. He has insisted that his cartoon strip should stand on its own as an art form. This has probably cost him of millions of dollars in additional income, but as an artist Watterson has stood strong. Watterson said in a 2005 press release: "Actually, I wasn't against all merchandising when I started the strip, but each product I considered seemed to violate the spirit of the strip, contradict its message, and take me away from the work I loved." Aside from books and calendars no legal Calvin and Hobbes merchandise has been produced. Watterson has faught for his artistic integrity with Calvin and Hobbes, such as with layout constraints and design limitations.
  12. Tztz Member

very professional and precise work.
  13. TopperFraggle Member

There's nothing wrong with reselling an official product that's copyrighted, it's selling your own creation based on a character that you don't own the copyright too.
  14. LLP New Member

actually, the 'new' calvin and hobbes strips you see in the newspaper are only reprints of the old strips.

::back to trolling::
  15. Tztz Member

I know it is a little 'off-topic' but do any of you knows Steve purcell? he is a very talented comix artist and character designer. The popular comix "Sam & Max" is his creation.
    I really like his wild style, he designed some amazing and strange creatures :concern:
  16. Was Once Ernie New Member

I met him a few years ago at the San Diego Comic-Con, but I don't know him.

:p
  17. nino New Member

hobbes doll is AWESOME!

The Hobbes Doll is nothing short of incredible to me. Any way to get one? My wife and I are expecting our first and mutually decided 10 years ago when we first started dateing if we had a boy to name him Calvin for obvious reasons. I would love to surprise her with a Hobbes doll. If you can, please contact me regarding this. Thanks
  18. Mr.Penguin Member

Incredible. I mean, wow.:D
  19. Ray and Mia New Member

Thanks everyone!!!
    I made a Calvin doll too (finally)
    I need to upload a photo of him and post it.
    Or I'll just take a pic of both the Calvin and Hobbes dolls sitting together..
    hehe!
    <3 -Mia
  20. Puppettown New Member

Great likeness! Always loved Calvin & Hobbes.