1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Can Lions Gate Release Muppet Television?(JHH)

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by beaker, Aug 22, 2010.

1. beaker Well-Known Member

I was amazed that Lions Gate, out of nowhere, decided to release the two Jim Henson Hour (non creature shop) specials Dog City and Song of the Cloud Forest. Dog City even features Rowlf the Dog on the cover, even though it's a post Disney buyout era. Storyteller of course had previously been released separately.

I was looking through the Muppet Television segments of the Jim Henson Hour recently, falling in love with it all over again(LOVE Digit! heh) and was wondering...can Lions Gate release these segments? I can imagine nothing cooler, short of Disney releasing Muppets @ WDW, than a Lions Gate set that featured all 11 of the episodes(Science Fiction, Monster Telethon, Ratings Game, Food, Garbage, Aquatic Life, Health, Musicians, Dog City Muppet Television intro, Miss Piggy's Hollywood, and Secrets of the Muppets) Im grateful to have them on vhs, the inner tube and two Jim Henson hour pitches, etc...but having them on dvd...it'd be just like when I flipped on the tv every Friday night in the summer of 1989!

For those saying due to Disney owning the Muppet brand, they couldn't...well, how do you explain Lions Gate being allowed to release that Muppet special from 1984 recently on dvd?
  2. BlueFrackle Active Member

with regards to the recent Docu being released, Disney and Sesame would have had to give permission OR all the rights could have been bought years ago when it was first made, and they could still be in action.

The last time Muppet Television aired it was shown as 'THE JIM HENSON SHOW'. So maybe it is still owned by the Hensons?

In BOLD is what is/has been available from the Jim Henson Hour:

* Episode 101: Science Fiction
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star Louie Anderson
    The Storyteller: The Heartless Giant

* Episode 102: Aquatic Life
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star Ted Danson
    Special: Lighthouse Island

* Episode 103: Monster Telethon
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star The Today Show
    The Storyteller: The Soldier and Death

* Episode 104: Dog City
    MuppeTelevision: pre-film show
    Special: Dog City

* Episode 105: The Ratings Game
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star Bobby McFerrin
    Special: Miss Piggy's Hollywood

* Episode 106: Monster Maker
    Special: Monster Maker

* Episode 107: Health and Fitness
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star Smokey Robinson
    Special: Song of the Cloud Forest

* Episode 108: Musicians
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star Buster Poindexter
    The Storyteller: The True Bride

* Episode 109: Garbage
    MuppeTelevision: Guest star k.d. lang
    The Storyteller: Sapsorrow

* Episode 110: Secrets of the Muppets
    Special: Secrets of the Muppets

* Episode 111: Living with Dinosaurs
    Special: Living with Dinosaurs

* Episode 112: Food
    MuppeTelevision:
    The Storyteller: The Three Ravens

So actually there isnt much left to release! I'm still hoping for a 'Lighthouse Island/Monster Maker/Living with Dinosaurs' set!
  3. antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

I think they could. And I hope they will!
  4. panmanthe2nd Active Member

I hope they will too!
  5. theprawncracker Well-Known Member

As I understand it... the only reason Lionsgate was able to release Henson's Place and Sesame Street: 20 And Still Counting, and even Dog City with Rowlf in-tact, is because JHC owns those specific specials and Disney and Sesame Workshop both agreed for their licensed characters to be released by a different company. It's hard to say what exactly Henson owns, but I'm fairly certain that The Jim Henson Hour was divided with the sale. The MuppeTelevision segments went to Disney and everything else stayed with Henson. Does that mean that Disney owns Digit and Beard and the like? I have no idea, but I would think so.

So in order for Lionsgate to release these segments, they'd have to strike a deal with Disney to release a Disney-owned part of a television show--something that Disney, if they wanted to release it, would likely release through their own company.
  6. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I think Henson's Place was originally distributed by a different company and Henson bought the distribution rights later. But regardless the special was made years before The Jim Henson Company sold any of it's characters. It would have been pointless for Henson to give itself permission to use it's own characters, and permission would have been needed when character rights were sold (otherwise Kermit would have never had to have been removed from Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas or The Christmas Toy).
  7. beaker Well-Known Member

Whoah! Where has this been released on dvd? Even if its a PAL dvd release, I so would want to track that down. Was this an extra on some release?
  8. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I've said it before... but there's definitely something about Lionsgate that managed to coax Disney into lending the likenesses. And I believe that's due in part to Lionsgate being the sub-license distribution company of those terrible 2000 era Disney ABC sitcoms (According to Jim...blech... Hope and Faith... gag... My Wife and Kids... barf). I kinda wish they'd get a sublicense to release the REST of Disney Afternoon's DVDs that Disney was unable to finish. Disney REALLY is fumble thumbs when it comes to non-movie DVD releases.

SW would definitely help out Henson. They believed in his vision... and let's be honest. Without Jim's Muppets Sesame Street wouldn't have lasted 10 years, let alone 41. He helped shape most of the characters that were staples... Cookie Monster, Big Bird, Ernie and Bert... even in an Elmo-centric format, they're still popular characters. Disney, however... well, they're not as generous. When Sony or whoever was releasing stuff owned by Henson, references to the Muppets had to be muted or deleted. That's why Dog City never saw the light of day on DVD in the US. But that licensing deal between those horrid sitcoms seems to be the leverage that Henson needed with Disney.
  9. panmanthe2nd Active Member

Me too! Can someone post a link to where you can get this? Thanks!
  10. BlueFrackle Active Member

The DVD with 'Miss Piggys Hollywood', 'The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show' and 'TMS: Loretta Switt' was once released in Portugal and is now LONG out of print! Sorry guys! I got mine a long time ago, and it cost alot of money.
  11. beaker Well-Known Member

I think if Secret Life of Toys and Emmet Otter were released these days, the Kermit segments would have been left in tact. For whatever reason, a decision was made to nix those during the more earlier days of the then new Disney buyout. Now days, had it not already been released, Kermit's parts would have stayed in. But you never know what's being mulled about or talked about.

I can almost guarantee that next year, when the full might of the Diz is put behind the Muppets, you'll see LionsGate, Disney and who knows who else reaching into the vaults to release stuff. I personally would LOVE to see Disney release a best of the Muppets.com and youtube on dvd.

I think Sony was a good partner for both the Muppets and Sesame Street. I bought all of the Sony Muppet releases, and a lot of the Sony Wonder stuff. LionsGate of course is a miracle worker, and Im excited to see what they'll be releasing next.
    Again, it'd be amazing if they could release Muppet Television, as that truly is one of the most inventive and interesting Henson projects of the last couple decades.
  12. beaker Well-Known Member

Oh trippy! No worries, I recently digitally copied a pretty good copy of the special I didnt even realize I had on vhs. Im such a sucker for anything late 80's! I wonder if there's a list of all worldwide official dvd releases of non North American NTSC Muppet stuff.
  13. panmanthe2nd Active Member

Oh well. What's the name of the DVD (I'll keep an eye out for it on eBay)?
  14. BlueFrackle Active Member

It's a Portuguese DVD called something like 'A Fantastica Miss Piggy'.

Here's a DVD cover that I made for my JHH set...

http://wozzafraggle.deviantart.com/art/JHH-DVD-Cover-176674386

CTS in Canada aired THE JIM HENSON SHOW a few years ago, so there ARE good quality MuppetTelevision segments out there - although not all of the intro/outros are complete. I have these bits edited together with the other material that's available and they make for a pretty cool set!
  15. beaker Well-Known Member

Anyway one can purchase said set ? :p

Mine are copies of copies from 90's era tape trades, but I think "well its better than the youtube uploads!"
  16. panmanthe2nd Active Member

Cool DVD cover!

I would also like to get hold of a copy of the JHH set you have, if that's possible somehow.
  17. panmanthe2nd Active Member

I use to belong to a website called DVDylan where fans of Bob Dylan traded DVDs of concerts. If 5 or 6 people wanted a DVD we started a 'vine'.

A vine is where the person who has the DVD makes a copy of it and sends it to someone who wants it. Then that person makes themself a copy and sends the original to another person who wants it, and so on till all the people who want it have it.

Do we do vines on here?

Could we start a 'vine' with this JHH set?
  18. beaker Well-Known Member

Well I know I have a massive archive of Muppet/Henson/Sesame/etc related specials, clips, etc dating from 1955 to the latest muppets.com, youtube exclusives and tv interviews.
    Got every single thing under the Henson Alternative umbrella,
    got all the D23 Muppet stuff, Muppet Family Christmas unedited(dvd rip fused with the missing 7 minutes), Muppets Live 2001, MV3d and preshow, every Muppets Tonight, every Muppets Babies, tons of Mopatop, Hoobs, virtually every interview with the Muppets on talk shows/morning shows since the early 90's, Muppets Take Over Today 2008, Cliffs Nightmare dvd rip, etc. I have all the Muppet Television episodes from JHH including the Dog City Muppet Television 10 minute intro; but would love a cleaner better quality version. I have most of the 1950's through 2000's Muppet related commercials. Most the interstitials, bumpers, outtakes, the complete Fraggle Looks For Jobs(vhs rip fused with the Henson youtube clips)
    I think other than a few pitch tapes, wrap parties, pilots and other stuff thats been kept internally and hasnt leaked to fan trade circles I have a lot of what's out there.

Actually I don't have any of the Statler and Waldorf at the movies, and still need to find a way to rip the rest of the Muppets.com sketches.
  19. panmanthe2nd Active Member

Wow! That's a lot of Muppet DVDs!
  20. MuppetDanny Well-Known Member

"Monster Maker" has been officially on VHS in Australia and laserdisc in Japan. Interestingly on the Japanesse laserdisc cover off Moster Maker has on it "Jim Henson Hour" and according to the Laserdisc database site, "Dog City" was released on laserdisc in Japan from the video label as well (No picture unfortunately) - Would this suggest full length Henson Hour episodes was released?