Cars 2

SSLFan

Reaction score
Wow, too much Mater? Mater is cool, but only in small doses..VERY small doses. Not much of a Larry the Cable Guy fan either.

I'm deciding whether to see this or skip it.
:coy:

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have to admit... I wanna say WHOA! That sounds bad, but I have to admit, I expected something like that all along. I'm sure things may be better in the final project, but I've been saying all along, this movie is basically being made because it was so successful a toy line.

Again, the two things that worried me about this project were the script problems and the fact it had to be bumped up in production. Seems to me it needs a longer gestation period than it got. I really don't like the idea of the movie being THAT Mater-centric, even though I expected it to be fairly reliant on him.

Disney

Reaction score
Give John Lasseter a chance here. He's been doing great things lately, and I can't imagine Cars 2 would be an exception.

lotusoftheleaf

Reaction score
There hasn't been a Pixar movie yet that I haven't enjoyed, though some I like less than others. Cars was probably my least favorite, but I still liked it to a degree. I actually used to not like A Bug's Life much until I saw it again a few years ago.

Disney

Reaction score
There hasn't been a Pixar movie yet that I haven't enjoyed, though some I like less than others. Cars was probably my least favorite, but I still liked it to a degree. I actually used to not like A Bug's Life much until I saw it again a few years ago.
Have you checked out the trailer yet? What did you think? Did you see it in 3D in the theaters?

Have you guys heard the news about the Toy Story 3 short that will be playing before Cars 2? How exciting.

Also, It's great to hear that everyone is excited for Cars 2. I should have a bunch of new clips for you guys after the Holidays. In the mean time, I hope everyone has a wonderful time around the Holidays, and a happy new year!

:smile:

beakerfan76

Reaction score
I'm a little hesitant on this one. Something tells me this film may only be made solely for merchandising purposes. On the other hand, Pixar proved they can indeed do sequels well (Toy Story, anyone?).

Don't get me wrong, I have the utmost confidence in Pixar, since TS3 was a huge and I mean HUGE cash-cow, and it's one of the best animated films to hit the silver screen, grossing over a billion, critics worshiping the ground it walked upon, etc. I think they're going to blow us away once again, even if the first Cars was a bit of a let-down (It's great, but doesn't hold up against other Pixar films)

These two mouthfuls aside, we can't really say anything until it comes out. Only time will tell if this'll be another shining trophy for them or if this'll be their first clunker. All we can do now is speculate.

Drtooth

Reaction score
You can never tell anything from a review, and I'm still going to see this. Of course, I think I really enjoyed Cars because I went in basically thinking very little of the film, and felt it was a pleasant surprise. Then I went to a MCD's that accepted gift cards so I could get one of the McD's figures... go figure.

I'm going to reserve judgment until I leave the theater completely after the end of the film. But make no mistake, this IS a very profitable merchandise generating film. So even if it doesn't have an adult charm, kiddies will go gaga for little die cast vehicles of new characters.

beakerfan76

Reaction score
You can never tell anything from a review, and I'm still going to see this. Of course, I think I really enjoyed Cars because I went in basically thinking very little of the film, and felt it was a pleasant surprise. Then I went to a MCD's that accepted gift cards so I could get one of the McD's figures... go figure.

I'm going to reserve judgment until I leave the theater completely after the end of the film. But make no mistake, this IS a very profitable merchandise generating film. So even if it doesn't have an adult charm, kiddies will go gaga for little die cast vehicles of new characters.
I agree with that first fact. I will take the reviews with a grain of salt, but in the end, I make my own opinion.

Same goes for Cars 2. If it's more of the same, Pixar bringing us the proverbial goods like they did with the Toy Story series, that's great, but on the flip-side, if it's a piece of garbage made solely for children and their parents' checkbooks, so be it. Like I said, given their track record, I have very little doubts that this film will be a stinker.

If it was Dreamworks, however, I'd have plenty of doubts, but that's another beast to hunt.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Dreamworks has been pretty solid lately. Even Shrek 4 wasn't a pop culture fart feat that actually valued the plot over random idiocy. I don't completely know about Kung Fu Panda 2, but I was really on the fence about the first one when that came out. I was almost going to skip it entirely... then I saw it, and it was almost an actual comic kung fu film, instead of a bunch of dumb celebrity voiced animals saying stupid stuff like I thought. I swear, they turned a corner starting with Over the Hedge... They'll never make another movie as bad as Sharktale again, that's for sure.