Cartoons that seem to last forever

Drtooth

Reaction score
Actually, they are also in syndication on non-cable channels, with quite a few edits (though ironically, the JFK Pez despenser gag remained in the episode, which was cut on DVD).

Xerus

Reaction score
I hope Family Guy sticks around for a long time, it's my favorite show on TV right now. I did notice they are in syndication on TBS though.
I remember a few years ago, Family Guy got canceled for a while, but the fans demanded that they bring it back, so it got revived and is still going on.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I wished they would've done the same for Brandy & Mr.Whiskers.

travellingpat

Reaction score
Family Guys been cancelled like 3 times but it just keeps coming back

ughh Brandy and Mr Whiskers...i hated that show

karamazov80

Reaction score
I've noticed that these cartoons have been going on for many years and won't seem to get cancelled anytime soon.

The Simpsons are starting their 19th year this season.

King of the Hill will be starting its 11th year.

South Park has been renewed until 2011.

Pokemon has been airing in America for 9 years.

And Arthur has done it's 11th season so far.
I'm only familiar with the first three of these, and of those three, I have never liked King of the Hill, I think that the Simpsons, including the movie, has become nigh unwatchable in recent years, and South Park can be extremely hit or miss.

The reason the problem with the Simpsons and South Park, I think, is that its just really hard for any type of show to keep fresh after going for so long (even a show as irreverent as South Park). Writers, actors, producers, and everyone else involved seem to lose interest, and they start to fall into boring patterns. 24 is the epitomy of this nowadays (in movies, look at X-Men 3 and Spiderman 3--ugh). . .in some ways, I think the 5-6 year mark for a TV show is about enough, and for that, I'm glad that the Muppet Show, Arrested Development, Monty Python's Flying Circus, and some others never stayed around long enough to get really stale.

travellingpat

Reaction score
I agree with you in most cases, The Simpsons is great in some recent episodes but the season premiere really did not live up to some of the past ones

MrsPepper

Reaction score
King of the Hill has never been funny, ever. Maybe it's cause I'm Canadian, but honestly? I just don't get it. I don't know why it's on TV.

And I really think the Simpsons needs to end. It's running on a concept from the late 80's / early 90's, and trying to make it work forever is just making it painful to watch. I've always liked Futurama much more than the Simpsons because it had a really fresh concept (mind you, they're bringing it back next year a la Family Guy so we'll see if it gets stale too).

I'm a giant Family Guy fan, but I'm not writing this from a biased point of view or anything. Family Guy is really appropriate for this day and age. It's 2007 (not 1989, Simpsons!) and people are sick of the same old things, and want something fresh, honest, and just plain funny, which Family Guy is. It's just right for what's going on in the world right now because it has no pretenses, and everyone and everything is spoken about and made fun of, and it's poignant while being freaking hilarious at the same time. And it's only been on 5 seasons (going on 6), not 25 million.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I agree with you in most cases, The Simpsons is great in some recent episodes but the season premiere really did not live up to some of the past ones
Am I the only one dissappointed they only incorporated bits of the movie during the opening sequence? Seriously. They could have had a great storyline about rebuilding the town, and they just went off on a disappointing tangent. it was funnier than some recent episodes, but it was just off the mark. had they just incorporated the movie into that episode, they really would have had something. I really am looking forward for the next film. But after that, they really have to wind this show down.

I love Family Guy and all, but I think American Dad is highly underrated. Funny thing, because they only brought back Family Guy because they got Seth to do American Dad. I thought the Star Wars episode was pretty good. A might long, since it was a full hour, and I really think if they tried they could have condensed the entire trillogy into a half hour (it's been done, BTW), but it was still good. King of the Hill pretty much is cancelled (I think) and they're just finishing airing the rest of the episodes they have.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
and I really think if they tried they could have condensed the entire trillogy into a half hour
They didn't do the whole trilogy, Drtooth, just the original Star Wars film. Maybe if they really went fast they could have got the whole trilogy in that hour, but if it were half an hour it would just be way too fast.
And you can't say that they didn't try, because there is so much attention to detail in the Star Wars episode, and alot of care in the pacing and everything. I don't see it working another way.

Funny thing, because they only brought back Family Guy because they got Seth to do American Dad.
That's the first time I've heard that. I'm pretty sure it's general accepted knowledge that DVD sales are the reason the show came back.

And American Dad is ridiculous and funny. Roger is the best.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They didn't do the whole trilogy, Drtooth, just the original Star Wars film. Maybe if they really went fast they could have got the whole trilogy in that hour, but if it were half an hour it would just be way too fast.
Of course, by condensing it into a half hour, they would have had to change the story line. Animaniacs did it, but they cut a lot out. I think they did a spectacular job with it, but they had a few too many rambling jokes in it. I think the shorter gags worked best (like Danny Elfman doing the score) I hear they plan on doing the rest of the trillogy.

That's the first time I've heard that. I'm pretty sure it's general accepted knowledge that DVD sales are the reason the show came back.
It's a little of both, actually. The DVD sales were what got it to be repeated on CN and it got general interest back. So when Seth Approached Fox to do AD, they asked if he was willing to do more FG.

Luckily, this is exactly the same thing happening with Futurama. unfortunately, they're just the 3-4 DTV films they are making cut into 20 minute segments, not any new half hour shows. Which is a mixed blessing, since I don't have cable and I can't watch it on Comedy Central. Out of all the sitcoms, Futurama and The Critic were my favorites.