1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Center for Puppetry Arts taking down Henson exhibits this summer

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Slackbot, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

In the 2013-2014 program brochure from the Center for Puppetry Arts they listed both the Henson exhibits ("Wonders from his Workshop" and "Jim Henson: Puppeteer") as being available through August and September. Other exhibits are listed as being in those spaces afterward.

I called the CPA and asked if they planned to exhibit any of those puppets elsewhere in the museum, and they said that no, that was not planned at this time. I told her that I'd miss 'em, that those were the reason I had a membership, so I could "visit" with them occasionally. She said, yeah, but puppets have to "rest," with the wear and tear of the light on 'em. (Um...yeah.)

I know that puppetry is not all Muppets, but Henson's work popularized puppets, made them part of the cultural consciousness or whatever you call it. And, on a more practical level, the Muppets are a huge draw. Lots of people go to the museum so they can see Big Bird, Kermit, Red Fraggle, Ernie, Rowlf, and all the other Muppets & Henson puppets over there. They come for the Muppets and stay (hopefully) for the other puppets. I can see the CPA's revenue from individual and family memberships and museum admissions taking a hit because of this.

Sigh. At least the Skeksis, Link Hogthrob, and Julius Strangepork will still be in the permanent exhibit (I assume), but that's hardly the same.

2. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What? No! They can't be doing this!
    I've never been there, but I've seen some pictures and things, and it looks fantastic.
    Jim Henson and the Muppets have been such a big part of Puppeteer history. I don't know how they can remove this. :(

Any news on where the puppets are going? :concern:

3. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Actually, anything can deteriorate with age and being kept in the wrong kind of environment. Light COULD do damage, though I doubt indoor lighting would do anything, though if they were kept in the sun then yes, they would be damaged. So could improperly sealed exhibits letting in humidity and stuff. Although if a museum didn't know how to properly display something I'd be very concerned :/

Still...that makes zero sense for a puppetry museum to be removing their Henson exhibits. Hehe...I'd love to see their business take a dive because of it, as mean as that sounds :scary:

4. Slackbot

The puppets in qustion are kept indoors, no windows, in sealed cases. The Skeksis is kept in a dimly-lit room, which made it very hard to draw; perhaps that's to keep it from deteriorating. I understand that the Dark Crystal puppets are prone to crumble; I've heard they have an UrRu in storage that is in very poor shape.

5. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh! :eek:
    I can't believe the Henson exhibits are going to be taken down soon. I thought they would be permanent displays.
    When's the next Henson exhibit going to happen after this one goes down? :cry:

6. Muppet fan 123

They'll still be doing the traveling exhibit, right?

7. FrackleFan2012

Nope. The Jim Henson's Fantastic World exhibit finished in March 2012 at the Museum of Moving Image in Astoria, Queens.

8. Muppet fan 123

Right, but it moves every so often. First it was in Florida, then it went to Chicago, and New York. I hope we see it in more places in the future. :concern:

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  9. FrackleFan2012

I hope to see more Muppet exhibits in the future, too, maybe with a Frackle added.

10. NextJim1225

NextJim1225 Member

You know, there are working on a Jim Henson wing. They'll be dedicating it mostly to not only well known shows and projects, but to some great lesser known things as well. Honestly I think it's worth the wait (but if they do start to lose business, they'd better get into the construction process)!

FrackleFan2012 likes this.
  11. FrackleFan2012

Great! Can you give me the source of the news?

12. CtrPuppetryArts

CtrPuppetryArts New Member

We apologize for any confusion. While our current special Jim Henson exhibits close this fall, this is so that we may prepare to start a comprehensive expansion that will increase our museum's available space. This was always the intent with these temporary, special exhibits.

It means we'll soon have more room to display even more items, including more puppets by Jim Henson and his collaborators. We'll be announcing more details soon, but until then don't fear that this is it - this is only the beginning!

Also, be aware that a few puppets in the current Henson exhibits are actually rotating out this week! Next Tuesday, March 26, there will be several new Henson puppets on display for you to enjoy. Rest assured the puppets that you mentioned -- the Skesis and the Pigs in Space characters -- will remain on view. Our recent addition of Cookie Monster will also remain on view until November, when he is swapped out for a new Henson puppet… but, we can’t tell you who just yet as we want it to be a surprise!

This is an exciting time for us here at the Center for Puppetry Arts - we encourage you to take part in the excitement as often as you can! And thanks for being fans of the Center and reading our guide so thoroughly!

--Melissa McCarriagher, Exhibitions Director, Center for Puppetry Arts

13. FrackleFan2012

Thanks for the explanation, Melissa. I can't wait for more new puppets coming to the museum soon. :)

14. Msfunstuf

Msfunstuf New Member

I was in Atlanta in Feb and had just a couple hours to visit the Museum. WOW. So enjoyed it, especially the Henson exhibit. I've been to Atlanta several times and did not know the museum was there. We will be back!

15. Slackbot

Ah. I must have misunderstood, because the program lists new exhibits going up in the spaces that those exhibits occupied. If the museum is expanding, this is very good news.

Thank you for giving us the official word, Melissa, and welcome to Muppet Central. I may be coming by around the end of April, as I have a bit of vacation time then.

16. Muppet fan 123

*Phew* You guys had us scared there. It even sounds more exciting now!

Thanks for the update! :)

WillyThePig likes this.
  17. mupcollector1

mupcollector1 Well-Known Member

I can't wait for that really big Jim Henson section that I've heard so much about, 700 of the original Muppets and props all together. When that's built and all set, I would travel to Atlanta to check that out. :)

18. FrackleFan2012

I can't wait to go to Atlanta. It is really far away from my area. I can't wait to see the large bunch of Muppets that are going to be there. Maybe, they'll even add Muppets and Creature Shop puppets from productions after Jim's death such as Dinosaurs, Muppets Tonight, Farscape, Bear in the Big Blue House, and Mopatop's Shop.

19. FrackleFan2012

For anyone who went to see the new Muppets on March 26th or later, which specific ones were there?

20. Slackbot

I went to the CPA today. Some puppets have been taken down and other puppets have been added. Here's what I can remember:

The Southern Colonel has been swapped out for T. R. Rooster.
    Sir Didymus has been swapped out for some dolls from Sarah's room. There's a teddy bear, two clocks, a Firey, and Ludo.
    Kermit has been moved to the Henson room, and Cookie Monster is in his place.
    In the Henson room, Jim, The Swedish Chef, Rowlf, Ernie, and the La Choy Dragon have been taken down. King Goshposh and Sherlock Hemlock have been added. (I have no idea what Hemlock is doing in there, as Nelson performed him, not Jim.)

I spoke with some of the staff. They still have a new wing planned to be a permanent home for Henson-related puppets. They hope to have it open by the end of 2014. However, I'm not getting too excited, as we've been hearing about this for years. It was supposed to be open by now, and ain't nothing happened yet.

Regarding the removal of the Henson displays this summer, the staff didn't talk a whole lot about that, but the puppets are on display by courtesy of the Hensons, and I got the feeling that the CPA simply can't have the exhibits up forever.

I brought Janken with me, and he got to see a bit of his heritage. The staff liked him too. [​IMG]